Hakuin SE Class A HP Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Gain is ~11dB (~3.5x) and max output is no more than 10Vpp (3.5Vrms) to stay in reasonable distortion range. Being single ended Class A with a resistive load, it can’t swing much. It’s more of a headphone amp, a preamp input of 2.8Vrms will clip. The 150mV amplitude test case is 1/2 of the amplitude of the peak to peak input for about 1Vpp output, a typical listening level amplitude for average headphones.

Last edited:
I have a plan , i don't know if it looks good,

I will call it Hakuin Integrated Preamp.

OPA1642 Phono Pre-amp Passive RIAA --> Selector Switch (To Take other input like Aux, CD, Tape) --> Hakuin (to add beautiful sound signature) --> OPA1656 for Baxandall Volume Control.

OPA1642 is chosen for Phono Stage to add bit of bite and flare which OPA1656 lacks.

Is it look good to you , X?

For me , no hurry now , i will take it up in Autumn of next year as i have things like Entrance exams to handle until then.

I decided to build my first ever headphone amplifier and after a thorough search on diyaudio, this looked like the ideal candidate. I had an enclosure that I wanted to use for the amp, so I started from the wrong end of the build and tried to fit everything to that enclosure. It was a real 3d puzzle and it even shaped the layout of the boards. This is also the reason why I could not use the Hakuin DBs unfortunately...

I went with 5s lipo battery as the power source. While the initial idea was to use a LDO regulator, I could not wait for the delivery and used a switching regulator that I had. I placed the battery charger into the case as well, so I only connect a power cable when I want to charge it. There are 3 switches, first one connects the charger to the battery as I thought I can disconnect the charger while listening, but I cannot hear any difference when it is connected so it may always stay on. The second one turns on/off the amplifier and the last one connects/disconnects the headphone socket to address the power-on thump issue.

I am listening to this amplifier with Sennheiser HD6XX and a non oversampling dac (tda1387). I do not have anything to compare it against but it sounds amazing. Thank you xrk971 for the design!

Attachments

• HPA 3.jpg
    HPA 3.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 444
  • HPA 1.jpg
    HPA 1.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 447
  • HPA 2.jpg
    HPA 2.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 434
  • HPA 0.jpeg
    HPA 0.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 433
Thank you Andersonix! Yes it is the DAC. Sorry if it is a bit off-topic but here is how it looks inside. I had originally built it with a power supply that has the standard AC transformer, diode bridge, capacitor filtering followed by a linear regulator. I was happy with it until I built this headphone amplifier. Then I started hearing the hum from the transformer at maximum volume. So I tested powering the DAC with batteries as well. Now the background is totally silent even at maximum volume.

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 411
I decided to build my first ever headphone amplifier and after a thorough search on diyaudio, this looked like the ideal candidate. I had an enclosure that I wanted to use for the amp, so I started from the wrong end of the build and tried to fit everything to that enclosure. It was a real 3d puzzle and it even shaped the layout of the boards. This is also the reason why I could not use the Hakuin DBs unfortunately...

I went with 5s lipo battery as the power source. While the initial idea was to use a LDO regulator, I could not wait for the delivery and used a switching regulator that I had. I placed the battery charger into the case as well, so I only connect a power cable when I want to charge it. There are 3 switches, first one connects the charger to the battery as I thought I can disconnect the charger while listening, but I cannot hear any difference when it is connected so it may always stay on. The second one turns on/off the amplifier and the last one connects/disconnects the headphone socket to address the power-on thump issue.

I am listening to this amplifier with Sennheiser HD6XX and a non oversampling dac (tda1387). I do not have anything to compare it against but it sounds amazing. Thank you xrk971 for the design!

Style ++ :D

Just wish I had the old metal case my dad had years ago.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Super work, DP! Bravo.
Love the repurposed vintage boxes!
Glad the sound is to your liking. My personal opinion is that this circuit is one of the top 3 headphone amps that I have ever heard. So not surprising you like it.

It may not have the power of those big amps, but for a high impedance can like the HD6xx, not too many amps can touch it. Especially for quietness and resolution.

:cheers:

You have Aksa to thank for the circuit. Hugh is a genius with the CFP topology.

X,
You seem to have lost momentum on this amp? I had been using my ESS headphones on my bedroom amp and really enjoying them but upgraded to a pair of Hifiman Anadas for my portable and will need a new portable amp as well. Of course I have at least 3-4 projects ahead but just making sure the pump never looses prime. Just letting you know there is interest.

Bill

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the show of interest. Actually, I did lose momentum for the lack of interest by people. It’s a lot of work to do these projects and I move on if it doesn’t seem to gather the steam needed. The amp works fine - I ran into issues with the fuel gauge feature. It required reconfiguring all of the resistors to get it to work.