• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Debugging

I am running botic distro for first time.
BBB ->acko cape -> acko S03 -> Ian I2S/PCM to TDA1541a
all appears to be working up to output of S03. I2S to PCM shows mclk and pwr led. middle led is out.
No sound but player is playing.
does anyone know if this output stream is compatible with I2S to PCM brd?

Boticized BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-02-15

default username:password is [root:botic] and [debian:botic]

root@192.168.1.6's password:
Last login: Mon Feb 16 00:16:16 2015 from 192.168.1.4

root@botic:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 1024
buffer_size: 16384
root@botic:~#

I am running botic distro for first time.
BBB ->acko cape -> acko S03 -> Ian I2S/PCM to TDA1541a
all appears to be working up to output of S03. I2S to PCM shows mclk and pwr led. middle led is out.
No sound but player is playing.
does anyone know if this output stream is compatible with I2S to PCM brd?

Boticized BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-02-15

default username:password is [root:botic] and [debian:botic]

root@192.168.1.6's password:
Last login: Mon Feb 16 00:16:16 2015 from 192.168.1.4

root@botic:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 1024
buffer_size: 16384
root@botic:~#

What is MCLK frequency feed to PCM board? Did you jump your 1541A DAC to PCM mode(not I2S mode)? If so, please read PCM board user's manual for 1541 jumper settings.

Ian

Can anyone clarify SPDIF board usage with FIFO, please? In my setup SPDIF signal way is the following:my streamer>SPDIF board>FIFO>Isolator>XO board>I2S output to DAC.
In the SPDIF manual it says :
"we can create an S/PDIF FIFO, an I2S FIFO with S/PDIF receiver, or an S/PDIF FIFO with I2S output"
Now I use the second option connection scheme (I2S FIFO with S/PDIF receiver), no connecrion of MCK from XO board to SPDIF.
Is that correct? Is that the best option? I wonder who could need the 1st and the 3d options. In what situ they should be used.

What is MCLK frequency feed to PCM board? Did you jump your 1541A DAC to PCM mode(not I2S mode)? If so, please read PCM board user's manual for 1541 jumper settings.

Ian

1541a is set to PCM. It was working fed from WaveIO. Sounded very good but I had strange problem. It would not play at sample rate over 44.1. At 96 the music was there but obscured with static. I figured I might have problem with USB cable that would go away with direct i2s from bbb. Could also be I have too fast DEM on 1541a. using 100pf cap.
The jumpers on the i2s/pcm board are set per manual for full speed. Per the manual it is marked JOB. I tried half speed. It also worked but to my ear full speed was slightly better SQ.
again, the 3 leds were lit with Waveio but now i2s led not lit.
Thanks Ian

Last edited:
Can anyone clarify SPDIF board usage with FIFO, please? In my setup SPDIF signal way is the following:my streamer>SPDIF board>FIFO>Isolator>XO board>I2S output to DAC.
In the SPDIF manual it says :
"we can create an S/PDIF FIFO, an I2S FIFO with S/PDIF receiver, or an S/PDIF FIFO with I2S output"
Now I use the second option connection scheme (I2S FIFO with S/PDIF receiver), no connecrion of MCK from XO board to SPDIF.
Is that correct? Is that the best option? I wonder who could need the 1st and the 3d options. In what situ they should be used.

Hi zz1969,

If your are using the second option, which is the S/PDIF receiver, you will not need feeding any MCK to S/PDIF board.

The first and third option are almost same, the all output FIFOed S/PDIF signal, the only difference is that the third option also outputs I2S signals from clock board at same time. In either case, your will need to feed MCK to S/PDIF board from clock board. For Dual XO II, MCK signal is located at centre of the board in u.fl socket.

Regards,
Ian

1541a is set to PCM. It was working fed from WaveIO. Sounded very good but I had strange problem. It would not play at sample rate over 44.1. At 96 the music was there but obscured with static. I figured I might have problem with USB cable that would go away with direct i2s from bbb. Could also be I have too fast DEM on 1541a. using 100pf cap.
The jumpers on the i2s/pcm board are set per manual for full speed. Per the manual it is marked JOB. I tried half speed. It also worked but to my ear full speed was slightly better SQ.
Thanks Ian

Hi wlowes,

If your are using Dual XO II, LEDs on Dual XO II will tell you everything about the input I2S signals of FIFO. You will know:

1. I2S signal is good
2. I2S signal's Fs (Fs=XO frequency / xFs )
3. I2S no signal
4. I2S signal is in wrong Fs
5. Fs of I2S signal can not be supported by current XO frequencies

Just hope it helps

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

My I2S source is from a Pink Faun I2S bridge.

I got a question though. Is it better to isolate the I2S signal before FIFO, rather than isolate it after FIFO?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken,

The most important isolater is the one after FIFO.

It's nice to have, but any isolater before FIFO will not affect the sound quality.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks Ian

Had this once: after I changed the power supply from lineair 3 A to shunt 500 mA. Could not go up from 88.2 any more.
Could that (PS) be the cause??