Low cost, high performance headphone amp using OPA1656 and LMH6321

I'm not certain what you mean by truly stable. Yes, it is stable in the usual sense- even if the phase margin drops and there's significant peaking and overshoot in the >1MHz region.
I tested all of the loads 15, 30 and 200-300 ohms with zero and 1000pF, and sometimes in between values as those are the most likely to show the worst phase margin.
I was unable to make the design be unstable (i.e. break into oscillation) either in simulation, using TIs models, or on the bench, but there are combinations of load Rs and Cs that cause the margin to drop.
I have attached simulation results for the 15ohm/1nf and 300 ohm/1nf cases.
If the 10k bypass 1nF is removed then the composite amp IS unstable, both in simulation and on the bench- there is visible oscillation using a 70MHz scope.

Attachments

• step10k15 300 1000p.PNG
    step10k15 300 1000p.PNG
    68 KB · Views: 472
  • 15 300 1000p freq.PNG
    15 300 1000p freq.PNG
    96.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Just finished another headphone amp - this one will go into a line/MC preamp with warp filter, lower right portion of chassis, which will have relay input switching, and a separator panel for the power supply section.

Attachments

• DSCN6716a.jpg
    DSCN6716a.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCN6715a.jpg
    DSCN6715a.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 443
The last headphone board in the second run has been sold.
Presently six boards, that I know of, have been successfully built with no problems.
If anyone is interested in an amp, please post your interest in this thread then PM me.
The boards will continue to be sold at cost plus shipping.

I have not tried it with Jan's silent switcher. I do have one in my autoranger unit that I use for testing but have not felt the need for it elsewhere.
The PSR of the composite amp is extremely high, especially at 60Hz, and it is very quiet in use, even with a less than pristine +/-15v 0.7A /side SMPS or a pair of 15v 1A wall warts wired in series.

Hum is sorted out and I like what I hear through a 18R headphone. Reasons for using the silent switcher were good old "I had it in a drawer" and the idea to build a compact package that I can maybe velcro to my DAC and feed from one of the smps it uses. May instead of velcro I use a Powercon or XLR connector to power the headphone amp and hold it in place.