Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Three phone calls this morning confirm shops in Sydney Australia & Auckland New Zealand been told they can start selling stock, so it's here!

I need to asked the question. Will you be getting one Joe? Most retailers are offering an introductory discount. Since there's cases of the 203 having disc reading issues because of its home grown optical drives I'm very sure that the 205 has inherent this issue too. There's also no mentioned on a RAM buffer like that on the 105, possible because it's using USB 3.0 but I'm guessing.

Last edited:
I need to asked the question. Will you be getting one Joe? Most retailers are offering an introductory discount...

Answer is yes. There are just some things we will not be 100% sure about until we get a physical sample to look and hopefully the issues you mention are being addressed. What is the introductory price being offered by retailers? My offsider Val Pazin has an account with InterDyn, so we will get one directly, hopefully soon. Probably Coris might get one before we do.

BTW, coming down to Melbourne, I will be doing the presentation at the Melbourne Audio Club on Wednesday 17th of May, only two weeks away. I will of course bring a 105 Level 4.2+ACB.

Note: I have a question about the oppo 205 Can these player also streaming high resolution audio music for example tidal ( like a network player) the same as the sonica dac?
And is the Netflix application also available on this player?

I would renew my oppo player to this one but I need to know of these 2 application are available on the oppo 205

This is the answer from oppo:
Unfortunately no. The player will not be able to access any streaming services. You will need to use a third party device like an AppleTV, Roku Box, or Amazon FireTV to access services not available to the player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, the Oppo answer may be taken as the most authorised and pertinent so far. I find however this answer strange, knowing that 105 model it was software updated not so long time ago, to give access to Tidal. Why this access does not apply anymore to the new model? It could be some (economical) divergences between Tidal and Oppo?
Personally, I`m not very interested in this field of streaming directly through an Oppo product, so I can not give more details at this moment. I presume I will have the 205 on two weeks, so I will take a look at this aspect too.
However, I think Oppo`s answer it clarify enough your question...

It could be some (economical) divergences between Tidal and Oppo?

Does the '203 you have not have Tidal like the 105? I am surprised if not.

Personally, I`m not very interested in this field of streaming directly through an Oppo product...

Re Tidal, I think that there is quite a bit of interest from a number of people down here.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here is my new model LPM compatible, equipped, and able to function on both 203 and 205 devices.

Attachments

• New LPM compatible for both 203-205b.jpg
    New LPM compatible for both 203-205b.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 716
Answer is yes. There are just some things we will not be 100% sure about until we get a physical sample to look and hopefully the issues you mention are being addressed. What is the introductory price being offered by retailers? My offsider Val Pazin has an account with InterDyn, so we will get one directly, hopefully soon. Probably Coris might get one before we do.

BTW, coming down to Melbourne, I will be doing the presentation at the Melbourne Audio Club on Wednesday 17th of May, only two weeks away. I will of course bring a 105 Level 4.2+ACB.

Hi joe,

won't be able to make it on the 17th of May, I've just gone off shore on a holiday.
They really need to address the disc reader issue. We are looking at around the $300-400 discount on the intro offer by some retailers...
I won't be an early adopter unless it is discounted further and the optical reader is resolved, it seems to me that there's way too many issues an you end up being a guinea pig.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Easy upgrade for the 203 existing power supply.

Increase the value of the 2 of X caps in the AC line filter - must be X2 caps for safety. I fitted 1 uf between the chokes and 2.2 uf before it.

The electrolytics in the power supply aren't great quality - even though their marked 105 C

I used 10, 000 or 5,000 hour 105 C Panasonics for all of the following:
Main input cap increased from 68 to 150 Uf
Left the 47uf cap as 47 uf , but went to 63V

The 15 volt supply uses 4 of 470uf / 35v caps - i changed to 3300uf/25v , but theres only 14.5 volts on them, you might use the 4700 uf/16 volt caps

The 12 volt supply uses 3 of 1000uf/16v caps. Changed them to 4700uf /16 V

I used .1uf /63v Wima films under the board to bypass each of the 15 and 12 volt caps.

The inductors:

Theres two 3.3 mh/2A which I changed to 100 mh and fit in the same spot.

Theres a .1 mh/6A which i changed to 1 mh, but had to glue it on the board nearby and run new leads back to the holes. The new parts are taller so a little silicon goop for mechanical stability is advised.

Worked perfectly, I'm sure the full linear power supply replacement is better, but for $30 this is an inexpensive upgrade. And the caps will last longer.

Check you parts choice diameters before ordering, the ones I choose were the largest that would fit.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Recently I had to open the drive of mine 105 unit. Hereby is how it looks inside...
There is for sure similar to the one inside 203/205 models. No any electronic inside, except only the servo circuits for the reading head. All the controls are made by external circuit/processor.
The tray and spindle motors are controlled by a dedicated chip, while the outputted raw data stream is processed into the main processor (103/105/105D models), and by a dedicated processor chip for the 203/205 models. This optical drive processor into the last player models it is clocked by the 25Mhz signal. So, the quality of this clock signal it have big impact over the quality of the both sound and picture play backed from discs.

Attachments

• Optical drive.jpg
    Optical drive.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 606
My 205 has arrived.
Looks like the advanced clocking is only for the audio HDMI out section according to OPPO.

Indeed, the SAW clocking is only for the HDMI. If it wasn't for a truck accident, I would have a '205 before me now.

For me, the big question is, what is under that 'four dots' module. Is that a single surface mount module that can be removed with a heat gun, or is it a 'shield' with components sitting underneath?

Attachments

• Oppo_205_Clock.jpg
    Oppo_205_Clock.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 592