The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Just ordered Silent Coat 4mm product. Tested very well (among the top of the list) in the "Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Car Audio" thread on DIYMobileAudio. I got a sneak preview at the results as they are not up yet. Probably will be soon.
The link to the whole thread I mentioned above: Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Now I need to figure out how to use it on the wavy shaped chamber :D. It is very flexible however, not like bitumen mats.

Last edited:
Wes, I'm curious, how much cabinet volume does each driver have? Hope the project is going well, I'm excited to see them finished in your listening room.

A rough figure after deadening would be about 2 liter per driver, maybe a little more. Driver volume is subtracted from that total. Second baffle is almost ready, just a few holes to redo in the rubber layer. Next up is dampening material tests and wiring. Not much else really.
Just want to make sure to think each step trough, There is enough time involved in this project not to mess it up.

Just got my amplifier back from service, ready to roll. (a 24 year old Pioneer amp, hope it's up for this job. It's a Pioneer A757 Mark II. 20 Kg of old-fashioned power. But it rates at ~ 100 watts RMS at 8 ohm. I sure do hope that's enough. Bought this amp new all those years ago and would hate to let it go.

Last edited:
Moving along for the second tower, lining up the baffle/drivers:
second-baffle.jpg

Very little difference between fiberglass and fiberglass/angel hair...
compare.jpg

The wool felt was only used on the vertical walls, I want to try that with fiberglass with all walls covered with wool felt. I ran out of time to be able to seriously test more combinations. The wiggle at 400 seemed lowest on the fiberglass/wool felt combo.
Compared to the speaker on baffle without box:
compare2.jpg

Last edited: