Fullrange Bipole MLTL speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pluvia 7 Gold

and a step up: Mark Audio 7M Gold

Althou the 1st one is a bass monster (relatively), and is voiced similarly, the Alpair is capable of better low level resolution/DDR.

dave

Note that despite being called gold these drivers are copper in colour, and can also be had in silver (called grey i think).

Thank you Dave,

That certainly is an impressive driver than what I had been looking at previously. Thank you for an eye opener. All though bit more expensive, I think it will pay off in sound quality and in frequency extension.

Unfortunately, that Darcher shop is located in Tasmania and government today announced complete lockdown of the state, and given that it is a separate island. I doubt my chances of getting the shipment.

I think it would be best for me to ride out this COVID19 lockdowns and then source the driver and start the build.

By the way, do you have any designs you can suggest for Markaudio Pluvia 7?

I like the design what xrk971 had designed in this post Tangband W3-881 MLTL build

This is the Pensil for it, which gives the most options for arranging 4 drivers. 4 drivers are gonna move some air. And it will be big. Either fat or tall.

https://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/PensilsS70.pdf

But they might fit into something smaller/

dave

Thank you Dave,
Appreciate your help and links for both plans.

Is there an easy way to calculate the required cabinet volume for 4 speakers?

I like the PensilsS70 design and can fit 2 in the back and 2 in fronts. I might try this design with the Dayton drivers that I already have, as it seems highly likely I would have to wait a month(s) or so for the MarkAudio Pluvia7 to arrive.

Thank you Dave,
Appreciate your help and links for both plans.

Is there an easy way to calculate the required cabinet volume for 4 speakers?

I like the PensilsS70 design and can fit 2 in the back and 2 in fronts. I might try this design with the Dayton drivers that I already have, as it seems highly likely I would have to wait a month(s) or so for the MarkAudio Pluvia7 to arrive.

Nominally quadruple the CSA and vent. Given the proportions, the pensils are not an ideal basis for multiples as they're designed from the outset as acoustically large alignments and as the CSA grows, due to the necessary proportions things start to become a bit more problematic than with more highly forced alignments with a smaller starting Vb. Not trying to discourage the principle or adapting, just noting that the pensils are awkward for this particular use & others may be a better starting point (or dedicated as I'm working on -will let you know).

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nominally quadruple the CSA and vent. Given the proportions, the pensils are not an ideal basis for multiples

4 in a single enclosure would be small freezer size, or a near 1/2 m square prism 6+ ft tall. Why i brought Scott to the thread to see if a slimmed down variation could be developed.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• QuadPensilP7.png
    QuadPensilP7.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 722
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Drawn in metric (yes mm) with the software adding imerial units.

If you want 4 drivers and a smaller box both a driver that gets away with a smaller box and an alignment that allows for a smaller box. For instance the P11 can get away with a smaller box than teh (smaller) P7. And the Pensil alignment needs a big box.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Drivers with powerful motors and low Vas can make smaller enclosures. Something like a 3FE22 has a 2.25L Vas. You could make a quad driver speaker and box is only 9L. Not very big if made a tall MLTL.

You could unwrap this into a straight tall box. Increase cross sectional area by 4. Increase the vent area by 4. Mount 2 drivers front and 2 drivers on the back. One above 1/3rd from top line and the other just below it.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...2-tabaq-faitalpro-3fe22-front-port-folded-pdf

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Drivers with powerful motors and low Vas can make smaller enclosures. Something like a 3FE22 has a 2.25L Vas. You could make a quad driver speaker and box is only 9L. Not very big if made a tall MLTL.

Bass costs space. P11 or even more so P7 in an MLTL will go at least an octave lower. Not to mention the air they move.

FF85wk and A5.2/3 fit the same size box (my FE22 (5) are in a tweaked µMar-Ken.

But it would be a neat project.

The Pensils for the P7 illustrate a big ML-TL to go low and have a solid midbass punch. At the other end the microTower (same tuning as the EL70) gives a very compact ML-TL.

uTower-family.png

(from before 2012). You will note the tall ones (1 set on top of the other) for 4 or 8 drivers, and the fat quad which could have one of the drivers on the top.

dave

I found 2 drivers per side worked quite well enough that I ended up building at least 4 different configurations - my favourite being the Castles with slanted tops - max at 15dg, IIRC. Now that I think about it, never did try a Fostex driver version - the closest to that would have been the B D pipes with Foster 103Fs & Radio Shack RS40-1197 - geeze, was that only 20yrs ago? Of course, those were an ML TQWT, not a straight MLTL, but I digress.

I really appreciate your help guys.

Most of the stuff you guys are saying is going over my head and I am scratching my head. I have a long way to go (Thought I know enough, haha...).

Well for now, I am unable to get the drivers to start the build. I can get the panels from the local hardware shop but no drivers.

From what I have read from your advise is, I should perhaps stick with 1 Pluvia in Pensil cabinet or 2 drivers in modified case, and 4 would require a rather large cabinet.

Well, I can stick with two drivers per cabinet and make them bipole to start with and stack them up on top as Dave has suggested to stack them on top of each other to try out 4 drivers and see how it works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.