Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

ecdesigns,
thank you for the information. I’m sorry to say that your approach is rather disappointing.

There has been an awful lot of talk about accurate clock signals to cure the timing, amplitude and resistance mismatches. However, in the massive presence of electromagnetic interference, (power supply, thermal, conversion, jitter, quantization, logic switching, truncation...) noise, chip defects and process irregularities, the target parameters such as jitter and glitch have a subtle touch of randomness, decreasing the feasibility of setting consistent reference levels.

It is of vital importance that the conversion occurs into a small amplitude signal. Unlike other designers, Philips did get it right. An increase in voltage and frequency is an increase in noise and distortion. A low output impedance increases the output level, the current spikes, the timing and code errors that depend on the rate of change of energy. The voltage swing of a differential DAC is twice as large as the reference voltage.

The clock signal produced by a clock generator is a resonant, energetic, transient oscillation with fast changing amplitudes, consuming plenty of bandwidth. Both sampling and quantization have a harmful effect on the signal.

I reject any manipulation of digital signal and an increased circuit complexity. A high sampling rate generates high-frequency noise and distortion, and demands a sharp analog filter. Your implementation creates more and bigger problems than it solves and degrades the TDA1541 which is not in need of this kind of trickery.
Importing disadvantageous industrial techniques to the audio field is, sadly, a widespread practice.

Just an update - I implemented the 50 Hz DEM clock without the 100 uf decoupling caps (on order), and I get significant noise that doesn't diminish even after 30 mins of operation, is this to be expected without the larger decoupling caps (I currently only have 0.1 uf ones installed).

Just an update - I implemented the 50 Hz DEM clock without the 100 uf decoupling caps (on order), and I get significant noise that doesn't diminish even after 30 mins of operation, is this to be expected without the larger decoupling caps (I currently only have 0.1 uf ones installed).
Hi aive
That noise is as expected without the 100u caps in place. The 50hz ripple is not being filtered out and is appearing at the output as the noise you are hearing.

I/V resistor value

no doubt this is obvious to all but me, but a re read of some earlier material on this thread caused me to reconsider I/V resistor value. I noticed John's earlier references to sub 30r resistor values so I replaced 60r value with 30r on a single 1541a setup using simple resistor I/V into a tube buffer.
Two positive outcomes. Eliminated some harshness which I assume was distortion. Also attenuated the output volume by an estimated 9db (three clicks on my linestage). My system had too much gain. High compression tracks were loud even at minimum volume. Now everything sounds natural and at a more useful volume.
Thanks as always for the encyclopedia of useful material here.

no doubt this is obvious to all but me, but a re read of some earlier material on this thread caused me to reconsider I/V resistor value. I noticed John's earlier references to sub 30r resistor values so I replaced 60r value with 30r on a single 1541a setup using simple resistor I/V into a tube buffer.
Two positive outcomes. Eliminated some harshness which I assume was distortion. Also attenuated the output volume by an estimated 9db (three clicks on my linestage). My system had too much gain. High compression tracks were loud even at minimum volume. Now everything sounds natural and at a more useful volume.
Thanks as always for the encyclopedia of useful material here.

In my TDA1543 DAC the effect of the quality of the I/V resistor on the final sound cannot be overemphasized...I use DIY honeycomb with manganin, as per John's invention.

You may try different R and listen for differences. Maybe John can advise as good quality ones are expensive and I do not have experience with the TDA1541.

Cheers,
M.

In my TDA1543 DAC the effect of the quality of the I/V resistor on the final sound cannot be overemphasized...I use DIY honeycomb with manganin, as per John's invention.

You may try different R and listen for differences. Maybe John can advise as good quality ones are expensive and I do not have experience with the TDA1541.

Cheers,
M.
Thanks Max. Same and more on the 1541a. I wind my own with manganin. Nothing else compares. I started with metal film; then carbon; the audio note vintage tantalum stuff; amtrans(dreadful); Caddok TF-USF (quite good)…
Then made my own... night and day difference. Also used them in the tube output stage. Similar benefit.
Walter

Thanks Max. Same and more on the 1541a. I wind my own with manganin. Nothing else compares. I started with metal film; then carbon; the audio note vintage tantalum stuff; amtrans(dreadful); Caddok TF-USF (quite good)…
Then made my own... night and day difference. Also used them in the tube output stage. Similar benefit.
Walter

Great! :cool:
DIY means do it Yourself, right? ;)

Now I want to try them on my experimental amplifier's cascoded-VAS section.

Best wishes,
M