• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee V4H GB

Hi Magnus.

I'm glad you asked. Q3/4 are simply the most important components in the whole amp. They act as buffers between input and VAS stage, solving a lot of problems regarding overall amplifier linearity. In simple terms they give the amp a potent weapon to deal with distortion, Gain. The THD level being so low in V4/V4H is a big thanks to them.

A mismatch of hFE in these two transistors have much less effect on the linearity than say Q1/2 pair or Q9/10 pair. Specs other than hFE, like voltage rating etc. have to be matched obviously.

Thanks again.
One last question before drilling holes in heatsinks etc.

I thought what I had in VAS transistors were already good match.
That is not quite the case:
Measured hFE (next best match of each)
ksa1220/ksc2660 ---~200/240 (powerful)
2sa1541/2sc3956 ---~140/150 (A bit rare, excellent data)
2sa1381-E/2sc3501-D ---~140/85 (Different gain grade. )

Also have some 2sa1360/2sc3423 left after an earlier project but havent measured those yet. Those who were best matched are used in another amp.

What do you recommend? The ksa1220/ksc2690 have quite much higher Ic than the others but somewhat higher Cob...
Thought I had some kse340/350 at hand but unfortunately no...

Last edited:
Thanks again.
One last question before drilling holes in heatsinks etc.

I thought what I had in VAS transistors were already good match.
That is not quite the case:
Measured hFE (next best match of each)
ksa1220/ksc2660 ---~200/240 (powerful)
2sa1541/2sc3956 ---~140/150 (A bit rare, excellent data)
2sa1381-E/2sc3501-D ---~140/85 (Different gain grade. )

Also have some 2sa1360/2sc3423 left after an earlier project but havent measured those yet. Those who were best matched are used in another amp.

What do you recommend? The ksa1220/ksc2690 have quite much higher Ic than the others but somewhat higher Cob...
Thought I had some kse340/350 at hand but unfortunately no...

You can use the 1220/2690 pair with no negative impact due to their high Cob. Q3/Q4 (again) takes care of the high Cob and makes sure it doesn't affect linear operation.

Edit: For the curious, 1220/2690 pair seems to have a maximum rating of 120V. So not recommended for 56V operation of the amp. 45V is fine.

Last edited:
Hi Shaan,
I would like to use the ksa1381 & ksc3503 but have concerns because Thimios had issues with these transistors in the V4 thread (post 942).

What are your thoughts in using them in the V4H amp?

Regards
Harry

Increase C5/C6 to 68pF.

I'm not sure whether the oscillation problem that happened in thimios's experiments is due to the vas transistors or vas-mosfet interaction (for which rev1 was developed). Anyway, slowing down ultrafast components a little should stabilize it if the speed caused problem. These transistors aren't available where I live and I haven't tested them myself, so can't give you a concrete idea about their behaviour in this amp.

Genuine or fakes?

Hello friends
I apologize for my bad English, since it is not my native language.
I need your valuable help to know if the transistors of the attached photo are genuine Hitachi? or are they fakes? or is it better to buy the Renesas?
Thank you very much for your answers

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 304
Hello friends
I apologize for my bad English, since it is not my native language.
I need your valuable help to know if the transistors of the attached photo are genuine Hitachi? or are they fakes? or is it better to buy the Renesas?
Thank you very much for your answers

Probably fake.

Yes, I bought them recently

Definitely fake.

Original: Check attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20190528_192523~2.jpg
    IMG_20190528_192523~2.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 337
Hello Shaan,

Short question: I managed to solder the LED's the wrong way (both of them); silly me :)
In the mean time I have corrected that mistake and the LED's light up when I start the setup procedure. However, the amp seems non responsive. It is not drawing any current at all. I'm using a dual 55 volts supply (currently with two 1 ohm resistors in the power rails).

Do you think that I might have blown any transistors by reversing the LED's?

Hello Shaan,

Short question: I managed to solder the LED's the wrong way (both of them); silly me :)
In the mean time I have corrected that mistake and the LED's light up when I start the setup procedure. However, the amp seems non responsive. It is not drawing any current at all. I'm using a dual 55 volts supply (currently with two 1 ohm resistors in the power rails).

Do you think that I might have blown any transistors by reversing the LED's?

Are both PGND and SGND properly connected to ground?