freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

It is currently very unclear. AKM does not tell anything when the ADC/DACs are available again after the factory fire.
Although I have already made a new design with other ADC/DACs now the XMOS chip for the USB interface has a long delivery time (July 2022). I think this is a result of the global IC crisis.
So another replacement is needed, which is not so easy like for the ADC/DACs.

Last edited:
It is currently very unclear. AKM does not tell anything when the ADC/DACs are available again after the factory fire.
Although I have already made a new design with other ADC/DACs now the XMOS chip for the USB interface has a long delivery time (July 2022). I think this is a result of the global IC crisis.

Isn't the XUF216-512-TQ128 part available from Digikey pin compatible with the XE216-512-TQ128? It is though more expensive and doesn't have the RGMII (gigabit ethernet) and it's got an internal flash.

Wishlist for revised Aurora

If I understand the situation with component shortage correctly, a revised version might be in the loop. If so, may I suggest that the product is expanded with DIGITAL multichannel outputs, i.e. 8x i2s, allowing for use of other DACs. (Audiophiles have their own DAC of preference). And in the same fashion, expand with multichannel digital inputs: Imagine e.g. a recording studio with multimic setups, allowing for use of their own mic preamp/adc systems, and using Aurora to finetune the premises. And as another option, allow 3party USB multichannel devices as input.

A more flexible interface along these lines will create (even) more interest for Aurora.

Isn't the XUF216-512-TQ128 part available from Digikey pin compatible with the XE216-512-TQ128? It is though more expensive and doesn't have the RGMII (gigabit ethernet) and it's got an internal flash.

Thank you for this hint. I now had some time to check it and it seems to be compatible. The RGMII is not needed for Aurora and the internal flash leads to a BOM cost reduction.
So I can continue with a redesign. Well, I can tell already a few things: The new design will use ESS chips for AD and DA conversion. Instead of WiFi it will use Ethernet and it will have some standard connectors like Cinch, Toslink, USB, RJ45 already on the board. For expansion the Add-Ons can still be connected.
Some of you may have seen it already, I am currently preparing a new software release. This has priority in the coming days and after that the hardware redesign will be completed.

1. Anyone knows if one kan link bands in the software when toggle for the right joint?

2. And how long is the preset load? (DCX2496 is 2sec, miniSHARC is 6sec).

Attachments

• freedsp.jpg
    freedsp.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
[...]
Some of you may have seen it already, I am currently preparing a new software release. This has priority in the coming days and after that the hardware redesign will be completed.

Could I request, in the same vein as the 4x4096 tap FIR plugin, a 4x2048 tap plugin? That way I could run at 96 kHz and have relatively relaxed anti-alias filters. No biggie either way, although if you do go to ESS I might sell a pair of AKM versions at a very nice price :D

Last edited:
Thank you for this hint. I now had some time to check it and it seems to be compatible. The RGMII is not needed for Aurora and the internal flash leads to a BOM cost reduction.
So I can continue with a redesign. Well, I can tell already a few things: The new design will use ESS chips for AD and DA conversion. Instead of WiFi it will use Ethernet and it will have some standard connectors like Cinch, Toslink, USB, RJ45 already on the board. For expansion the Add-Ons can still be connected.

Hello. Would be possible to use 48Db/oct filters as well with the new version under development?

Many thanks.

Maurizio

I finally got the board assembled couple of weeks back. It was difficult sourcing all the parts but got there in the end..

Anyway I'm working on implementing 4-way active speaker crossover + room correction with the freedsp aurora board. Crossover is made with IIR filters (based on LX521.4 minidsp filters) and room correction would be combination of IIR + FIR. I would also use FIR to unwrap the overall phase.

I took the 8-channel plugin as a starting point, changed input to 2ch and simplified the overall filter structure and add two FIR filters (left/right channels). The filters in the 8-ch plugin didn't quite suit my needs so at the end it was changed quite a bit in SigmaStudio (high/low shelfs were not like in minidsp). I got it to fit the memory etc. so I don't see problems from that point of view.

In the SigmaStudio design there are filters that I like to stay fixed (basically the 4-way crossover part), I don't need control for them on the webapp. I only need control for the parametric EQ + FIR for room correction (and there is already example plugins with these, so should be straightforward). I know how to compile the .fw file and .ini files from the sigmadesign files for new plugin, and the html edit should not be a problem.

Now I started wondering, since these fixed filters in my design don't need any control in the web app, where the default values for these filters actually come from? Are the default values for the filters part of the .fw file? Or do I need to add them to the web app, maybe modify the plugin.cpp and plugin.h, and what else? Are there instructions on generating new plugins somewhere? Especially adding new type of filters.

I guess one way to go would be going for SigmaStudio based control altogether (solder the EEPROM on the board etc), but I like the easy control over wifi/web page rather than SigmaStudio through USB.

Thanks!

I have been going through the files/sources and trying to figure out how everything works, especially related to developing custom plugins. I used the lowshelf filter in 8channel plugin as an example and tried to follow how everything works together. I'm not a SW engineer, so bare with me..

dsp.html
- uses aurora.js
- button class shlv, defined in dark.css
- button click calls openLShelv
- div lowShelv, div class d_shlv, defined in dark.css
- gets values for ls_vm ls_fc, ls_s
- sends lshelv parameters when pressing SEND button

dark.css
- definition for colors etc for the buttons

aurora.js
- function openLShelv
- gets elements ls_v=gain, ls_fc=fc, ls_s=slope, ls_bypass=bypass

web.cpp
- jsonResponse gain, fc, slope, bypass.
- paramLshelv defined in plugin.html
- bypass sets the red line below the block in dsp.html
- value of gain shown in the block in dsp.html

plugin.cpp
- reads plugin.ini
- numLshelvs, value for this from plugin.ini (nlshelv)
- paramLshelv[ii].addr, addresses from plugin.ini
- inits the user values, gain, fc, slope, bypass

plugin.h
- structure tShelving with addr, gain, fc, slope, bypass
- paramLshelv definition

AudioFilterFactory.cpp
- makeLowShelv, defines IIR parameters that are used in the SigmaStudio block (a1, a2, b0, b1, b2)

AudioFilterFactory.h
- definition for makeShelv

adau1452.cpp
- calls AudioFilterFactory makeLowShelv
- converts float values to correct format to be sent to adau1452

plugin.ini
- has addresses and number of filters + inputs/outputs
- Aurora Tool picks up addresses from SigmaStudio .params file automatically

chnames.txt
- only in the develop folder, not used for anything? Has input/output channel names

Sigmastudio files
- NumBytes_IC_1.dat
- TxBuffer_IC_1.dat
- These two used for the dsp.fw (either with sigma2aurora (requires QT) or with Aurora Tool (requires perl))
- 8channels.params has parameters, addresses etc. for the filters. Not sure are the default parameters set in SigmaStudio transferred to the aurora at all?

Here is also link to SigmaStudio diagram showing what I'm trying to accomplish. Basically in the web GUI I don't need the 4-way crossover filters (8ch) I only need two FIR filters and two parametric EQs (left and right).

Capture.PNG - Google Drive

So the question really is how to set the default parameters to the crossover IIR filters? I don't need/want to configure them in the web GUI.