Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2015, 03:44 AM   #1361
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

would "this" be it? NXT System Designer 1.1 Download - PanSys.exe
Old 6th April 2015, 03:59 AM   #1362
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Same page.

The big "Download" button is an ad.

If you look on the left, there's a grey box mentioning if we know any working links for the download... obviously, not...
Old 6th April 2015, 06:28 AM   #1363
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

my apologies - hopefully CLS knows the secret
Old 6th April 2015, 07:16 AM   #1364
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Sorry, no. My bad.

I just read in that article mentioning "PanSys", and then google it without confirmation.

I've heard there're some unknown issues in/around NXT. Maybe they stop sharing the secrets.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:37 AM   #1365
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

New thread on DML's as a Full Range Speaker started here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...e-speaker.html
Old 29th April 2015, 01:01 PM   #1366
MuddJester is offline MuddJester  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 0.4x Karlsonator Score and Fold Method Plans

Finally! I have gotten far enough in my build to verify accuracy of my plans. I re-did the plans because I wanted to do the score and fold method and there were no plans for that. I made my model starting with the 0.4x Karlsonator scaling (detailed in the attached plans) and then I modeled the folded sections as sheet metal in SolidWorks. SolidWorks will "unfold" sheet metal parts, I just told it to apply zero stretching of the material on the outer radius of the bends. This way SolidWorks calculates the cut length and bend lines automatically. I have made the cuts and bends as shown in my plans and they work great.

I also included the aperture profile to scale so it can be used as a template. The aperture starts at a 3/16" width and the curve was calculated from the equation given by XRK (I can't find the post right now, but I think it's earlier in this thread).

As far as units go, I like to work with decimal inches but I know most people don't have decimal inch rulers (I have machinist rules I use). Most rulers/tape measures that are 30 inches long have 1/16 inch increments so I included dimensions on the cut diagrams to the nearest 1/32. That way people (in the USA at least) don't need special equipment or lots of work calculating to use these plans, you just need to be able to estimate half way between 1/16 inch marks. If there is a desire for a metric plan I can easily change the units (easy as making a selection from a drop down menu), so let me know.

I did not include my suggested brace from the modal analysis. I don't have a measurement microphone (yet) and I didn't want to show plans including something that's untested.

I tried to give all applicable credit on the first page. If there needs to be any corrections please let me know.

I hope others find these useful!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0.4x_Karlsonator_Plans.pdf (51.2 KB, 2108 views)
Old 29th April 2015, 03:28 PM   #1367
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Mudjester: Thank you for an excellent set of plans for the 0.40x K'nator!
I just updated Post#1 with the link so people can find it easily. I have used the sheet metal unfold method in SW too - works great. I used it to make the 2d cut plan for the curved wall tractrix horn.

For those in Europe or elsewhere without access to $1 dollar store foam core - corrugated white cardboard works very well too as long as it is about 3/16in (circa 5mm) thick. Why white color? The brown stuff is too ugly to make a speaker with

Last edited by xrk971; 29th April 2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 29th April 2015, 04:16 PM   #1368
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Mudjester: Thank you for an excellent set of plans for the 0.40x K'nator!
I just updated Post#1 with the link so people can find it easily. I have used the sheet metal unfold method in SW too - works great. I used it to make the 2d cut plan for the curved wall tractrix horn.

For those in Europe or elsewhere without access to $1 dollar store foam core - corrugated white cardboard works very well too as long as it is about 3/16in (circa 5mm) thick. Why white color? The brown stuff is too ugly to make a speaker with
Thank you! I'm very happy you like it!
I find it very odd how much I like making proper documentation.

It didn't occur to me about the difference in thickness of available materials. I can easily update the drawing with a new thickness. I constrained the model in such a way that it would be easy to update, but getting the bend radius right might be difficult. If someone can give me the outer radius of a bend with a desired material I'll create a new set of drawings for it.
Old 29th April 2015, 06:32 PM   #1369
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

That's really cool Muddjester.

I'd imagine coroplast would be another good material to try, as it is essentially plastic corrugated cardboard, and it comes in lots of colors.

Brown cardboard is cool xrk . Well ok, it's kind of lame, but there is always spray paint.
Old 29th April 2015, 08:02 PM   #1370
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
That's really cool Muddjester.

I'd imagine coroplast would be another good material to try, as it is essentially plastic corrugated cardboard, and it comes in lots of colors.

Brown cardboard is cool xrk . Well ok, it's kind of lame, but there is always spray paint.
Thanks Greg!

I think I know the material you're talking about, but isn't it usually kinda flimsy?Maybe that's just after the first bend. I don't know where to find it, but if someone wants a drawing for it, just let me know thickness and outer radius after a score and bend.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!