ELEKIT TU-8200R

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Power transformer, OPTs, internal wiring, heaters all produce noise or signal interference. An MM phono preamp has about 1000x gain at 50-60 Hz, MC pickups require 15-20x more.

The Mission was designed with the phono preamp. Small layout changes can make a lot of difference.

This might be my wishful thinking and instead of USB DAC Add-On (PS-3249), if it could be added Phono equaliser (PS-3250) into the amp, it would be awesome so all of analog inputs are covered and have external DAC which I guess most of users use instead.

Not sure I understand the basis of this comment - be aware that the "internal" DAC utilizes input two, leaving the only free input as input one. The DAC has a 1/8" audio cable that connects to the 3-pole mini-jack on Input 2, which has priority over the RCA. The advantage of the internal DAC is one less box on your shelf with one less power cable to plug in (and perhaps neater wiring setup for signals).

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I also purchased the PS-3249 together with the TU-8200. It is a good soldering exercise, but I never put that into the amp not just because of the additional external mini-jack cable, but also because this amp deserves a proper external DAC.

The phono board would have to use an additional pair of RCA inputs so it could not be implemented without additional casework even if it could be powered via USB.

Not sure I understand the basis of this comment - be aware that the "internal" DAC utilizes input two, leaving the only free input as input one. The DAC has a 1/8" audio cable that connects to the 3-pole mini-jack on Input 2, which has priority over the RCA. The advantage of the internal DAC is one less box on your shelf with one less power cable to plug in (and perhaps neater wiring setup for signals).

I see. Thank you. I was wondering what the 1/8" jack was for and now understand.

For me, I use external DAC because I need Coax connection with my streamer and Optical connection for my CD transport so external DAC is the only option and DAC technology changes so fast so I personally would prefer external DAC and have phono board built in instead if possible.

I also purchased the PS-3249 together with the TU-8200. It is a good soldering exercise, but I never put that into the amp not just because of the additional external mini-jack cable, but also because this amp deserves a proper external DAC.

The phono board would have to use an additional pair of RCA inputs so it could not be implemented without additional casework even if it could be powered via USB.

This may be crazy and what if phono board is sealed with thin aluminium case and mount inside where optional DAC board is meant to be mounted?

This is just asking and I might use PS-3250 with external chassis with 12V battery powered.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
The inrush current is not a big issue due to the limitations of the power transformer. The PTC before the bridge may get activated though.

I use a 330uF/400V snap-in cap in my amp and it fits the space, but that is the original model, which does not have a PTC at the same place.

Must power be turned off before switching between inputs?

Hi all - I'm a proud owner of an Elekit TU-8200R (with a recently installed PS-3249R, FWIW). The "Operation Check" of the build instructions tell you to turn OFF the power before disconnecting headphones and a sound source connected to Input2 - the connect a sound source to Input1. Turn back on to check the sound, etc. from Input1.
All well and good: but once the amplifier passes these initial checks - is it still necessary to turn the power off before switching between inputs? I would find this a bit strange, but better to be safe than sorry with expensive tubes, etc. Thanks in advance -

Hi1
I have the 8200R with kt88 power tubes in it. I have had them in for a good while now.
I was playing a CD when in the third song the amp volume went to about half for some reason. The volume controll was at 1/4.
Do you think the automatic bias may have changed for some reason?
Has this happened to any one else?

Hi Folks!

I bought the original 8200 already assembled about a year ago. The instructions stated that it is suitable for 16-600 ohm headphones. Recently I realized my mistake by reading this thread. I have 2 headphones Audeze lcd2nf and audio-technica W5000. The sound of the headphones was fine for me, but there was a feeling that sound was somehow strange.

After reading this thread, there are the following ideas on how you can try 8200 with my headphones:

1. bypass the resistors P41 and P42 and try using your headphones through jack 6.3. Replace the 50 ohm potentiometer with 100 ohm to increase the volume adjustment range.
2. Try to connect headphones to the speaker output and see how it will be before doing any manipulations from idea number 1.

I am afraid of damaging the amplifier itself or the headphones in doing so. Except the too high signal level passing to the headphone accidentally, what other issues can I face with?

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited: