4" (3.5"-5") high efficiency wanted please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think we should stick to the subject at hand do a little less saber rattling here. Sumaudioguy, how about you do the research required to find the driver and come back and show us your final product. I am a little surprised you haven't designed your own driver considering your experience.
The problem with designing a driver is that you have to ask for a batch (manufacturer) of hundreds, if not thousands. Unless you go with AEspeakers or AudioTech or others IDK. sumaudioguy, I believe you can do that, if you know what YLF.
For me/others (I like to think out of the box, so kudos for that), I would go here, spend one day looking for specs, and maybe test/buy one or two (4"/5").
http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/hautparleur-enceinte-13cm-m-20.html
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=490
https://www.madisound.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_228_254

Last edited:
Sum, thanks for acknowledging your speakers will not handle the peaks properly in movies. Its okay for them not to be used in an HT application although someone should educate you a little on the dynamics that also exists in music. Do not use the excuse that you can always use limiters, that is like capping a car to only go 55MPH because that is the speed limit. Its simply a bad design if you are using limiters in a home!! Most of us realize that to have clean dynamics we need designs like Danley, JBL, Geddes, etc. We do not complain about the content being uncompressed we instead LOVE IT and ENJOY IT with serious REAL subwoofers and speakers. Your rant sounds like the fools who compress music :eek:

Its also okay to acknowledge that this design is for a specific type of application, I already posted that Im keen on you finding a 4", I already own 4 pairs of 6.5" drivers but I want a thinner baffle for one build with my extra Neopro5is I have sitting around. I doubt anything will happen, my money is on you never posting a build period.

Atleast you are finalizing that moving target from all the questions/opinions and with our help you will have a defined speaker design with specific intended applications. See you need us.

Im not concerned about your "dumb" comment either, I pay more in taxes then the average income period. I have a pretty damn good life for such a dumb guy. ;)

Last edited:
Of special interest, there are others. Do a search.;)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/24959-transducers-manufactured-me-india.html
Basic DIY facts (business perspective):
No manufacturer is going to keep his doors open producing reasonably-priced drivers for the DIY market. Loudspeaker driver manufacturers stay in business by supplying divers for commercial loudspeaker systems manufacturers. Many of them also supply the DIY market - some actively, some only as a sideline.

High-end drivers are a slightly different matter. In many cases, there's insufficient market to keep prices within reason, so supplying DIY'ers not only helps amortize engineering costs, but also serves as an outlet for units which don't quite meet their systems clients' specs. It also serves as an R&D showcase which helps bring in more commercial business.

Basic DIY facts (technical perspective):
Although there's still an aura of black art involved in the manufacture of speaker drivers, it's actually a reasonably mature technology. Almost anyone with the proper training can design and produce decent quality drivers in reasonable volume. As with any engineering discipline, some are better at it than others. Also, there are the usual tradeoffs between cost, performance, and tolerance. (...) http://ldsg.snippets.org/

Last edited:
Sum, thanks for acknowledging your speakers will not handle the peaks properly in movies. Its okay for them not to be used in an HT application although someone should educate you a little on the dynamics that also exists in music. Do not use the excuse that you can always use limiters, that is like capping a car to only go 55MPH because that is the speed limit. Its simply a bad design if you are using limiters in a home!! Most of us realize that to have clean dynamics we need designs like Danley, JBL, Geddes, etc. We do not complain about the content being uncompressed we instead LOVE IT and ENJOY IT with serious REAL subwoofers and speakers. Your rant sounds like the fools who compress music :eek:
I think that sometimes, you don't read what people say, or don't want to know. (From) What I understand is that pro-limiters are needed to protect the speakers from blowing-up like sumaudioguy was saying, that happen in a show. That's not very professional, from my point of view. Does not have to do with your taste of music (like it or not).

I read it fully, he posted acknowledging the dynamics exist. He ranted something about speakers blowing up or whatever acting like he knows someone famous (Like I care). He essentialy continues to prove our points. First he stopped thinking that a 4" high sensitivity driver can do 100Hz, now he acknowledged he will need other tools (limiters) to protect his drivers because he acknowledges they will not handle the dynamics if he choose to use them in an HT setup (which I doubt he will anyways).

What did I miss again?

btw, There isnt much to understand about pro limiters (My DCX has them, whoopie!!). They are used in a pro environment , there are zero reasons to use them in a home if the right speakers exist. This isnt a build for a 'SHOW', this is not a build for some live event so who cares what happens in a live event. Design and build the right speaker for the application!!

Im still going to make sure he posts the specific application for this design since his general opinion on it is not very well thoughtout. Who wants a kick drum being played through a 4" driver period? :eek: XO higher and let REAL woofers handle the right content!

Just helping the noob DIYer ;)

Last edited:
So...:shhh::up: I know there are more (people/threads), designing their own OEM/DIY loudspeaker drivers (in this forum), and I'm not talking about Morphing Shape Alloy or Liquid Glass...:scratch1:

Im not sure the point here...just saying the thread was very old. Congrats to those who enjoy building DIY drivers. I doubt SUM can do it myself but maybe he should try it.

Personally, I would just go to someone like John Janowitz would hand builds incredible drivers already. As your post says its a mature market and pretty well everything exists out there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.