Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2018, 03:36 PM   #2951
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
diyAudio Member

Amber shellac would be nice, after refinishing a few Russian rifles (Mosin-Nagant, AKM, SVT-40) and a Romanian training .22LR I really like how easy it is to use. I'm also partial to the garnet and ruby types, but best if you buy your own in flake form and mix with alcohol yourself.

Amber shellac has a beautiful "iodine" sort of look to it when done right, and can have nice depth over good grain.

Another option is pine tar (appropriately thinned) but it's messy and (to some, at least) stinky. I've yet to see a better finish for wavy grain in european hardwoods than pine tar.

Can you tell I'm a little old school
Old 20th October 2018, 12:51 AM   #2952
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

My 0.53x Karlsonators for dual 3FE25-16's just arrived. Wow, they are stunning! A huge thanks to my Benefactor in Washington State! I don't think I have ever seen cabinet quality this good - the lines are so square and precise. I love the square socket cap screws too for the front and the removable back panel.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-jpg

I will be off to HD tomorrow to get some linseed oil. I like the blonde look for the body and maybe espresso or dark stain for the apertures. I might leave it bare for a while to think about it though. Good thing I have a bag of 100 of those magic eraser scrub pads to use for sound dampening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator.jpg (331.2 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 20th October 2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 20th October 2018, 12:52 AM   #2953
diyAudio Member

Gorgeous!
Old 20th October 2018, 07:01 AM   #2954
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Default The wooden box curse is broken

For the 0.53x scale Karlsonator with dual 3FE25-16's, I was able to get it to sound great with the addition of sound dampening/absorbent materials as follows. Cover the areas adjacent to the back of the driver cones with a layer of Mr Clean magic eraser pads (white reticulated melamine foam). This includes the bottom, side, and back walls, plus the divider panel and walls of the braces. Use hot melt glue to affix the pads. Also apply the pads to the sides of the front chamber. Then apply a sheet of foam core (Dollar store type) to the inside of the K aperture.

Here is the back of the cabinet with removable panel and detail showing cleats to attach the panel. I had to add self-stick foam weather stripping to make an airtight seal for the back panel. Add foam weather stripping to the brace blocks as well so that the thickness of the displaced panel matches.
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-02-jpg

Here is the weather stripping seal for the back and also a layer of melamine foam pads at the bottom:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-03-jpg

Detail showing areas adjacent to drivers covered with melamine foam pads:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-04-jpg

and

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-05-jpg

Here is detail showing melamine foam pads mounted to front sidewall:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-06-jpg

Here is the back of the K aperture covered with a single layer of foamcore:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-07-jpg

Binding posts on the back:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-09-jpg

First sound test was using an M2 amp and 0.40x Karlsonator is shown on left:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-08-jpg

The drivers were a bit tricky to fit because the cutout is exactly the size of the magnet so there was no room for the wires to pass through. I used a file and cut two small notches to allow the 22ga wires to pass through. The space is so tight that no Faston connectors could be used - I had to solder the wires to the tabs to keep a low profile.

With all of this, the speaker sounds great. No hint of boxyness or hollow echoing sounds that plagued wooden cabinets for Karlsonators. I ran out of weather stripping so will have to assemble the second speaker tomorrow.

This is where I got my melamine foam pads from:
50 pcs/lot Melamine Sponge Magic Sponge Eraser Melamine Cleaner For Kitchen Office Bathroom Cleaning Tools Nano Sponge 8x5x3cm-in Sponges & Scouring Pads from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-02.jpg (340.0 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-03.jpg (290.7 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-04.jpg (140.9 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-05.jpg (174.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-06.jpg (238.1 KB, 1200 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-07.jpg (264.5 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-09.jpg (233.6 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-08.jpg (240.6 KB, 664 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 20th October 2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 20th October 2018, 07:33 AM   #2955
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
For the 0.53x scale Karlsonator with dual 3FE25-16's, I was able to get it to sound great with the addition of sound dampening/absorbent materials as follows. Cover the areas adjacent to the back of the driver cones with a layer of Mr Clean magic eraser pads (white reticulated melamine foam). This includes the bottom, side, and back walls, plus the divider panel and walls of the braces. Use hot melt glue to affix the pads. Also apply the pads to the sides of the front chamber. Then apply a sheet of foam core (Dollar store type) to the inside of the K aperture.

With all of this, the speaker sounds great. No hint of boxyness or hollow echoing sounds that plagued wooden cabinets for Karlsonators.

Thanks for posting X. Since I still have the foamcore version and didn't get round to re-build with LitePly, I'm naturally very interested in your assessment.

Won't the melamine foam pads affect the internal volume? Did you slice the foam pads in half?

Do you have a way to compare it to the sound of 'standard' foamcore speakers?
Old 20th October 2018, 07:46 AM   #2956
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I don’t have a foam core dual Karlsonator anymore. It currently has a PA130-8 in it. I am listening to a 0.40x with a 3FE25-4 next to it and they have a similar sound. I don’t hear the problematic tunnel sound that I would sometimes get from other wooden box K aperture type speakers.

The foam is porous - reticulated foam is like a flow through air filter. It takes up very little volume.
Old 20th October 2018, 08:13 AM   #2957
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I am listening to a 0.40x with a 3FE25-4 next to it and they have a similar sound. I don’t hear the problematic tunnel sound that I would sometimes get from other wooden box K aperture type speakers.

The foam is porous - reticulated foam is like a flow through air filter. It takes up very little volume.

Good to know that it sounds 'right'.

Every time I listen to mine, I'm amazed that the imaging and soundstage is so incredibly good.

Last edited by Skylar88; 20th October 2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 20th October 2018, 03:42 PM   #2958
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Some more listening tests with this new speaker using the Hugh Dean Omega 35w Class A amp. It sounds wonderful - the beautiful sound we have come to expect from the mini Karlsonator is all there nothing anomalous. Definitely no boxiness or tunnel sound. I think the addition of a layer of thin paper faced foam core on the inside of the K aperture probably makes a huge difference. This speaker provides very good cone control. I hardly see any cone movement even when it’s playing loud kick drums that I would expect a big movement on. I am wondering if as a general practice, gluing a layer foam core to the inside walls of all wooden speakers may make them sound better in general.
Old 20th October 2018, 04:19 PM   #2959
diyAudio Member

Man, I need a set of those! Glad to hear you were able to get them foamed and stuffed correctly.

If your "benefactor" is interested in doing another set I would love a pair.
Old 20th October 2018, 09:13 PM   #2960
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

First coat of boiled linseed oil applied. I sanded it with 320 grit paper while it was wet with oil. Finish is pretty nice with a rich color and getting smoother. In 48hrs will apply and sand again.
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-blo-fnish-08-jpg

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's-jan-karlsonator-blo-fnish-09-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-BLO-fnish-08.jpg (263.4 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Jan-Karlsonator-BLO-fnish-09.jpg (139.2 KB, 485 views)

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!