David Louis brand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am not a fan of full range drivers, but I have heard the L.Cao 8" in an OB and it was actually quite OK, about as OK as anything would be in that particular design. Build quality was quite good.

As always caveat emptor, but sometimes satisfying your curiosity may also prove to have a fortuitous outcome. (or not)

Re their Be tweeters. If the earlier post is true, I'm quite surprised they have got away with painting a beryllium coating on top of copper for so long. I assumed the beryllium they used was probably not the purest.
Pretty sure this thread will come to their attention and they'll chime in.

I bought many drivers from them before:
1. 1 pair of 4" Full range
2. 1 pair of 5" full range
3. 1 pair of gold "Be" Tweeter

All are VERY good except the BE tweeter(below spec.) and I got some money back, I still haven't use them yet. Items 1 & 2 are very good, spec. and sound wise for the price I paid for them. I will buy from them again.

I don't know much about metallurgy, so does anyone know? WHY anyone would use copper for a tweeter dome? Is lead too hard to get? Or something heavier?

Must have something to do with getting the beryllium on there? Or maybe it's just another BS sciency sounding feature to label the thing with?

Back in the 90s, Audax used to sell a tweeter with "vapor deposited aluminum." This was a great way of saying "we spray paint the tweeter dome."

I believe that's the same reason there's beryllium coated copper domes. It's a gimmick.

Chinese made, mostly knock off european designs

So their Be and ceramic dome tweeters came up on a google search - curiosity got the better of me. Neo magnet motor, some copper to be seen, reasonable looking response, but not much more info ie the purity of their domes etc.

Aliexpress page
AliExpress Mobile - Global Online Shopping for Apparel, Phones, Computers, Electronics, Fashion and more

Anyone tried their products? Dare one say they don't look too bad at first glance. but I guess there's an old adage to be mentioned at some point.

b76955d863cf3702f7321234c0a858cc.jpg
0c15815d2a14cddec1889addb001b9f6.jpg

DIYMA has been raging about this for over a year now : Hot eBay deal - Alpine SPX PRO tweeters - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

IMHO, you get what you pay for :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you look this alloy up it does seem it might be a good material for use as a dome tweeter.
I beg to differ. See my post #12 in this thread. I have compared quite a few tweeters in the last few years including the David Louis offerings. My reference is the ScanSpeak 2905/97000 which I know very well. I can't be bothered to list them all but my comparisons include many of the current silk domes from Peerless/Vifa/Scanspeak/SB as well as super expensive Transducer Lab Be, ceramic and kevlar domes. In the pics below are a line up of my test subjects and the rig I use to compare tweeters. I mate them with a Scanspeak Revelator 18W8531G00, one of my favourite mid range drivers. To get to the point, the David Louis CuBe was my least preferred tweeter of the ten or so tweeters tested. This opinion is based mainly on the subjective quality but I have included a raw FR of the David Louis raw response which shows a peak around 15kHz which is much lower than a typical good dome tweeter and consistent with high mass dome.

Attachments

• DSCF1393.jpg
    DSCF1393.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 1,195
  • DSCF1391.jpg
    DSCF1391.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 1,182
  • DSCF1400.jpg
    DSCF1400.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • DSCF1591.jpg
    DSCF1591.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 1,125
  • DSCF1594.jpg
    DSCF1594.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSCF1597.jpg
    DSCF1597.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
There's an old question answered with a questtion:
"Are they lying?" "Well, are they selling?"

What I'm thinking, Bon, is you may be able to put a nice coil/dome assy on that pretty motor, as David Ralph has done a few times.
Thanks for the graph. We could not have a better example of a worst-case scenario- that's not just a dip and a peak, that's a hole and a spike!

that's not just a dip and a peak, that's a hole and a spike!
Ignore the very last bar of the plot. This is just indicating of the total level. The missing bar just before it is just a seperator from the last plot bar at 20 kHz and the level bar. It does not indicate a deep hole. Sorry, I should have spelled out the format of my Real Time Analyser bar graph.
The peak at 15kHz is real though, as is the shallow dip just before it.

I got the following Davidlouis tweeters:
1. copper-beryllium;
2. textile dome (td330 dynaudio "based");
3. beryllium mk.2.

Got it for my PC speakers, was cheap and actually is good enough for that type of speakers. Better than most commercial PC speakers.

Textile dome is pretty good, I haven't yet fully tested it but listened to it as a replacement for Dynaudio d260 as one of Dynaudio drivers failed.

I just got beryllium mk2 tweeters. Initial listening was promissin. I just plugged it instead of mid-high system so the lower cut off frequency was about 800Hz, active 4th order Bessel. I hope I will not change my opinion once it is properly tested.

cheers,

2. textile dome (td330 dynaudio "based");

Textile dome is pretty good, I haven't yet fully tested it but listened to it as a replacement for Dynaudio d260 as one of Dynaudio drivers failed.

I'd be very interested to hear more about this tweeter from yourself (or others). I'm pretty sure the D280s in my Dynaudio Audience 72 SEs are giving lower output than they should be (I have some Audience 42s to compare), so I'm eyeing up potential replacements.

Next step is to take the D260s from the 42s and trial them in the 72s. Need to look more into how comparable the D260 & D280s are first though...

I noticed that Davidlouis has an interesting looking 12” fullrange driver.

I was looking at a pair of Audio Nirvana 12” but their prices are up 25% thanks to Tarrifs so I whilst waiting for the Tariffs to end I got curious looking for alternatives that direct ship to Canada.

2 unit DavidLouis P12 hiend 12 inch fullrange full range speaker | eBay

Attachments

• A1634621-1270-4B6F-94FD-B6C64F525E4E.jpeg
    A1634621-1270-4B6F-94FD-B6C64F525E4E.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 237
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.