"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

Hello,
What are you going to use to feed this “The Wire” headphone amplifier?

L-Train you said that you are using your E-MU 1616M, I will try my E-MU 1212.

QUSP I thank you to the reference to Owen’s D1 thread. I did a search and found it. As you say I missed the reference in post number one of this thread perhaps you can show it to me. Am I am slow on the uptake and blind?

DT
All just for fun!

Last edited:
haha sorry buddy, he only hinted at it here on the first page, but it wasnt explicit and as I already knew what he was talking about as I was involved in that GB the whole way through (the initial development thread was around for well over a year), I read more into it, so my apologies there. pretty sure he has been more explicit in the thread somewhere else, but who cares.

and BTW I HIGHLY recommend it, opc did papa proud!!

I must apologize for not including a link and for any frustration that came through in my post, it was not meant for you; I had just about finished making a little bit irritated post in reply to the post before you (OK it was a tirade); but decided to leave it and then replied to you.

rant/

yes i'm referring to all these posts filling up the thread FOR THIS AMP, asking for opc to make wholesale changes to this amp, based on nothing but an opinion and personal taste, by people who are either unable to, or unwilling to design one themselves. the first boards are only now making it into peoples hands and we have people who didnt buy that and arent involved, making suggestions to change everything including balanced output, different opamps, fully symmetrical and with super regulators... I mean seriously, not only is putting super regulators (which i'm pretty sure owen is aware of the existence of and dismissed) in front of this amp with such massive PSRR misguided, but this seems like a total and utter waste of time and money to me. The option is there for YOU to try whatever you like; owen is not your lackey and the power supply is not onboard. LME49710HA is inferior to LME49990 in every way, It also sounds boring as hell IMO, measures well, sounds like a creme brulee with artificial vanilla 'essence', artificial sweetener and low fat milk might taste

/rant

Last edited:
haha bad day and i'm in a shitty mood, but come on guys, back on topic. and that topic is this very amp that already exists.

any more pics yet? i'm interested to see some cool small chassis, anyone thought of battery power? seems like a better idea than a super regulator; A123 batteries. no design, no PCB. whats the power consumption of this amp Owen? about 1.2A?

Last edited:
haha sorry buddy, he only hinted at it here on the first page, but it wasnt explicit and as I already knew what he was talking about as I was involved in that GB the whole way through (the initial development thread was around for well over a year), I read more into it, so my apologies there. pretty sure he has been more explicit in the thread somewhere else, but who cares.

and BTW I HIGHLY recommend it, opc did papa proud!!

I must apologize for not including a link and for any frustration that came through in my post, it was not meant for you; I had just about finished making a little bit irritated post in reply to the post before you (OK it was a tirade); but decided to leave it and then replied to you.
<snip>

Hello,
No worries mate.
You sound like a high wattage kind of guy with little patience for what if kind of stuff. Owen’s D1 project looks interesting. I like the idea of the common rejection. I will take a look at the BOM to see how it can be adapted to PTP on a perf board. I did see prototypes on perf board in Owen’s D1 thread. I have seen adaptor boards for the surface DAC chips at places like sparkfun.com .
I was not too far off, just a year late!
DT
All just for fun!

as far as a p2p version, i'm assuming you mean for another dac not the sabre? I dont know that a mockup PCB or perf layout would work very well considering the 7 different regulated power supplies and rather specific grounding thats needed. for the IV board it would be fairly straight forward.

I dont mind what ifs, but there is a time and place for what ifs and a build thread, or GB for a design that is 100% done is not it IMO; especially right at the beginning when only 1 or 2 people actually have finished amps. even then if its just a couple questions, but lately there seems to have been more of that than anything else.

the patience I will admit to, I have ultimate patience for some things, but in general people are not one of them haha well thats a broad stroke, but yesterday I was in a really really bad mood and had zero patience left.

my apologies for seeming a bit harsh guys, but really lets save it for when there is actually a chance of a redesign and in another thread where suggestions will mean something, rather than just taking up space and wasting owens time to answer them. it will have to be covered again if and when there is another version anyway.

dont get me wrong, I would like a balanced version too, as every single one of my headphones are recabled balanced, even my custom IEMs, though I do have single ended cables for my HD600 and the JH13 as well, so i'm building 2 of them for psuedo balanced operation

