The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

@Turbon, see the USB Audio Widget projects elsewhere here on diyAudio for a UAC2 solution. The ODAC is all about minimalism, not expensive overkill. UAC2 offers no tangible benefits for this application so why go that route? And only a small fraction (around 10%) of the world's desktop/laptop PCs are non-windows.

UAC2 is free on other architectures - that is minimalism to me. Counting uac2 out because of MS unwillignes to provide a standard uac2 driver - well I have no words for it... For my part it will be another solution - sorry.

Brgds

UAC2 is coming in Windows 8 so it's not like MS is ignoring it. But, as I said, the bigger issue is it offers no benefit in this application. It requires a more expensive design and creates driver problems for 90% of PC owners.

Please link to any signs of that uac2 will be a part of Windows8.

BTW, if you are sure about this - why not implement uac2 now? If the standard will change it's going to be called something else - uac3 maybe or uac2i or whatever. UAC 2 is settled a long time back - there will be no changes so just put it in and you will be the hero of even more communities :)

Brgds

Last edited:
Turbon, the UAC2 spec is inclusive of UAC1 like how SATA-6G includes SATA-3G. If I remember correctly, Benchmark has a paper on why 192 is inferior to 96 in this application. There isn't a modern OS on the planet that won't be able to run the ODAC. Even the iPad with the camera connection kit will make use of the ODAC, but if you want UAC2, then you'll have to get Apple to pony up some licensing money out of their profits (which they do on OS X but not iOS). Same with MS for now.

In case you didn't know, a UAC2 device isn't UAC1 compatible, but the inverse is true. The ODAC is better as it is currently designed.

As good as the O2 is, I challenge you to hook up a UAC2 DAC and find any difference in the sound versus the ODAC when it's out. More money spent doesn't define sound quality. UAC2 costs more to design and build even if you skirt the licensing. The source files are not likely better. Movies and hi-res content will make use of the bandwidth but your headphones and ears probably won't.

The only thing I would like is a way to connect a S/PDIF port to the ODAC so I could have it fed by something other than the computer, though 90% of my listening will be from the computer, so it's not too big of a deal. Maybe I could rig up a miniDIGI to it.

Last edited:
Hmm, the wannabe champions suddenly rushed out from the woods...

Why is this such a burning issue? There is free code out there to switch if the code can't handle both uac1 and uac2 - which feels quite strange to me...

Oh yes, I'm not allowed by a higher authority to be a part of this community for the next 2 weeks... Have a good time all an make it right from the beginning!

I wish you all a very Happy New Year!

Brgds

Last edited:
It's been a long time since my last post, but this project has motivated me to share my experience. I built my first one on Friday night, and numbers two and three yesterday. They are all in the smaller, standard enclosures: one black, two silver. I plan on building a desktop version similar to skkhai's (post #1254, thanks for the inspiration) with my large silver enclosure and last bunch of components. I am listening to a 1g iPod Nano through Audio-Technica something-or-others (ATH-M40, maybe?). The O2 gives me the ability to crank up the volume to levels above those that the iPod could provide, while maintaining what I perceive to be distortion-free listening. So far, I'm loving it, and I can't wait to check out the official desktop version.

(Sorry no pictures. I'm at work.)

Thank you, RocketScientist, for your generosity.

PS I will be trying your recommended battery provider next time. I bought from an eBay seller in my state, hoping to get them before Christmas. A week later, I still don't have them. Figures. It's the one thing that I did that strayed from your recommendations.

Please link to any signs of that uac2 will be a part of Windows8.

BTW, if you are sure about this - why not implement uac2 now? If the standard will change it's going to be called something else - uac3 maybe or uac2i or whatever. UAC 2 is settled a long time back - there will be no changes so just put it in and you will be the hero of even more communities :)

Brgds

I expect that RS will be making the ODA/ODAC design available under Creative Commons licensing. There wouldn't be any reason why a UAC2 DAC couldn't be designed that would fit into the form factor of the ODAC, as an alternative(depending on board real estate of course(or creativity of the designer))...

I expect that RS will be making the ODA/ODAC design available under Creative Commons licensing. There wouldn't be any reason why a UAC2 DAC couldn't be designed that would fit into the form factor of the ODAC, as an alternative(depending on board real estate of course(or creativity of the designer))...

I don't see any GPL stuff so is the code to be free as well?

And it would be nice if RS himself gave a statement on this - arguing on believes often doesn't show to be the right path in the end. The pads are there - go with RS solution or not - easy as that. I just saw the grander future with people paying once...

Yes, RS - you are a good overall engineer - but still - listen to what folks want - not to what they need,

Brgds

Last edited:
There are other DIY options for UAC2 that can feed the ODA when it's done. DACs aren't large so some can surely be adapted to fit into the enclosure and wired up easily. If you want small and non-DIY, then just pick up the XMOS Reference Design and slap it in feeding whatever your favorite DAC board is. It's only $150 from Digi-Key and includes the programming interface. You're on your own with licensing it, though.

Correction to post# 1666: UAC2 doesn't always display a UAC1 option but some designs can. It's an added step and design consideration, adding some complexity.

Last edited:
Sorry Sofaman...

I readily admit that I'm only going by RS's claim that (once more) "it offers no benefit in this application" but it appears you have some insight into the design that I lack. Of course, you may have different performance goals than RS. That's fine. We'll await your resulting design.

I just want RS to consider that the path chosen isn't what people wants - it might be what people needs - but people allways wants more...

So, the code is available for uac2 - why not use it? "I can't hear a difference!" isn't a viable option IMO.

There are other DIY options for UAC2 that can feed the ODA when it's done. DACs aren't large so some can surely be adapted to fit into the enclosure and wired up easily. If you want small and non-DIY, then just pick up the XMOS Reference Design and slap it in feeding whatever your favorite DAC board is. It's only $150 from Digi-Key and includes the programming interface. You're on your own with licensing it, though.

Correction to post# 1666: UAC2 doesn't always display a UAC1 option but some designs can. It's an added step and design consideration, adding some complexity.

You are also on your own writing drivers for it.. The Audio-Widget group is farther ahead in that regard, since it uses the UAC2 standard that is already available in OSX and Linux. Windows drivers are still an issue, since all existing UAC2 solutions are proprietary. The idea of running a small dedicated music server running something besides Windows is a much less complicated idea than it has been in the recent past.

Now I have followed the public part of the decissions about the dac in different threads (surely not the only one). I will of course give my verdict on things when they have materialised. I will use what I can to convince that only use UAC1 was a very bad decission from the beginning since there was other ways... It doesn't help the O2 community a bit that You RS screwed it up with the AW community as these folks has the choise sought. Why the h*ll do you feel to have to have right all the time?

Reconsider and now is the time to do things right!

Brgds

Last edited: