ESS 422H AMT Hybrid Headphones

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think one reason the AMT-1 can play so low is that they have a folded area equivalent to a 5in dynamic driver. The ability to go low is all about moving more air. The AMT moves a lot of air compared to a 1in dome. But because the aperture is smaller, they retain imaging due to being close to a point source. 800Hz is very low for a tweeter.

I have no idea what the crossover frequency of the AMT is internally to the 422’s. I suspect changing the SMT MLCC ceramic crossover cap to a good poly film cap would make a big improvement over what we already hear. Will need to carefully open these up at some point.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What is shipping for the 422H’s?

I am going to try the Melbourne headphone amp next. It’s a SE Class A design with a BJT output and a MOSFET CCS, DC coupled output.

The Melbourne Class A Headphone Amp and Pre-amp

720693d1544279377-melbourne-class-headphone-amp-pre-amp-melbourne-standalone-preamp-hpa-02-jpg

After that I will try a 8x parallel OPA1622 amplifier.

Cheap as Chips OPA1688 Low-THD Muscle Amp

781265d1568437776-cheap-chips-opa1688-low-thd-muscle-amp-muscle-amp-tps7a-ldo-24v-dc-dc-1-0vpp-51ohms-44k-test-setup-jpg

Then I will try out the Hakuin JFET/BJT two transistor CFP amp:

Hakuin SE Class A HP Amp

808216d1578737144-hakuin-se-class-hp-amp-prototype-hakuin-build-05-jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You US guys are very lucky; Amazon will not ship the ESS 422 to Oz, damn!

HD

Hi Hugh,
Let me know if you still can’t get them direct from ESS. I can ship them to you if needed.

Btw, my favorite amp to drive the 422’s is not surprisingly, the zero global feedback SE Class A, JFET/BJT CFP. The Hakuin sounds amazing with these cans. The extra resolution of both the amp amp and headphone combines to a new experience.

You US guys are very lucky; Amazon will not ship the ESS 422 to Oz, damn!

HD

ESS sent me a link to a US site doing a $125 promotion.

With sign up discount, I'm down for a pair for $200AUD, presumably with GST to pay on arrival. They don't ship until the end of the month, but I'm prepared to wait

Drop: Passions lead here (formerly Massdrop)

I paid by PayPal so at least if it is t legit, I get my money back.

Last edited: