• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ideal Bridge second GB

If someone is interested, after an around 100 hours burning time of Saligny HVHFs as CT rectifiers for the SS current stage of my hybrid amplifier (N.B. they replaced Hexfred diodes, that are the best sounding diodes i had tested on it), these are my listenings impressions:
1. Sound is not warmer but slightly more neutral (that was to be expected as i'm not using Saligny for pre/voltage stage rectification, yet)
2. Amplifier dynamics increased by a significantly perceivable amount
3. Amplifier "speed" increased as well
4. Sound is more precise, maybe more resolving (still not sure about details, sorry)
5. Not sure what parameters are involved, but a better and more stable drive on loudspeakers is clearly noticeable, expecially on low frequencies
Of course, effects on other circuits and implementations may be different, but i only tested them in this amp at now. I have to say, anyway, that this amp already had very good dynamics, speed and drive, so it was not an easy task to get it better!

As i said before, transformers ringing decreased but didn't totally disappear, so maybe some quality problems in transformers themselves are to be taken into consideration.
Overall, HVHFs are here to stay and i'm quite satisfied by the SQ improvements. I surely would not come back...
Next step i'll test a properly optimized Saligny HVHF on tubes voltage stage's plates power supply, so to check effects on timbre and sound signature too.
Thanks Tibi!

Last edited: