Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

I used whatever the default was from the Volvotreter spreadsheet. It probably was set at 1.5 aspect ratio.

That is what I did use, volvotreter do has 1.000 in defauld state making a square.

I have done the numbers now as you did in akabak, so it is more clear for me, but I did see you use scale in akabak, is this because you did scale your horn? I did not and is these script not usable for me?.

thanks

kees

Attachments

• trynergy.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 64
  • tractrix.jpg
    tractrix.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 395
  • tractrix1.jpg
    tractrix1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 385
I'm going to try the scaling into Adobe reader printing windows to print at 2" throat size !:hypno1::faint:

Did you measure your horn at the mouth to have the 2.83 V sensivity; or at 1m ? Just curious about that... In my case I just planned to have max 115 dB peaks max with a - 30 db average listening level max, so 80 dB !

Just to know please the difference of sensivity with 4 Faital pro 8E100 in serie // (so 91 + 6 dB) and the 10F/84 ? If you ever measure the 10F in it... I know you have started an other project already :eek:

If I can match 114 dB peaks max to 100 Hz output from the horn with the woofs it will be cool ! (so the faital woofs with Fs at 60 hZ and 91 dB at this price is hard to beat ! ).

Ok, I'm going to my printer to see if I understood your post about the 0.70 scaling to match 2" throat in acrobat reader for the horizontal walls first !

C'est parti !

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The predicted sensitivity at about ~108dB at 1 m and 2.83v. However, as the HF falls off by 12dB or so in practive above 3.5kHz, in order to EQ this flat requires reducing the peak sensitivity by -12dB (can be done with a simple 6uF high pass cap as Kees pointed out). Thus, overall sensitivity, once EQ'd flat is more like 96dB from about 500Hz to 20kHz. But a +9dB boost to a 87dB 3.5in driver is still quite impressive.

Note that if the driver is used with a high pass filter, especially a higher order one via DSP and the HF's are EQ'd with boost, it draws more power at HF's but stays loud assuming your amp can handle it. Since cone doesn't move much, it is not an excursion limited speaker but thermal dissipation limit.

So 114dB+ peaks via EQ boost are no problem.

I measured at 1m (distance from mouth exit plane) and 2.83v (as measured with Fluke 100 DMM in AC volts with 1.5kHz sine wave excitation) and got 95dB using a 6.6uF high pass cap.

Here is RTA showing about 0.19% THD at 95dB and 1m.

517614d1449164338-presenting-trynergy-full-range-tractrix-synergy-trynergy-10f-2.83v-rta.png

Attachments

• trynergy-10f-2.83v-rta.png
    trynergy-10f-2.83v-rta.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Brave 10F/8424G00... you will become big !

Believe me or not I am on the front of my laptop screen with a meter to try to zoom on the pdf to have 5 cm (around 2") throat ! Rock 'n Roll ! Hopping the printing can follow ! If not I re read your post...

Thanks for the measurement of the 10F ! quite good for 2.83 v and even enough with 96 dB after down EQ (the capacitor I assume !) , it match the 4 Faital pro per side which are 97 dB after 2 // putted in serie to have 4 ohms ! Too bad they don't make it in 16 ohms, but at this price it's good !

The predicted sensitivity at about ~108dB at 1 m and 2.83v. However, as the HF falls off by 12dB or so in practive above 3.5kHz, in order to EQ this flat requires reducing the peak sensitivity by -12dB (can be done with a simple 6uF high pass cap as Kees pointed out). Thus, overall sensitivity, once EQ'd flat is more like 96dB from about 500Hz to 20kHz. But a +9dB boost to a 87dB 3.5in driver is still quite impressive.

Note that if the driver is used with a high pass filter, especially a higher order one via DSP and the HF's are EQ'd with boost, it draws more power at HF's but stays loud assuming your amp can handle it. Since cone doesn't move much, it is not an excursion limited speaker but thermal dissipation limit.

It falls of with 6 dB octave above 3 Khz, caused by canceling, that is why the cap did work.

But I am started now with a plug, and look what it does, if it falls of at 10 Khz for example then a simple cap do not work it get just to small for the lower band so that will be then electronic shelfing.

regards

Well,

Working on the horizontal wall pdf, I reduce with Acrobat Reader the original patern of page 1 for having a 2" throat width (=66.5% of the original size) ! With multi-tiles print I got 4 pages ! But If the throat size is accurate both the mouth width and the horn size are not accurate.

When I reduce (without printing) to 0.70% the original pattern, the size I find is larger : 71.3 cm x 42.24 cm (28.07" x 22.63")!

Hummmm, I missed something, I will re do it tommorrow after a cup of coffe.... maybe more, 4 cups !:D

Art,
What do you consider a level of distortion that is still listenable when at 114dB peak?
That would really depend on the type of signal being played and the frequency and type of distortion, odd being worse than even order, AM/IM distortion can be worse yet.
Single number - 10% THD is still listenable (to me) for most contemporary pop music.

I re-purposed a pair of 12 speaker mini-line arrays with a horn profile similar to your Trynergy.
With EQ (and HP at 1000 Hz) they maxed out under 115 dB (regardless of input power) at one meter, and sounded very distorted at that level, which is why I'm so interested to see your distortion results at higher drive levels.

Art

I suspect that the Trynergy can do better than 10% but let's see - I need to find an amp that can drive more than 40 watts to do this.
Xrk971,

You could mono bridge a stereo amp (assuming both sides use common "-" outputs- some amps already are "bridged" and "-" outputs are isolated).
"Y" cord the two inputs with polarity reversed on one channel.
Use the "+" outputs from L/R for the bridged mono output, equivalent to the sum of the two sides 4 ohm power rating using a single 8 ohm load.

Art

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's already BTL class D so cannot do a bridge. I have a 250w IRS2092 and Abletec power supply that needs to have its secondary outputs loaded in order for whole thing to be stable. I need to be careful not to blow the little 10F - pricey little buggers. Just takes time to setup. My current amp maxed out at 12.8v and I measured 108dB and THD at 0.7%. Mostly H2. The HD floor tracks the fundamental with no nasty peaks or bumps rearing up, yet.

Last edited:
I have my old taped together tiled plans somewhere. Let me dig them out and see how big they physically are. If the throat is correct, the mouth should be correct - look at the grid that is printed. If that grid size is square and consistent on all pages, it is good.

I don't think the plan is the reason but more my understanding to read with precision a technical process in english ! There are several people whom already build it !

I simply took the size of your pattern and pushed it to * 0.7 to reduce it for the littlier 2" throat the 10F needs. With those results I choosed the foam for cutting !

Today I just have been playing with the printing and the % function in Acrobat reader printer screen to reduce only the throat of the pdf file of page 1 (horisontal curved wall pattern) to 2" instead 2.78" (initialy made for a 5" PRV driver).

Like if the reduction was not "homothetic" (same reduction ratio in all the dimensions) : It should be an error of manipulation from me ! Tomorrow is an other day ! Will try tommorow afternoon again...

Btw the extension seemed odd to me as non really linear to be glued on a plan top & bottom surface ? the extension was more like a "nozel" at the end : so flater again like if it missed something... maybe because not curved yet ?

Have to switch into "concentration mode" to read it again ! I will try first to print the file at 100% and look at if checks to the measure you give (the 100% print 9x A4 paper)... have also a problem of margin which ask to measure the A4 which need to be crossed before tape scotching !

I can try in town with A3 size: big Canon photocopy shop ! But A4 at home stays easy enough !

Last edited: