Speaker guy vs Amplifier guy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

That's not to say that improvements in systems should not be sought after, but the important ones are cost, portability, size, capacity, convenience... not quality any more. To spend thousands of dollars on a system for personal or domestic use is crazy.

w

And this coming from a guy who designed an amp that was "stereophile class A" a couple of years ago! I hope your getting better.

I like this thread too...

I agree with you guys that the speakers and room acoustics are the major roles in the system. And I myself spend most of the time and effort in speakers, too. (also, stay in speaker forums here most of the time:D )

Unfortunately room acoustics is my sore spot:( My system is a living room setup. I can't afford a house with my own audio space. WAF aside, I myself also like a clean and simple looking style for living space, so room treatment is kept to a minimum, near inexistent.

The very live space is compensated by the narrow dispersions of my speakers. I'm not striving for the ultimate precise playback, so I'm OK with such situation. My biggest problem is ambient traffic noises. I live in a city. Crowded, noisy as you might imagine. :(

Recently I got a feeling that I can't do much on speakers and room. If I want to do something significant, I probably have to move the house first. That's far beyond what a 'hobby' should be, although this hobby is very important to me.

So, my last 2 projects are about amps. One of them is a 2A3 SE, to replace the previous 6S45 spud which had been serving my mid-high channels for years. 6S45 has a very clean and detail sound, and its 0.7W is already enough to drive my horns into deafeningly loud in my place. I liked it very much.

Now the 2A3 is almost 5x powerful!! And it really shows in the senses of solidity, weight, and inner tension of the sounds when they are called for (even though it's only working above 240Hz). Such character is subtle and I find it gradually as I listen to it more and more. And more I listen, it becomes more obvious and I love it more. I'm very happy to have this, even with my speakers untouched.

I used to be both "guys", building large class-A amps and large boxed speakers. After discovering OB's, active digital XO and decent class-D amps, I'm now simply a speaker guy.... I found out that speakers and how the integrate into the room is far far far far more important than amps, especially with active speakers.

StigErik

Can you point me towards a decent class D amp design. I am planning my next set of OB's which will now be active, got talked into active by you guys.
I have purchased all of the speaker & DSP bits and am impatiently waiting for them to arrive. Now I need some amps to run the six drivers. You seem like a guy who knows his stuff & I would much rather take a recommendation from somebody like you than take a stab in the dark.:)

David

Thank you
I just build a hypex amp 180W+180W with 500VA powersupply. Did a opamp upgrade and a little change to the input circuit to match my purposes.

194084d1288288001-hi-end-hi-efficency-loudspeakers-horn-onken-dsc00680.jpg

194085d1288288029-hi-end-hi-efficency-loudspeakers-horn-onken-dsc00678.jpg

A bout the amp. It is totally still with potentiometer open you have to put your ear at the cone to hear a light noise.

The sound is warm nice bass detailed a bit damped high tone. I say this comparing it to the sound of the Wega Vfet amplifier I have Same as the sony Ta 5650.

As for the Vfet I like the sound of it very warm low and fine dynamic high tones. Only the mid range isn't very clear of the vfet bud overall the best sounding amp i have.

But a nice sound to the ears doesn't mean it has the best amplification result.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/149260-v-fet-repair-wega-v4810-solid-state-heaven.html

Speaker vs. Amplifier

I work with designing speaker and I have done that for over 20 years.

I will say that amplifier is near to important as speaker, yes speaker is more easy to hear difference in short time, but in the long run. Amplifier is some time more important. Because the amplifier is what drive this tricky load that speaker are.

Digital Amplifier! I have not heard one that sounds good as analogue, yet. The day will come, but I have not seen it yet.
Best is amplifier from ABLETEC, hypex is ok, ICE Power you can use for Life style thing or other. The problem with these Digital designer guys is that they come from power supply. They count power and load, and than they design after this. Like the early days. 20W amplifier 8 Ohm load, than you need 1,6 A current capability. If you say so now in an analogue amplifier design, then they ask you what planet are you from or were have you been the last 40 years.

