• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Simple Cap-Mx Regulated Low-Noise PSU

What regulator are you using because doesn’t an RPI take more than 1A at 5v?

For this one I used LM780CT. According to spec the Pi 3b draws 1 amp. The datasheet of the regulator says it can go up to 1.5. When I fed both the Pi and the Isolator hat (200 mA max) from the same PSU, I heard the odd stutter, indicating power shortage. But when feeding only the Pi, it works fine and sounds great. So with this reg, the little PSU seems just fit for a Pi. :)

I also mean to build one with LM340AT, which is a slightly narrower spec’d version of 780.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Finally. Built one up....well nearly. Waiting for some Ebay lt1963 3 pin regs.

I had to mount the film caps near the L under the board as the inductor is a bit big.

Attachments

• 20190720_165819.jpg
    20190720_165819.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 20190720_165825.jpg
    20190720_165825.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 476
  • 20190720_165834.jpg
    20190720_165834.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 451
Joined 2018
Paid Member
So both of then finished with the Ebay LT1963 set at 5v.
Both are 5.00v. Maybe I could have done with 5.2v for some headroom, I may look at altering the R values but they are tiny.

I made an error on the first build and had 1000uf instead of 2200, so that is remedied. Only had 1 220uf Pana FC for some reason so one has an Elna Silmic 2 in there.

Look forward to rigging them up to some gear!

Attachments

• 20190730_151850.jpg
    20190730_151850.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 433
  • 20190731_142450.jpg
    20190731_142450.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 424
Was wondering if I could wire up two boards for a bipolar supply by using a dual-secondary transformer plus two bridges to feed the two boards and finally joining the 0V output of one board with +ve output of the other,to get the common 0V.

This would be for a dual-supply preamp.

Will it work this way?

thanks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, as long as it is fed by floating dual secondaries and bridges. You can then think of it as a battery that is put in series.

Also, you cannot connect the chassis GND on the “negative” supply to GND as that would short.

But if you wanted to do this, it might be best to get hold of one of Prasi’s dual rail cap multiplier boards. Then add the voltage regs after it, if needed.

Last edited:
Just an update on my beta boards and regulators used. For my Raspberry Pi HAT DAC I am currently running two of these XLCLN Regulator boards. One with a TPS7A4701 (4uV output noise) regulator for powering the DAC, and the other with a linear LT1085CT-5 regulator for powering the Raspberry Pi. Still absolutely dead quiet and I am very very happy with the setup now. Just be aware that the LT1085CT-5 pinout is different to the board layout.

I was running a MC7805CTG 5V (10uV output noise) regulator previously for the Raspberry Pi, but started picking up problems with the Pi not booting or communicating (WiFi or UTP) properly – so this regulator does not seem to give enough current for running a Pi. The LT1085 3A now works very well. Probably not the quietest regulator out there, but I cannot hear a difference in my setup.

Do you have a link to the following..?

Thx.

Attachments

• Ultralow-Noise Pwr Module.jpg
    Ultralow-Noise Pwr Module.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 182
As a follow up.
I'd like to use this board to supply both the o/p mosfet in a MOFO at 2A and use a regulated output for the front end gain stage. So, could I use something like a IRF630 in place of the IRF610 and pull a 2A output from across C121 and then take ~200mA of regulated output from the board's DC output?
cheers
Beardy

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Beardywan,
Vunce is correct. This particular PSU is really meant for smaller devices under 1A like headphone amps and preamps. For the MOFO, you want the SLB single rail. It has superb low ripple and will give you some nice silent black background.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

attachment.php

Here is a scope shot showing upstream ripple vs downstream after the cap Mx for 3.75A (30v into 8ohm dummy load) showing 0.71mV rms ripple:
attachment.php

On the drop down choose “Single Rail”

Smooth Like Buttah SLB Class A PSU | Etsy

Last edited:
Hi Both,

Many thanks for your speedy responses. Yes, I looked at both but I am using a SMPS, so the low pass filter and capX is ideal for my needs. The regulated output is perfect for the gain stage. So switch out the inductor and resistor resistor for something more appropriate, put a bigger mosfet in as the CapX and pull a couple of amps out prior to a second output from the regulated output...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No, sorry I never bother to sim a regulator. There are many newer ultra low noise regulator choices that are higher performing than 78xx. Many from LT so they would have models for it.

We did simulate the SLB though. That was crucial for setting the size (and ripple current rating) of the big bulk caps, the big R, and the network for the CFP cap multiplier.

Last edited: