The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

No idea what the reason is then. With ASIO or WASAPI JRiver is bit-perfect and as such should sound exactly the same as every other bit-perfect playback software. With an EQ or other VST in the audio chain it is no longer bit-perfect of coarse. I believe the MAC-OS version is relatively new though, not sure as I have always been on Windows.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't try JRiver on a Mac, just on the PC.

I am at a loss as well. All these program should in theory provide great music accuracy. I tried both without applying EQ nor VSTs to be fair in comparison. Somewhere along the decode, the music got where it should be, or way off.

To be honest, when I setup JRiver, I was watching Star Trek 2009, and I thought it sounded nice at the time (as it should with a compressed cinematic soundtrack). Only when I played my orchestral track did I notice the "goo" effect.

So, although you are set on using JRiver as your main player, please, at some point, do try something else... just because! :) You may or may not find other ways to play your music accurately.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With ASIO or WASAPI JRiver is bit-perfect and as such should sound exactly the same as every other bit-perfect playback software.

Why? Most things are bit-perfect. Means all the data is there, but says absolutely noting about the critical timing of how those bits are shipped out, a much more important charcteristic.

Bit perfect is just step 1.

dave

That's what the DAC does, not the software...
Measurements might reveal something maybe?
Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Bit-Perfect Audiophile Music Players (Mac OS X).

Now lets see the same for Windows players:
http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2013/06/measurements-part-i-bit-perfect.html

You tell me which program plays better then, preferably on a PC running Windows... But do explain why, not just a "I clearly heard it was performing better".

Only differences left I.M.H.O. will be drivers and DAC...

Last edited:
It's early morning here, and coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but the links you gave, this guy took a file, asked some programs to send the digital data to another computer, and proved that all software can do that. So, the point being?

It's the promise of the CD... perfect copies over and over from a single source. But since my ears and brain are not digital, that didn't say anything about sound quality. CDs will not play the same when combined on different setups.

It's like saying I took 500g of flour from one scale, gave it to someone and made some bread. Then I used another type of scale to measure 500g to give to someone else... so the bread should taste the same, right? That's what I think I get from the articles from that Archimago's site.

Sure, all these can transfer the digital information correctly. But the music will be defined by the D/A transfert, and like you mentioned, drivers and DAC will play a huge role.

In my case, I used the same interface, amp and speakers. Only the digital part changed. So, I'd say drivers do play a huge role in impacting the sounds. But I have no way at the moment to tell the difference and find out if it was indeed Audirvana vs JRiver or the Presonus' drivers between Mac and Windows.

I'm glad your setup works well, and that you like how it sounds. It may be an indication that the culprit in sound quality are the drivers from Presonus. I'd like to get another interface and give it a try. That may help clear out things a bit!

Ok! Go back to your baffles now! :)

speakers-in.jpg

Pretty small, those M3 bolts and nuts! Drives you crazy!

With that many drivers times 4 even M8 bolts and nuts would drive me crazy! The good thing about going "nuts" at this stage is that you are nearly at the finish!

After all this hard work, disappointments, succeses and perseverance it must be great to get a good look at the finish!

I can't wait for your first listening experience....So please don't go crazy doing the second baffle/speakers.

Don't get too exited, just a test fit...
Still a lot more work ahead
first-shot.jpg

Nice comparison between old and new
baffle1.jpg

Even with the epoxy/glass layer you still see the Birch ply coming trough
baffle2.jpg

Should have cleaned the enclosure :eek:
baffle3.jpg

All in all pretty pleased with fit and finish. The polished baffle doesn't seem to
come trough as it takes on the colors of the environment. Or lack there off ;).

Last edited:
The bolts do take on color of the floor:)

(lol) Yes, they also take on the color of their environment.
Being the least noble metal in direct contact with the Aluminum doesn't seem to work well. I didn't want to use zinc plated bolts and RVS would be a bad choice too. Maybe a whiff of paint would cure it. These are standard blackened bolts... I like to keep them black.