The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Good one!

Still browsing, collecting ideas like this one:
View attachment 871778

It might have less copyright issues to get it printed without celebrities in the picture.

Attachments

• 20200829_211107.jpg
    20200829_211107.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
It has been a while since my last post. We're still not quite "done" yet, but I am typing this on my PC again, that's a start :D.
Still a lot of loose ends to solve before I can go into the garage and focus on the arrays. Some of the stuff we need, like new blinds etc. are still on order.
We did manage to finish all walls and ceiling, re-oiled our hardwood floor and have some of the comforts of furniture back in the house.
I'm glad to be back on my PC again after more than a month and a half. But I do miss my tunes! The finish line is in sight though, I hope to finally be able to start working on the arrays. I'll probably give them a fresh coat of paint too, to look 'in place' with our renewed living room :).

It was worth it to us to go from this:
attachment.php

Through these steps...
attachment.php

To this:
attachment.php

As can be seen, it still needs paint etc. but it is a worthwhile upgrade.

The inside before refinishing the wood floor (and cleaning windows):
attachment.php

Attachments

• bay window.jpg
    bay window.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 371
  • bay-out.jpg
    bay-out.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 380
  • new bay in.jpg
    new bay in.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 353
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 359
No, I didn't do it myself, a friend of mine is a contractor, he made the bay window and did the ceiling etc. We helped along the way (as a cheap work force ;)) and did the finishing on the inside. It would take me way too long. I only made the plans of what it should look like and he build it for us.

I hated that big 60's window in a 20's house. So that just had to go. The metal ceiling is out, the better grade windows are in. Yes, it already makes a difference! Still way too much echo as is right now, due to all hard walls, floor and no blinds yet etc. My girl will pick out new curtains and she promised I could have back the damping panels. All in all there should be progress in keeping outside noise out and no rattling ceiling anymore.
But it's a lot of changes at once with the planned shading on the arrays.

I'll recoat the arrays as they are not as smooth after 5 years. They stretched (wood keeps on working) the texture on the outside but have been stable for a long time. A recoat is done purely for cosmetic reasons.

Last edited:
Oh no, not another non audio update (lol)...

The blinds arrived and are hanging. I did opt for a bigger size blinds, hoping it will act somewhat as a diffusive device. :)

attachment.php

We still need to find (and hang up) new curtains to hide my damping panels again.
We also haven't found suitable new wall art yet, to act as damping behind the couch.
It isn't easy to balance everything with my clear agenda and the other half's wishes (lol).

Lots of (little) projects to go before my attention is back on audio.
Still not quite over my cold, so things are still moving slow.

Attachments

• blinds.jpg
    blinds.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 342
We also haven't found suitable new wall art yet, to act as damping behind the couch.
It isn't easy to balance everything with my clear agenda and the other half's wishes (lol).

I may even get my old panel/poster back again :). This time with a black frame to go with our current theme. Most of our interior is black and white, so a splash of color would be welcome...

Sort of like this:
attachment.php

Attachments

• voorbeeldposter.jpg
    voorbeeldposter.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 335
Last edited: