Light mod Denon 3910..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to change the laser on my 3910,while the hood is off I might at well install the XO3 that I have laying around.And change some regulators to the LM317/337 type.But firts some questions,the supply to the XO3,I could take it from the +12v line,but the sonic result will be better with a separate trafo and rectifier,or?
I se that the opams in the analog output runs on + - 9v,those regulators can be upgraded.
Then I assume the digital part runns on +5V,but there are 2 different 5v supplys(Green on the schema,+ - 9v, red)which one of the 5v regulators to uppgrade,or both?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

XO3 clock in on XTI,remove C112,C118 and R127,right?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryssen,
I think you should look at the HF performance of the regulators. Bypassing the electrolytic caps might make a far better improvement than the basic regulator. This means leaving the regulators stock and bypassing may be better all around. Just don't get silly with the caps. Small box polyesters will be just fine.

I haven't looked at the regulator specs, but IC regulators generally have trouble at the higher frequencies.

-Chris

Yes,the ripple current is messaured at 120hz..And the only one of 7805,780-05 and LT317 that has a diagram of the ripple at different frekvensys is LT317,and it shows that the ripple rejection is down about 20dB at 20Khz compared to 120hz..Then I wonder how bad the 7805 that is the one in the player.
I have some PCB´s for a discrete regulator,maybe use them?
And I`am going to e-mail texas instruments for some more data on the
LM780-05.
Yes,I am going to bypass the electrolytic caps,thats my favorit.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryssen,
I don't know what the high frequency behavior is on these. Adding a choke and cap after these might be a good idea, and before. That reduces the importance of regulator performance at higher frequencies.

I have some PCB´s for a discrete regulator,maybe use them?
Possibly. There is a chance the performance might be worse than what is in there. Depends. As long as you don't cause damage to the PCB, go ahead and try them. Should be interesting to see what your results are. If you can, try to look at the supplies before and after.

-Chris

Adding a choke and cap after these might be a good idea, and before.
At least there is a C-L-C filter before all regulators.What value on the choke should i use after?The one before is 4,7uH.

put snubber on the power supply diode, or better change to fast "soft"recovery type
I´will do that.Thanks.
The e-lyts looks to be the cheapest type(non ESR)If I change them for
ESR types will it affect the PSU negaive in any way?(Switching PSU)
And just to be sure,if anyone is familiar with the schema,is it, "+5v_NSW" that is for the digital part?
The one marked +5v is probably for the rest,motors and stuff,I think.
:scratch:

The LM2940
seems pretty good on ripplerejektion,havent gotten any answer from texas yet.

"The e-lyts looks to be the cheapest type(non ESR)"

I guess you mean High ESR

"If I change them for
ESR types will it affect the PSU negaive in any way?(Switching PSU)"

and you would change the with low ESR types.

sometimes this can cause oscillation (bad) in switching PSU

Edit : if you want to change it, change the one after the choke, larger value is ok

Hartono

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,
It depends on the application and power supply design. Notice the progression since the diode thing started. Fast recovery now slow recovery. Standard rectifiers were designed by some very bright people. They are pretty good in a properly designed power supply.

Switching supplies require fast diodes. That's why we have the faster types of rectifier diodes.

-Chris

"It depends on the application and power supply design. Notice the progression since the diode thing started. Fast recovery now slow recovery. Standard rectifiers were designed by some very bright people. They are pretty good in a properly designed power supply."

make sense.

but wouldn't it better to use fast "soft" recovery than fast diode "fast" recovery in switching supply ?

Hartono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.