QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

In fact maybe someone can help here. I need a source for the SE input connector, see attached. So far I found one in the UK but at 4 pounds seems expensive! There must be a lower cost far east source!

Jan

Does it have to RCA Jan. This style connector is readily available in BNC from all sorts of suppliers.

There is another similar to this for 2.24 CAD @ Digi.

Attachments

• 5413631-1, 5413631-2, 5413631-3_tmb.jpg
    5413631-1, 5413631-2, 5413631-3_tmb.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does it have to RCA Jan. This style connector is readily available in BNC from all sorts of suppliers.

There is another similar to this for 2.24 CAD @ Digi.

Well I don't know, wouldn't you want an RCA as the single-ended input?
I actually had a BNC there initially which is an exact form and fit replacement for a buck.

Jan

Well I don't know, wouldn't you want an RCA as the single-ended input?
I actually had a BNC there initially which is an exact form and fit replacement for a buck.

Jan

On test equipment BNC for two reasons. With RCA the ground breaks first when removed and the signal pin makes before ground on insertion. Secondly BNCs I think are generally just all around better quality. RCA was never meant to be used the way they are. The RCA connector was intended to be a board to board or internal point to point connector inside a chassis like they are in HP339A.

But get the other guy's opinion too.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
¾" is not a standard metric dimension.
Since that would equal 19.05mm, the beaurocrats probably can't get their heads around the extra 0.05mm.
Maybe they insist on 20mm instead !

Actually ALL 19mm pitch speaker binding posts and connector blocks that accept banana's here are sold with a small plastic insert blocking the hole so you can't plug a mains plug into it.

I have a bunch of these spare if someone wants them :cool:
The inserts, that is.

Jan

Last edited:
I can understand that for banana plugs because I actually did plug my dad's speaker into the wall when I was a toddler. But I don't think I could have got a BNC in there.

I wanted to listen to some music. Thought it all came from the wall.
It made a loud hum and then stopped.

Funny - I did EXACTLY the same thing. It was a very loud BANG. The year was 1959, I was 5 and the speaker was a Wharfdale. I was never allowed to touch our beautiful Garrard 401 after that for like 10 years.....It was one of the stories I told my wife after I decided she's going to be my wife..to come clean for ALL sins, so to speak.

That is funny.

But I live in North America where the outlets are all blade type. No one knows, to this day, how I managed to get a banana plug into it. I don't remember myself.

I do recall thinking all music came from the wall. Afterwards, I figured the box was necessary to filter what you want to hear. Couldn't figure out what the the black disc thing was for at the time. I was 2 years then. 1961.

Last edited:
That is funny.

But I live in North America where the outlets are all blade type. No one knows, to this day, how I managed to get a banana plug into it. I don't remember myself.

I do recall thinking all music came from the wall. Afterwards, I figured the box was necessary to filter what you want to hear. Couldn't figure out what the the black disc thing was for at the time. I was 2 years then.

I was invincible at 5. There was a brown thing plugged into the wall and it had round holes in it, slightly large than the banana's. Why it was there and what it was I no longer remember. Perhaps it was my dad's plug adapter since he traveled a fair bit.

There was a gathering of friends at our house, and I was just trying to please the crowd with some music....

Oh it surely becomes available! I just am putting the finishing touches on the BOM to get the cost together. There are a lot of 0.1% resistors for instance, and Mouser will have some values from one brand in stock, other values from another brand, and they need to be the right size etc. A lot of keyboard pushes! ;)
Hope to have more info coming week.

Jan

I definitely want to purchase one too...this is perfect companion for either QA401 or any soundcard.
Please let me know when it is ready and what the price for this auto-range device is going to be.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am leaning now towards assembling a kit of the two PC boards, the complete SilentSwitcher supply, the case and the programmed controller.

I don't want to spend my days soldering dozens of boards and having that done by a company is very expensive.

There are many SMDs on the board but they are relatively large (minimum 0805) and should be easy to solder.
I am also looking into the option to have the PC boards made with the SMDs only; it's the through-hole parts that make assembly expensive, but these can be easily done diy.

I am waiting for some more info on it.

Jan

I am leaning now towards assembling a kit of the two PC boards, the complete SilentSwitcher supply, the case and the programmed controller.

I don't want to spend my days soldering dozens of boards and having that done by a company is very expensive.

There are many SMDs on the board but they are relatively large (minimum 0805) and should be easy to solder.
I am also looking into the option to have the PC boards made with the SMDs only; it's the through-hole parts that make assembly expensive, but these can be easily done diy.

I am waiting for some more info on it.

Jan

Personally I would preferred a finished soldered board by board house.
If you make 10-20 of those, wouldn't be the price very reasonable?
I mean, just a thought!