I did some simple measurement years ago, small speaker 6”, small amplifier <50W. One the scope I measured 8A peak current on music with a load of 4 Ohm =256W !!
We need more power= current than we think. And than look for the Power capacitors in some digital amplifier and compare with analogue design. This is not the hole true but part of it.

Digital Amplifier! I have not heard one that sounds good as analogue, yet. The day will come, but I have not seen it yet.
Best is amplifier from ABLETEC, hypex is ok,

I did some simple measurement years ago, small speaker 6”, small amplifier <50W. One the scope I measured 8A peak current on music with a load of 4 Ohm =256W !!
We need more power= current than we think. And than look for the Power capacitors in some digital amplifier and compare with analogue design. This is not the hole true but part of it.
from the measurements part and current you're mentioning.

The hypex module has thd figures loaded open load almost the same result. Load independent total different from analogue amps behaviour.

Your mentioning a fault of a analogue amp as a pre. Because analogue amps output behave to the load, and with tube amps it is a huge influence that the reason they sound different.

The 180W hypex doesn't complain with a impedance down to 1Ohm and a current of 10A load in depended output. That is also the reson I wanted one for tuning and measuring my speaker design.

Last edited:
I used to be both "guys", building large class-A amps and large boxed speakers. After discovering OB's, active digital XO and decent class-D amps, I'm now simply a speaker guy.... I found out that speakers and how the integrate into the room is far far far far more important than amps, especially with active speakers.
I agree. I did the same with amps for ages (EE so I like to play with the electronics) but now I hardly bother at all and spend the time building the electronics for the fun, and to get devices that I can't buy commercially because of my specific needs.

Been using digital xovers for a while now, and am looking forward to my DEQX soon.

This is not indicative of the " hi-end" industry on a whole ...
I think it is far more so than not, especially with digital.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
To "Speak" : it looks like you have an agenda against class-D techology....?

There are no digital amplifiers. They are class-D and analog.
The small caps you see around ICEpower amps are due to the fact that they have switched PSU's. No need for big bulky caps. And by the way, the smallest ICEpower amp (25W) can still deliver 20 amps without going into protection.....

ICEpower amps are on Stereophile's A-list of amps, worth mentioning..... :)

to show the difference between an analogue amp and a switching one.

A quality briston amp

thd -power
110Bryfig4.jpg

Bryston 7B SST2, THD+N (%) vs frequency at 14V into: 8 ohms (blue), 4 ohms (magenta), 2 ohms (red).

output -load. With our simulated loudspeaker, the variations in response remained within ±0.1dB limits
110Bryfig1.jpg

another solidstate amp.
Paravicini M100A, 4 ohm tap, THD+noise (%) vs frequency at (from top to bottom at 5kHz): 2.83V into simulated loudspeaker load, 4W into 2 ohms, 2W into 4 ohms, 1W into 8 ohms, 0.5W into 16 ohms.
99Earfig13.jpg

Paravicini M100A, 8 ohm tap, frequency response at (from top to bottom at 2kHz): 2.83V into dummy loudspeaker load, 1W into 8 ohms, 2W into 4 ohms, 4W into 2 ohms (0.5dB/vertical div.).

99Earfig01.jpg

compare with a kt66 tube amp.
196051d1289500544-speaker-guy-vs-amplifier-guy-thd-kt66-pp.jpg

and at last a switching amp. class d
196050d1289500514-speaker-guy-vs-amplifier-guy-class-d-thd.jpg

So what I want to make clear, difference we can hear sure. Caused by load depended behaivour of the amplifier.

So to be sure the amp doesn't mess with the recording I want a amp that delivers enough current without dropping in output voltage. So I need a powerfull power-supply and end-stage. Or a loudspeaker with flat impedance correct 8 ohm load.

Attachments

• class d thd.JPG
    class d thd.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 590
  • thd kt66 pp.JPG
    thd kt66 pp.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.