David Louis brand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chinese made, mostly knock off european designs

So their Be and ceramic dome tweeters came up on a google search - curiosity got the better of me. Neo magnet motor, some copper to be seen, reasonable looking response, but not much more info ie the purity of their domes etc.

Aliexpress page
AliExpress Mobile - Global Online Shopping for Apparel, Phones, Computers, Electronics, Fashion and more

Anyone tried their products? Dare one say they don't look too bad at first glance. but I guess there's an old adage to be mentioned at some point.

b76955d863cf3702f7321234c0a858cc.jpg
0c15815d2a14cddec1889addb001b9f6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have been seing David Louis tweeters on ebay for a couple of years now and came to a conclusion that it's not worth taking a chance while there is so many good quality units from reputable manufacturers. The best sounding cheap dome tweeter available in Croatia used to be Monacor DT 99, and then something happened and it became significantly pricier, probably thanks to a positive review in a DIY magazine. lol

Reactions: 1 user
A friend passed over their Be and ceramic domes for evaluation. The Be is a thin Be coating over a copper dome. It sounded quite lifeless and undynamic. The treble had no sustain. It was there and gone. The ceramic was a bit nicer to listen to but not up to my reference ScanSpeak silk domes. I understand copper is very heavy compared to silk or genuine Be. Not my cup of tea at all. For the same or cheaper the Scan or SB silk domes are far better.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thank your friend for us. And you for reporting on them.
Could you(or someone near you) get us some measurements? I'm having the usual "divided by a common language" problem. I get that there was something unpleasant in the sound, but if I said the sound was undynamic it would mean too much sustain(energy retention). There and gone means to me that the sound stops when the signal stops. Which being good is obviously not what you mean. If the price plummets someone might try them if we know it's a wide dip or slope in the upper range, but a real hole and it's hopeless.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Okay. Looked up usage and disposal. Only uncompounded beryllium is so reactive. Alloys are, in fact rather stable. Copper/Beryllium alloys are used to protect electronics in marine environments.
Only unalloyed beryllium requires unusual care in handling.
So where does this leave us? The fancy manufactures tout "high purity". This means that the alloy is not impure, not that it is not an alloy. The claim of deposition must mean that a high Be alloy is deposited on a Cu alloy. It won't be pure copper, as oxidation would add mass, and for a tweeter dome it would be significant.
So I'm not so worried. Except about the price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.