Fullrange Bipole MLTL speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, Acoustastuff is somewhat more effective for a given volume density, so you need more polyester fill. I'd keep the quantity added modest to begin with though, since it's easier to add more damping in such cases than it is to reduce excess. You'll make the most dramatic differences in terms of unwanted output with additions at the bottom of the enclosure.

Speaking generally now -there's a reason I write 'avoid acoustic foam' in the text of almost every design I do. It has its place in certain situations, and I don't dispute that, but in the vast majority of my own designs, it is not as effective as the alternatives listed.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It has its place in certain situations, and I don't dispute that

Acoustic foam is very consistent and very easy to install so often used in commercial speakers because it significanty reduces the labour portion of speaker assembly.

So like MDF used because it is cheap, not because it is good.

The consistency thing, and the fixed shape does make it useful for aperiodic vents, the only time i use it.

dave

Thank you Scott and Dave,

Frankly, the reason I went with Acoustic foam was because, that was something I had laying around and wanted to get rid off, and second reason, was that I truly did not expect the amount of bass from these tiny 4inch speakers. But I am presently surprised by their performance.

Acoustastuf is widely available in US, but in AU it is hard to come by and mostly need to import it from US. There are other variations available here in Australia which is mostly polyester. So to avoid going out and save money and time, I went with an old pillow for now.

I butchered the pillow and installed its fill half and half in both speakers and that has drastically improved the speakers. I still need to tweak them a bit but so far so the booming isn't as prominent as it was before. I could leave it as is and it sounds fantastic.

I have added little more damping in both cabinet and I can now say, I am at happy place with these speakers.

Dave, Scott, Chris, XRK and others, really appreciate your help and guidance for these design and on the speaker drivers.

Given that this was my first proper build, I am very well pleased with the end result. This however does lead me to question my curiosity, what has been the most successful cabinet plan for Pluvia 7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.