• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

10F/RS225 FAST / WAW Speaker XO PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
X, some years ago I rebuilt my L-220 crossovers and used foil inductors. I noticed there is a difference in the resistance on the BOM list versus a similar 4mH foil inductor. Would this make any or no difference in the crossover performance?
Thanks
David

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just re-ran the Xsim calculation of the frequency response with a 14ga flat copper foil 4mH Jantzen inductor with 0.6ohm DCR vs the 1.26ohm DCR of the 18ga wire inductor and see a mild improvement in the bass response - maybe 0.5dB at 50hz. It doesn't hurt. Otherwise, the phase and frequency response elsewhere comes out the same. Subjectively, I would imagine a lower DCR will make the woofer sound more immediate and direct.

Jantzen Audio 4mH 14 AWG Copper Foil Inductor Crossover Coil

It is any intriguing idea. I spent as much on the updated/upgraded components as I spent on the JBL's when I bought them in the mid 70s.
Attached is a photo of the two crossover assemblies.

Attachments

• JBL.jpg
    JBL.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 181
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.