Last edited:
yes, I know what you meant, but I do not see it as being a good idea with the sabre ES9012/18 due to the rather complex layout needed for good performance. the IV no worries, the dac itself along with the MCU that is needed for control and filter selection past defaults on perf of any kind?? not so easy

haha i guess you dont deal with aussies all that much, that is what is called facetiousness. in case you havent noticed i spent the last 2 pages basically saying what you said, then felt like i had to explain myself for saying it harshly, so please leave the attitude at the door mate. you yankies take yourself far too seriously sometimes, unless of courtse thats what i'm doing now and missing your sarcasm? interweb communication fail

Last edited:
hehe i thought so, dont worry, i've been known to react to something i perceive someone is saying without seeing too, humor and particularly dry humor is very difficult to pick sometimes if you arent expecting it, especially without catching the glint in my eye

but come on, do you really think the best i could do if i was really planning to insult you would be p1ss off?? :spin: pretty lame

build thread, build thread, build thread; keen for my pcbs to get here, i've just loaded my cart at mouser with what i can get, still need to grab the chips though as they dont stock the national parts strangely, is there a schematic around here somewhere? i'm not stuffing the psu, using my own and while ive built several of these type of supplies from owen from the D1 IV and have a good idea of which parts are from that and which would be from the amp, dont want to buy a heap of stuff i dont need. anyone done a bom that separates the 2? all i need is the schematic or the boards, but dont think the boards will get here tomorrow and need to hit send.

see you had one thing right, i do like the sound of my own voice sometimes.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Please don't make me ask for another cleanup on this thread. Keep it on topic, or use PM's if you want to chat privately with one another. Before posting anything, ask:

"Will this benefit ALL users of this thread?"

If the answer is NO, then send it via PM or email.

On a positive note, I'm glad so many kits have already arrived. Keep the comments coming, and let me know when your kits do arrive.

L-Train:

Your comments are very much appreciated! I'm really glad the feedback has been so positive from those who have built it. It's also nice to get some confirmation of what I myself heard. I have my second amp running off my M-audio USB soundcard's balanced outputs, and it works very well in that setup.

antronx:

Please be patient... I'm sure it will get there in the next few days. These things do take time.

DualTriode:

I guess you've already found the NTD1 thread, so that will answer your question as to what I'm using for a source. That, and the above mentioned M-audio sound card.

I would say any good balanced source should do the trick, but it's likely that the performance will be limited by the source, and not by the amp.

Let me know what you end up using.

Semola:

I appreciate the work you put into that design, but what you're proposing isn't even in the same ballpark as what we're looking at here. On that note, you should definitely build it and try it, but as I said, if I do this again, then I'll probably be going with a bridged output and either two discrete input op-amps, or possibly that BB part dggs mentioned.

You should build what you have there and give it a try.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Guys,

Please don't make me ask for another cleanup on this thread. Keep it on topic,
<snip>
I have my second amp running off my M-audio USB soundcard's balanced outputs, and it works very well in that setup.

<snip>
DualTriode:

I guess you've already found the NTD1 thread, so that will answer your question as to what I'm using for a source. That, and the above mentioned M-audio sound card.

I would say any good balanced source should do the trick, but it's likely that the performance will be limited by the source, and not by the amp.

Let me know what you end up using.

<snip>

Cheers,
Owen
Hello Owen,
On topic I hope!
Yes I did find your NTD1 thread, good stuff. Too bad that I missed the boat.Thank You.
The first effort will be a balanced output E-MU 1212. I play with this stuff for Fun. I may even use “The Wire” to drive a push-pull tube amplifier for a few hours on a breadboard. I build em, play awhile and take them apart. I will not be taking “the Wire” apart that is a plus or minus to surface mounted tiny parts.
If you use a volume control other than the M-Audio software what do you use, what impedance works to drive “The Wire”?
DT
All just for fun!

appologies, found the schematic on the first page, i had only thought it was the cad file for the pcb and didnt see you had attached the scheme in the same pdf.

happy to be back on topic; i realize although trying to help get back on topic i made a mess of my own in the process

DT given the nature of the amp i would think the inputz would be very high, so any sane outputz should work fine.

owen a quick question, i've noticed some rather new small 1206 size organic polymer caps, do you think these would work in place of the 4.7uf, or rather not instead of, i was thinking about soldering the ceramic 4.7 on the bottom and soldering a 47uf or 100uf stacked on top. they have impedance of 60mOhms for positions like c1, c4, c5, c6 etc

Last edited: