A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Jim G.
From the plots of The more powerful exciters I have seen , so far,I must agree that the 10 to 24watt 25mm exciter seem to have the better all round performance.
As long as you are not putting them on inch thick ply and expecting loud full range output , they work perfectly.
Steve.

Please remember the message number?
give me an opinion on the result you got

I make the recordings so that everyone can make up their own minds about the sound of the panels.
But what I can say is that I think that the 5mm xps and epoxy can join my list of good materials to use for dml.
I think my panel is probably unnecessarily large for what is needed ,so i will be cutting it in half at some point to see what happens?
Steve.

Spedge I believe I had about 50 of the exciters you have bought from parts express on a buyout 2009? about 2 for $5.00 back when we were all playing with 8 or more on a panel. The new ones don't have a plastic ring as pictured. They come with a thin aluminum disc instead covering voice coil area making for a good bond to the panel. Only negative is the terminals are flimsy and weak. I have 10 watt 8ohm. Not sure if 4 ohm is the same re no plastic ring. 1 drives a ply panel just fine.

Carlmart.
I see that there are quite a few variants on this exciter range.

AIYIMA 2pcs Audio Speakers 35/44mm Plane Vibration Speaker Resonance Speaker 15W 4 ohms DIY For Home Theater|4 ohm|speaker resonancevibration speaker - AliExpress

20mm coil 4ohm 15watt free shipping.
Looks like a smaller thinner magnet than my exciter ? 15mm deep and only weighs 60g.
Steve.

I'm currently trying out these: 2pcs 1.7" 44MM 4Ω/8Ω 15W~20W Vibration Speaker Resonance Loudspeaker Audio Parts | eBay

15w 4ohm jobs.

So far, these are giving me the best performance of the exciters I've tried. At around £12 a pair, I can afford to experiment.

And hereby hangs a question. When mounted on my 600mm high OB bass L frames, the overall height is a bit on the low side. So this got me thinking. 2 x 300x400 panels in landscape orientation, one above the other with the 4 ohm exciters wired in series may result in some mutual coupling benefits in the midrange. My understanding is that mutual coupling tends to benefit the bass more than the treble, but there could still be some benefits from having double the power handling per side. Obviously 8 ohm exciters wired in parallel would give more welly potential.

Anyway, back to my canvas panels with ply insert. Here is a plot showing the bass unit with 24db LR low pass filter, 300x400mm canvas panel (£6 exciter) in landscape orientation with 24db LR high pass filter plus the combined response. Not too shabby at all.

Attachments

• L canvas panel and bass driver and combined plots.jpg
    L canvas panel and bass driver and combined plots.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 231
I'm currently trying out these: 2pcs 1.7" 44MM 4Ω/8Ω 15W~20W Vibration Speaker Resonance Loudspeaker Audio Parts | eBay

15w 4ohm jobs.

So far, these are giving me the best performance of the exciters I've tried. At around £12 a pair, I can afford to experiment.

And hereby hangs a question. When mounted on my 600mm high OB bass L frames, the overall height is a bit on the low side. So this got me thinking. 2 x 300x400 panels in landscape orientation, one above the other with the 4 ohm exciters wired in series may result in some mutual coupling benefits in the midrange. My understanding is that mutual coupling tends to benefit the bass more than the treble, but there could still be some benefits from having double the power handling per side. Obviously 8 ohm exciters wired in parallel would give more welly potential.

Anyway, back to my canvas panels with ply insert. Here is a plot showing the bass unit with 24db LR low pass filter, 300x400mm canvas panel (£6 exciter) in landscape orientation with 24db LR high pass filter plus the combined response. Not too shabby at all.

Are we talking passive or active crossovers? At that 24dB rate there should be phase issues.

Spedge I believe I had about 50 of the exciters you have bought from parts express on a buyout 2009? about 2 for $5.00 back when we were all playing with 8 or more on a panel. The new ones don't have a plastic ring as pictured. They come with a thin aluminum disc instead covering voice coil area making for a good bond to the panel. Only negative is the terminals are flimsy and weak. I have 10 watt 8ohm. Not sure if 4 ohm is the same re no plastic ring. 1 drives a ply panel just fine.

It's hard to believe that I joined the nxt rubbish forum in 2009 with my 10watt buyout exiters.
Time just goes flying by.
Although I only bought 40 of the exciters :eek: I'm glad I did as it has helped me compare different panel types, which is very handy.
I'm still amazed at the amount of detail that these little exciters can get out of a panel.

Steve.

Well, I was a bit disappointed realizing that it seems all the measurements I have seen on this topic were corrected with active equalizing.

I did say that I was looking for non-equalized board/resonator combo, first because I do not believe in correcting equalizing, and second because of where those systems would be used. Apparently that demand of mine was not noticed.

3rd or 4th order eq is the most I accept, and never to correct response, particularly on a speaker.

Carlmart.
I never use eq ?
3rd or 4th order eq ? Do you mean crossover.
I usually allow the panels to go as low as possible depending on the panel but no lower than about 80hz.
But practically always I roll off the bass unit above 300hz to help sort out room problems (suckouts )
With The art ply panel,I would treat it as a fullrange speaker and put a sharp roll off below 40hz to prevent any large unecessary movement as the response of the panel drops like a stone below this.
Rolling off the art ply panel higher up would increase the power handling and benefit from a dedicated sub.
Steve.

Lordtarquins post 3836 shows 2 plots the one on the left is without eq ,which is a pretty decent response.
I probably wouldn't bother to eq this.
But if I did I would probably just put in a little slope from abut 500hz to about 3.5k , this would keep the response almost within a 5db band up to about 18k .
A room response curve (or is it called a house curve?)would be more than this.
But it would be nice to see the full range response of the panel to its lowest frequency :D if possible.
Without eq that is.
Steve.

Carlmart.
I never use eq ?

To flatten a curve, or increase/decrease treble or bass.

3rd or 4th order eq ? Do you mean crossover.

Yes, that means crossover.

I usually allow the panels to go as low as possible depending on the panel but no lower than about 80hz
But practically always I roll off the bass unit above 300hz to help sort out room problems (suckouts )

That is fine, and it was what I was prepared to live with, adding a sub below 300Hz.

But I do not intend to increase response above 9/10KHz with active eq.

The curves I had seen, your and others, reached 20KHz +/-3dB and reasonably flat. So I started wondering if that got help from active eq.

With The art ply panel,I would treat it as a fullrange speaker and put a sharp roll off below 40hz to prevent any large unecessary movement as the response of the panel drops like a stone below this.
Rolling off the art ply panel higher up would increase the power handling and benefit from a dedicated sub.
Steve.

Yes, the idea was to have a full range speaker from 300-20KHz with no external help. The dedicated sub would take care of the low problematic areas.

Last edited: