Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There is a shield for an unknown (yet) clock circuit inside....

Attachments

• DAC - clock.jpg
    DAC - clock.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 695
There is a shield for an unknown (yet) clock circuit inside....

Yep, I can see the folded metal on the corners. Wonder how easy it is to take off?

Take a look at the revised photo below. I think that track we can see with the fat white stripe, goes into Pin 24 and is the clock input pin? If that is right, then if there is no problem disabling the old clock, then that track can be cut to access the XIn. But would be best to disable that clock. But that could be done by cutting the track the supplies the power. So the shield may not have to be removed?

Also, wonder what frequency they are using, still the old 54MHz or have they gone up to the max 100MHz according to spec sheet? Then they should have used a SAW clock there. Maybe they did and there is a SAW oscillator under that shield?

Attachments

• Oppo_205_Clock_Angle-2.jpg
    Oppo_205_Clock_Angle-2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 684
Joined 2009
Paid Member
As that shield is not so big, a little bit more powerful soldering iron on it it will do the job quite well... I may not use a hot gun, as it could warm up (for too long) a too big surface around that place.
Indeed, the clock trace is that one you have also seen it already. There are few ways to inject a new clock signal on that pin, without removing the shield. However, I will remove it (at least the first one) to take a closer look at what it may be there.
So, if you are patient, you can wait for this event, which it may happen quite soon...;)

In stock form, the RCA dedicated sounds much better to me than the XLR. To improve on the XLR performance, I have removed the SMD cap parallelling the 1632 Op-Amp and replaced it with WIMA. Also, have bypass most of the big electrolytic with WIMA on the bottom side. Big improvement with the XLR a tiny tad better than the RCA now. Please let me know if you guys see anything I can improve on. Thank you!

Attachments

• Oppo 205 XLR Mod.jpg
    Oppo 205 XLR Mod.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 632
  • Oppo 205 Bypass.jpg
    Oppo 205 Bypass.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You did right with the bypass caps. I do not know yet the value of the caps used on 1632 opamps, but I would like to use some SMD film (if applicable) or some smaller as dimensions caps there.

I can see another design improvement Oppo have adopted on this latest model: the use of OPA1632, which is an approach for the post DAC signal processing, we are talking about in these dedicated threads, for long time ago also....

The increasing of the filtering caps capacities (power rails), will have a beneficial result for audio signal quality. As I can see in your picture, Oppo have planted some 3300µ caps for (supposing) DAC power rails, and rated for 50v. This is just stupid in my opinion! In that place the voltage does not exceed 10v. Why using 50v rated caps? For the same physical dimensions and for at least 16v rated caps, the capacities of these caps could be increased a lot.... And large capacities for filtering caps after rectifiers is a very simple way to improve the overall signal quality...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Finally got my 205. :)
The very first impressions for sound (out of the box): another quality level, comparing with the former (stock) model. Very good sound scene, very good dynamics, and richness of details. However, I feel the sound as quite digital... Well, some very first impressions after an hour listening...
The firmware (even updated to the last one) it fail on network playback (file managing), while the former model is flawless in this respect....
Playback quality from USB disk is very good... Well, many things I haven`t yet tested it... Thinking already how it may work with a linear PSU for digital stage, and after lot of other necessary improvements.... I said before it may be fewer necessary mods for this new edition, but it I seems I was too fast in this appreciation....
However, the new DAC chip it looks like is really just a exceptional piece of...DAC. Its dynamics is obvious much better than the previous one, so as it is in this stock 205...
Well, much more to come in the near future. Very promising... Ironical enough, I do not have the time right now to get deeper into this new Oppo device...

Last edited:
Finally got my 205. :)
The very first impressions for sound (out of the box)...

Any idea of the Sabre DAC's clock frequency? Did they go from 54MHz up to or closer to 100MHz (max in datasheet).

Should have had mine over a week ago, except for the carelessness of a truck driver, dropping the box from near 3 metres height, box looking very damaged and didn't accept the delivery. So Coris, you beat us to getting one first.

I am off to Melbourne and on Wednesday evening 8PM will be doing the presentation at the Melbourne Audio Club at Whitehorse Centre, Melbourne. Everybody welcome.

Setting up from 6PM and maybe get some music time in even before 8PM.

Will be bringing some interesting stuff, including a rather new concept of a tube amplifier called "Beyond Triode" with a rather different looking circuit. Our "JLTi" Oppo 105 of course, and the DIY Transconductance Amp featured on diyaudio.com (Here) driving Elsinore Mk6 speakers with 'current' and not the usual voltage amp. An amplifier with zero 'damping factor' driving a speaker that has internal damping that makes 'damping factor' unnecessary. Should be an interesting night and a chance to make good friends in the great city of Melbourne, Victoria.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I hope I will find a little bit time in the next days, to remove the clock cover, taking a closer look inside...
BTW, I had the privilege of getting the first 205 unit which was officially sold here in Norway...

Comparing this stock 205, with the predecessor stock 105, I have to only say that this last player`s quality level on its outputs it is very impressive. So as it is, out of the box. For picture there is the 4k step forward. So a quality progress in this field it was expected, and I can confirm it. I was and I still be surprised by the sound quality, out of the new DAC chip. Repeat, so as it is this device, out of the factory... I just wonder now how much higher it can go the overall quality level, after correcting what is to be corrected (because there are enough many things...). I suspect the clock it may not be just the first priority in an improvement approach.
I was not so satisfied with the XLR output, but the headphone out is just amazing (tested it as line out). I`m not sure now about the relay switching when one use the headphone out, as I could not hear any relay click when connecting the headphone plug... To be further investigated...
Well, my preliminary appreciation is that it may not be only the new Sabre DAC chip involved in the outputted signal quality, but it is also here involved a high precision in digital processing, due to the new generation main processor. And maybe new Oppo design approaches implemented into the system. I think actually there is here more about digital processing precision, reflected into the outputted high quality. And the processing precision it is huge for the new 205 model.
I remember very well that the 105 stock player (out of the box) it had a "sound scene" divided into three areas: left speaker, right speaker, and a central point in between the two speakers. Horrible!!! The 205 it reveal a wide (but not just enough 3D in my opinion) and very precise sound scene, so just out of the box. The progress, and the gap in between the two models is only impressive! This is about high precision into the digital system, with of course the impact and contribution of the new and higher quality DAC chip. In fact the new DAC chip it add another level of the same parameter: precision, to the system and into the signal processing, converting, and so on.
I appreciate so far that the post DAC signal processing it not fit quite well for the high result of the digital processing, and its high precision (well it may be a personal and subjective appreciation). At least for XLR out, which I tested/listened it first. Switching to the headphone out it was indeed a revelation for me. I haven`t tested yet the RCA, because I liked much the headphone as line out...
To be continued...

Last edited:
Congratulations! Coris, on the the new 205. The 205 is really something! It is the best source for me so far. I also use the USB about 90% of the time for music listening and it's superb. I agree 100% that something is wrong with the XLR and it's in part due to the SMD ceramic cap in place. The harshness goes away when I changed it out for the WIMA. The cut sheet for the 1632 shows the parallel cap to be 1nF for sample schematic. Let me know if you find the value to be something different. So far, I have not noticed any negative result. I will have to try the phono out as a line source. What did you think of the RCA outs? I find it to be very close to the modified XLR. liquid smooth with more dimension, but less mid presence.

Not sure what power cord you are using, but do not use the 203 cord for sure. That thing kills the mid bass. I will test the 205 stock cord tomorrow and let you know how it compares to my standard. I have been using Oyaide Black Mamba v2 (2-meter length) and it sounds excellent with extremely low noise floor.

I think I will try to upsize the filtering caps like you suggested and also bypassing the two 2200uF Acon caps in the RCA line. Ordering the filtering caps now. :)

Looking forward to seeing yours, Joe's, and Rich's adventures with the 205. It is an amazing unit IMHO.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Congratulations! Coris, on the the new 205. The 205 is really something! It is the best source for me so far. I also use the USB about 90% of the time for music listening and it's superb. I agree 100% that something is wrong with the XLR and it's in part due to the SMD ceramic cap in place. The harshness goes away when I changed it out for the WIMA. The cut sheet for the 1632 shows the parallel cap to be 1nF for sample schematic. Let me know if you find the value to be something different. So far, I have not noticed any negative result. I will have to try the phono out as a line source. What did you think of the RCA outs? I find it to be very close to the modified XLR. liquid smooth with more dimension, but less mid presence.

Not sure what power cord you are using, but do not use the 203 cord for sure. That thing kills the mid bass. I will test the 205 stock cord tomorrow and let you know how it compares to my standard. I have been using Oyaide Black Mamba v2 (2-meter length) and it sounds excellent with extremely low noise floor.

I think I will try to upsize the filtering caps like you suggested and also bypassing the two 2200uF Acon caps in the RCA line. Ordering the filtering caps now. :)

Looking forward to seeing yours, Joe's, and Rich's adventures with the 205. It is an amazing unit IMHO.

I have tested/listened to the RCA outputs. There are better indeed than the XLR ones, but the headphone out is the best so far (in my appreciation). The sound stege it open up even more, the sounds it getting more volume. Well, much more pleasant to listen so. This is definitely the best output for the stock device (my opinion).

In my appreciation (I have to disappoint you) the power cable impact over the outputted sound quality is just zero. There are so many thing which it have a very real improvement impact, but never a such power AC cable...
Just imagine, the original SMPS used by Oppo in their devices is a so high HF noise source, which can affect in real the whole system, as the two power wires which it make the connection between the wall and the player it have absolutely no whatsoever impact over the audio signal outputted from the device. Well, if this player should take hundreds of watts from the main AC, then one could think at some possible impacts of a such cable over the powered system. This player it use no more than 65W through a power cable capable to sustain ten times more...

Thanks, Coris on the feedback on the phono versus RCA. I have to make a cable to split the channels and into XLR inputs. Is there anything else specific you have to do to the cable?

Do not worry about disappointing me on the AC power cords. I have done many DIY cords with various gauges and lengths, and notice quite a difference in each one, but we can agree to disagree. :) The AC cord is really an extension of the power supply and functions as shieldling, filtering (hence the 2M), and impulse power delivery. I think I can convince you if you were in my listening room. :) Most of my guess can hear the difference immediately. The 203 really is not too good, the 205 cord is actually very good.

Using hydraulic as an anology, since it's my field. Similar to orifice restrictor (AC outlet), the AC cord is the major thing the turbine (Oppo motor) sees upstream. Any water hammer effects will impact this section first and the most.

I have ordered some RA3 series 4700uF 35V. Will let you guys know when it arrives. Cheers.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
As I understand, you have available only XLR inputs in your system. I`m not the adept of such cable converting RCA to XLR. The best way is to use a transformer for conversion, but this approach is quite expensive...
I agree that the power cable it can act as a filter, minimising some AC network noises. This in case the device it does not yet have a filtering cell for main AC included into its power supply. As usual, all the SMPS it have included a such filter, but not always the transformer based ones. The all Oppo players have included such filtering, and are using SMPS. My point in this regard is that the possible AC main HF noises it have less impact over the device (powered system), than the ones generated by the SMPS itself. Well this about power cable it may be a stand alone subject for enough long discussions....:)

Indeed, Oppo 203 is not so good for sound, as a stock device. After improvements applied to its DAC board, the 203 it can output a very surprising high audio quality, so with that quite cheap AKM DAC chip...

Last edited:
Got a chance to check the headphone section with my headphone and line level out (~about 1 hour of playing time). Not sure if it needs to burn-in more, but I think you will like the modification to the XLR. To me, the mod XLR is even more dynamic and open. Maybe the headphone section will settle in with more playing time. :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, for sure. My appreciations are for an "out of the box" device. I haven`t even open it yet... I know already there are many enough areas to be modified, and improved. I`m also sure that all the outputs it will sounds much, much better. XLR it should be the best output, as functional concept, but for an untouched device, in my opinion the headphone it sounds best as line output.
The quality difference I perceive in between the headphone out and the rest, it may be due mainly because the headphone output is not AC coupled, as the rest ones. About this AC coupling er also improvements to be done. Well, quite many as I can see in the first instance...
However, the most important improvement by far and with impact for the whole device, is the replacement of the original SMPS for digital stage, with a linear PSU...

Agreed!

Looking forward to your mod on the SMPS to linear PSU.

Been thinking that maybe Europe 220V makes the power cord less significant. It seems that Japan and USA tend to focus more on wires with the lower 110V and 100V. Makes sense that we have less potential and any voltage drop and irregularities are more significant in the lower mains. Sorry to digress again. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
My linear PSU for 205 (LPM) is already finished (before the 205 model was issued on market). The version for 203, is installed already on many 203 devices...
Here is the version which it fit for both devices (for testing purposes, but usually the +/- section is not necessary for 205). However, the board is designed to fit for both new models, and even fitting for 103/105/105D ones, accordingly populated.
It is only a paradox that I had no yet the time to mount it in my own 205...

Attachments

• New LPM compatible for both 203-205.jpg
    New LPM compatible for both 203-205.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 569
That looks great, Coris. The Parasound JC2, which I am thinking of picking up, has a R-Core transformer as well. Must be very good! What is the output voltage if you don't mind me asking?

I have added a little more WIMAs to the board and they have really opened up the unit some more. The RCA is now my preference again. It just sounds more natural. Reverb, decay, attack, and vocal resonance seems to be just right, but I am hearing all this through a modded Parasound P7, which is not a true balanced pre-amp. Also, hooking both RCA (in) and XLR (in) at the same time on the P7 changes the sound, best to disconnect one or the other when testing.

I will test the 205 XLR direct to a pair of Nord NC500 soon to see how it compares.

Now, to see how I can put together a LPM for the 205 with 110V. :)

Attachments

• IMAG3739.jpg
    IMAG3739.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 536
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The output voltage of the linear PSU is 12v (standard voltage for new series - 203/205).
One of particularities for my LPM is the huge filtering capacity, in this case 0,4F. Also remote sensing current is used in regulation circuit, to ensure the best regulation and lowest ripple at the end connection point. A supplementary HF filtering cell is added at the end connection point. Also double AC main filtering cells are included: one for the main R core transformer, and one filtering cell for the toroid transformer (analogue board). The R core transformer is double shielded (one separation shield in between primary/secondary, as an external one), everything grounded.
An optional adjustable PSU for an inaudible cooling fan is also included. The LPM it dissipate through the chassis bottom, through large area thermal pad. A forced ventilation may not be necessary for the 203 model, but for 205 model it still be good to have it....
The LPM it can be customised for US or European AC network standard, as well.

Last edited: