Priming MDF boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has been 9 years. Wow. That makes me feel old :eek:

I do still have several of the blocks - though they've lived at the back of my damp garage, so they're not really a good measure of how they'd behave in a home environment. I could dig them out and have a look.

Whilst I've not really done any spraying work for years I have since started using Titebond, which does appear to dry much more hard/brittle than PVA, so I wonder if that might be better.

That said, if I recall correctly, even Cascamite sunk - it was mostly a case of 2k paint working well (which is obviously nasty stuff).

Even better, I'd be really interested in seeing how they are after being in a damp garage.

So is MDF :)

Haha true but it's cured already

Actually many of the major panel manufactures have been moving away from UF based adhesives in their products for quite a few years now - labeling them as NAUF - No Added Urea Formaldehyde

Be aware that the F in that acronym is a naturally occurring organic compound far more prolific than you might think.

Actually many of the major panel manufactures have been moving away from UF based adhesives in their products for quite a few years now - labeling them as NAUF - No Added Urea Formaldehyde

Be aware that the F in that acronym is a naturally occurring organic compound far more prolific than you might think.

I know a lot of products in Canada have stopped using it, I haven't seen any MDF that doesn't though

Where / what brands are you buying? I've worked for a commercial millwork (cabinet) mnufacturer on Vancouver Island for 23yrs, and all of our distributors now carry products by Westpine, Sierra ( now Roseburg), Panasphere, Murphy, States Industries to name the few that immediately come to mind, that offer most of their MDF and particle board core (raw or with factory " melamine" top coats) using resins not containing UF.

Granted, import plywoods and MDFs that might be found at big box retailers are another matter altogether - just try to find country of origin manufacturer name and spec sheets / MSDS info on some of those.

All academic to me, as I've use exclusively either shop grade Russian Baltic birch (5x5) or Europly / Murphy Multi-ply for all my speaker builds, and most others as well for at least 15yrs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.