Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 08:32 PM   #3681
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Haarlem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Nice build!
Thanks! Tonight I'm gluing shut the first speaker of my Needle Deluxe's with leather baffle and slate sides: http://i.imgur.com/Di5GyT2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll find out if the glue came out on the wrong sides, ruining the speaker, or if it (hopefully) looks like the most Deluxe Needle ever built :P
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 11:30 PM   #3682
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A New England
Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
Thanks! Tonight I'm gluing shut the first speaker of my Needle Deluxe's with leather baffle and slate sides: http://i.imgur.com/Di5GyT2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll find out if the glue came out on the wrong sides, ruining the speaker, or if it (hopefully) looks like the most Deluxe Needle ever built :P
Whoa! Slate speakers. I've been thinking about how/if I could incorporate granite baffles. But slate is SO much more elegant. Good luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 07:27 PM   #3683
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Haarlem
I am victorious! \o/

Here's my new Needle SuperDeluxe build.
It has upgraded RLC components (not because you'll actually hear the difference, just because it makes me *feel* better ), a leather baffle and slate sides.

Yes, it weighs a ton. I have to make sure this thing doesn't fall on one of my kids or I'll have to make a new one. A new kid, that is.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 07:50 PM   #3684
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Haarlem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp View Post
Whoa! Slate speakers. I've been thinking about how/if I could incorporate granite baffles. But slate is SO much more elegant. Good luck!
And it was actually not all that expensive.
I bought 2 slate floortiles of 100x50cm - each tile is just big enough to cut out 2 sides - for 45 euros total, spent 15 euro on a diamond blade for my anglegrinder (which I already had but is the cheapest grinder I could find), and 13 euros on some special color-deepening oil to treat the slate with.

so all in all 73 euros to get slate sides.

(At least, if I hadn't made a measurement mistake cutting the first panels... so to build my 2nd speaker I have to order more slate... but that's just stupidity tax I reckon )
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 10:26 PM   #3685
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: A New England
Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
And it was actually not all that expensive.
I bought 2 slate floortiles of 100x50cm - each tile is just big enough to cut out 2 sides - for 45 euros total, spent 15 euro on a diamond blade for my anglegrinder (which I already had but is the cheapest grinder I could find), and 13 euros on some special color-deepening oil to treat the slate with.

so all in all 73 euros to get slate sides.

(At least, if I hadn't made a measurement mistake cutting the first panels... so to build my 2nd speaker I have to order more slate... but that's just stupidity tax I reckon )
Ah, the stupidity tax. There's a lot of that around these days. Beautiful work, and well worth the cost in my mind. Maybe one day I'll start to experiment with stone and/or concrete. Thanks for posting this.
Carl
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 10:32 PM   #3686
HumbleDeer is offline HumbleDeer  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
HumbleDeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: In Flanders Fields Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggle8 View Post
That's looks awesome, the white is great.
My newest, FAST with Alpair 7 in sealed 5 liter and SDX10 in 48 liter ported at 22Hz. Crossed over via PC with FIR crossover at 2nd order LP and 1st order HP at 225hz.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Damn pff. Those are some sexy *eh* speakers
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 12:32 AM   #3687
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
perceval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
I am victorious! \o/

Here's my new Needle SuperDeluxe build.
It has upgraded RLC components (not because you'll actually hear the difference, just because it makes me *feel* better ), a leather baffle and slate sides.

Yes, it weighs a ton. I have to make sure this thing doesn't fall on one of my kids or I'll have to make a new one. A new kid, that is.

Click the image to open in full size.
Very nice!

I like speakers made from different materials.

Enjoy the music!
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 12:45 AM   #3688
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dhaka
Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Congrats Pygmy, beautiful pair of speakers you've built.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 02:05 AM   #3689
Wiggle8 is offline Wiggle8  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Halifax, NS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleDeer View Post
Damn pff. Those are some sexy *eh* speakers
Thanks buddy, appreciate the feedback☺️
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:13 AM   #3690
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Pygmy; while as a couple you may still retain the technical acumen to do so - it's rather like riding a bike, no? - and as much fun as I can remember can be had in the process, I think making a new kid should be done for other reasons, and would certainly require pre-approved WAF.

I'd definitely provide lateral stability for such a design - outriggers, wide plinth base plate of slate or quartz countertop offcuts, etc.
__________________
a guy could get used to this being retired thing
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Full Range Speaker Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki