Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

don't trash your TEAC UD-H01 DAC, pimp it!
don't trash your TEAC UD-H01 DAC, pimp it!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2018, 04:23 PM   #11
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
700mA drive capability of the TPA6120 is a word, and those china boards are indeed very cheap, so I ordered two of them just for fun.
Old 15th December 2018, 08:07 PM   #12
weissi is offline weissi  Austria
diyAudio Member

Ad TPA6120: The output resistor of those boards is only 10 Ohms as well. But to mod it to balanced input you need 0603 resistors (well, I've managed to fit 0805 there). Fortunately the PCB layout is prepared for balanced input.
I'd even thought on paralleling them to drive the tweeter of my active monitors

... AND: Be aware, all my boards had the supply caps reversed! Even the silkscreen is wrong.

Having read the NJM Muse datasheet again, I'd really recommend to get rid of that and replace it with an opamp that has higher GBW. Solder the SO8-DIP adapter directly onto the PCB, those socket connectors do no good as I have experienced with my PCM1794a DAC (and likely I've seen on your HP amp board). Maybe you can re-use those "miracle opamps" somewhere other.

If you're on it, replace those 47F 'lytics around the DACs with something like SMD polymer tantalums.
The Iref resistors (R200 & R300) are nominally 10k, according to Doede Duma (DDDAC) he's got best results with 6K8. I'm not sure since this applies to a PCM1794a and PCM1795 is different in that it output current is only half of that.
Old 15th December 2018, 08:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Where do you get the TI-EVM from? Digikey's shipment costs are rather high... The INA1620 really seems to be excellent. Thx!
Old 15th December 2018, 09:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weissi View Post
Where do you get the TI-EVM from? Digikey's shipment costs are rather high... The INA1620 really seems to be excellent. Thx!
http://www.ti.com/tool/INA1620EVM
go to "order now"
Old 15th December 2018, 10:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... AND: Be aware, all my boards had the supply caps reversed! Even the silkscreen is wrong.
Thanks!
Will use them single ended for simplicity

Quote:
Having read the NJM Muse datasheet again, I'd really recommend to get rid of that and replace it with an opamp that has higher GBW.
Those are gonna to stay.
In the thread I linked the real interesting thing is that so many have had commented without have given it a try.
Those who did, clearly did vote as for its outstanding musicality, as I would have assumed from a NJM device anyway.

I always found NJM opamps superior in this respect, specs simply don't reflect this.
I even may roll the OPA2209 for a NJM2068 at a time I have further familiarized with the TEAC feeding an external HP amp
Old 16th December 2018, 01:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Maybe some anecdotal background to highlight my preferences.

NJM seems to be very successful in tracing down musical aspects and in incorporate related key design parameters for many years now.
This I first came across some decades ago when I modded my first consumer grade Philips CD player that had decent sound. Not on par with the qualities of my Sondec / Ittok / Karma of course but quite listenable. Any improvement on the power supply was rewarded by the MJN chips in there with an audible increase of musicality.
At this time NJM opamps were not available here, so I bought some as expensive spare parts through a local Pilips service partner.
Times have changed since.

On the other side of early commercially sound orientated chip designs was the SSM line developed by PMI, which has, after some acquisitions, finally arrived at TI. The most well know part of this line may perhaps have been the SSM2017 which I used as a front end for an instrumentation amp for a by then 16bit sound card.
This SSM2017 in ceramic package I had to order directly from PMI and it arrived with a declaration of the US Defence Department to my surprise. Seems they looked at this parts to be sort of a military secret.
Times have changed since.

By now even TI mammoth has put up sound related series and invested in auditioning facilities to get a better grip on the mystery of sound perception.
Quite a development to look at these things over the past years and decades.

Last edited by mige0; 16th December 2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 16th December 2018, 02:23 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mige0 View Post
This I first came across some decades ago when I modded my first consumer grade Philips CD player that had decent sound.
Now I know why you use Nichicon Muse caps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MuseBP.jpg (121.2 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by weissi; 16th December 2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 16th December 2018, 03:19 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Not exactly, these I came across more recently when digging into the topic of measuring lytics:

Nichicon Muse ES bipolar caps measured: <-120dB THD, <-140dB IMD

and some others pioneered by Cyril Bateman that got equally exceptional measurements for the bipolar Nichicons
Cyril Bateman's Capacitor Sound articles | Linear Audio NL

By the way.
I did add an out resistor of 5.6ohm to the OPA1622 and oscillation did't show up again until now.

Last edited by mige0; 16th December 2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 16th December 2018, 03:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mige0 View Post
By the way.
I did add an out resistor of 5.6ohm to the OPA1622 and oscillation did't show up again until now.
It also renders sound to the better now, more balanced between treble and bass.
Maybe OPA1622 , just plugged in that way I did, has been operating way too close to the onset of oscillation having too low a phase margin when driving the AKG K701.
Hard to verify by measurement.

Last edited by mige0; 16th December 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 18th December 2018, 10:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Now that I might have spotted the most delicate points in hardware and elaborated for me a way to improve hardware sonics - though not yet fully there - I started to dig into behaviour of reconstruction filters at various bit rates.

All measurements shown were taken with 16bit square wave files created by Audacity at 0dB (more to that later). Yellow and blue trace are XLR hot/ cold, green trace is HP out.
24bit output looks no different.

Here are given some easy to read explanations on the topic of reconstruction filters to compare with:
High resolution audio, asynchronous USB, oversampling, upsampling and stuff: The current state of affairs – Audial

All measurements are taken from the TEAC UD-H01 fed by a Linux/ Ubuntu PC through Guayadeque Music Player.
This one can be configured to output directly to ALSA layer, and thus circumvents the system wide used PulseAudio layer. PulseAudio seems to resample each and evertyhing into 48kHz before passing to USB, if any PC sounds must be mixed.
Attached Images
File Type: png 44_16.PNG (14.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: png 48_16.PNG (13.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: png 88_16.PNG (13.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: png 96_16.PNG (12.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: png 176_16.PNG (11.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png 192_16.PNG (10.8 KB, 26 views)

don't trash your TEAC UD-H01 DAC, pimp it!Hide this!Advertise here!