SB Acoustics SB17NAC35-4 measurements!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Use of SB17CAC-4 plus SB26CDC - "ceramic" kit.

Hello everybody!
Bromo kit from SB Acoustics website mounted in old boxes of one of the most recognised German loudspeaker company. I assembled them last weekend. The drivers fit into their front panels as if they were designed genuinely for them :). Front panel varies from original concept by 0,5 cm in width, 1,5 cm in height from the top to the tweeter and practically has the same distance between the centres of the transducers, thus I made some quick simulations from frd and zma files whether these small variations could have any serious impact on the performance. In practice the simulator shows the frequency chart seems to be a bit of a bit more "horizontal" so I decided not to modify original scheme of the crossover. Crossover's design is surely some compromise between preservation of the sensible and satisfactory sensitivity of the small and narrow front loudspeaker and its possible "linear" performance, besides the designer had much better conditions and acoustical testing background to decide about its final version. The volume of the boxes is around 12 litre thus lower by some 3,5 - 4 litres from original design, therefore longer bass reflex port is demanded but feasible to be installed within the box. Inner flange of the port tube is highly recommended. "Boxes" are intended to play in a rather small room so the amount of the bass should even exceed typical needs. While initial auditioning I was forced to adjust the lenght of the port (longer than calculated but still a couple of Hz above very low Fs of the midwoofer) to eliminate the excess of the bass in the room. First impression - outstanding performance with a lot of detail and truly impressive, well built and 3-dimensional soundstage. I compared their performance with Paradigm Studio 20 markI I bought over 20 years ago, which are still some reference regarding linearity and "dissapearing" in the room. I'd say this ceramic kit is on par with these Canadians although physically it is completely different design about how both transducers - midwoofer and tweeter should optimally co-work in the monitor size box. But it excels in clean but not "clinic" sound, i'd say the tweeter is rather "velvety" and very refined in presentation. Of course one must remember that Canadian manufacturer also advanced their products during last two - three decades. Even the most difficult concert grand piano sounds very realistic and convincing, the same with harpsichord, violin. The price of the whole project seems to be a joke compared with the sonic results. Really modern drivers for every music lover's pocket. Kudos to Danesian Audio team. Photo from initial auditionig / testing below (of course without another boxes above them when listening to the music, photo made on purpose, finally they sit on the proper height stands from professional maker, tweeter on the height of a listener's ear). Good wattage supply recommended, 35mm linear motor of the 118 cm2 woofer needs some pretty activation energy for its "pistonic" work forth and back :). P.S. If you consider use of this specific woofer in the closed cabinet (although very low Qts= 0,29 does not indicate its sensible use in closed box) arrange some 9 litre one (Qt = 0,71); 5 dm3 is much much too less, the transducer will be very compressed and limited in its capabilities. If you do the project with these drivers with bass reflex from the scratch, use cabinets of 16 litre volume and consider the port dia at least 65 - 70 mm with fb tuned around 39 - 42 Hz.

Attachments

• Bromo_concept.jpg
    Bromo_concept.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,071
Yeah, things go forward - I listened to Paradigm berilium tw and mid, plus 2 8" woofs - finally Paradigm speakers I would buy. As for the Bromo kit - 3k x-o is way too high in my opinion, 2-2.2k or lower will provide better supression of cone break up, also directionality would improve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.