Light mod Denon 3910..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryssen,
Don´t realy know how much is a joke and reality..
I'm sorry. I was joking.

Many experimenters believe a more expensive part is better, only on the grounds that the part is more expensive. It seems to escape many people that you should match the part to the job at hand.

If it doesn't smoke, it sounds better! (joke)

I have a bunch of Byv26 in a box ,should I use them,I know I can but,any improvement with them?
Good question.
I don't know. I haven't look the part up to see the specs. If it's a regular rectifier diode it will probably perform the same as the original parts.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryssen,
Electrically, they shouldn't cause any problems. Just watch for noise on the raw supplies if you want to compare them.

Mechanically the leads may be too large and force you to enlarge the holes in the board. Not wise, especially if the board is double sided as they normally have plated through holes.

-Chris

Adding a choke and cap after these might be a good idea, and before. That reduces the importance of regulator performance at higher frequencies.
There is no choke directly after the regulators,but it seems to be one on every IC on the rest of the boards..
Is it a waste to use a choke and a C after the regulators then?..
C-L-C-L-C..... :rolleyes:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryssen,
There is no choke directly after the regulators,but it seems to be one on every IC on the rest of the boards..
I would say that it would be a wasted effort. I'm just trying to keep an open mind about this.

In my view, getting rid of any noise is best done at the source or close to the source. Everything else becomes much easier after that is done.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryssen,
Use you oscilloscope across the resistor. Make sure you "float" * your circuit or the scope, or heavy currents may flow through your 'scope and damage it.

The only other way to do this (to the best of my knowledge) would be to use a differential 'scope probe. Expensive.

-Chris

* Float. To remove the reference to ground so that all parts of your circuit are not referenced in any way to any fixed voltage. THis can be done with an isolation transformer. Beware that you do not connect anything to inputs or outputs.

* Float. To remove the reference to ground so that all parts of your circuit are not referenced in any way to any fixed voltage. THis can be done with an isolation transformer. Beware that you do not connect anything to inputs or outputs.
If i don´t use/have an isolation trafo,doest it work to disconnect the mains protection earth?

What about a measurement preamplifier like this:
http://www.tangentsoft.net/elec/lnmp/
Tried to buy a PCB on the site,but he says he is out of boards,and waiting for more interests before making new ones.It could take one year he says!!:bawling:
Unless anyone know of a similar amp?With pcb...

So I hocked up my scope,most sensetive,5mv-AC, to the +9v analog regulator on the PSU.And It locked like this:

After-1rts-reg-PSU-9v-anal.jpg

about 10-12mv I would say.10mv was the maximum input the measuring preamp at tangetsoft could take at input,it says at the site.:xeye:

And at the analog pcb,opamp it locked like this:

9v-analog-at-opamp-leg-8.jpg

The +5v supplys have a few mv lower.

If I want to measure ripple at the recitifier diods do I need to float the scope then?

Rectifier.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryssen,
One of those traces appeared to have some oscillation on it (last one before your schematic).

If I want to measure ripple at the recitifier diods do I need to float the scope then?
No, just AC couple it. Start at the higher range and reduce it once the input cap charges. Set your trigger source to "line".

-Chris

This is the numbers i got:
+9volt opamps 100mA ~14mv
-9volt opamps 300mA ~14mv
+5volt analog 75mA ~15mv
+5volt digital 2ma ~10mv

The 2mA on the 5volt digital seems a little low,but I checked it meny times,and a cd was playing..
Now on to find some suitable regulators.

I got those readings before I...tried to measure the rectifier...The house went DARK..the earthbreaker switched of,tried it once more,the fuse in 3910 blew.Checking the diods one is shorted,so I got a reason to start modding then.:xeye: Just hope the TOP245Y(PWM switch)did´nt blow...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.