The Best DAC is no DAC

Hi,
I have the amanero usb to i2s, and can work with dsd, how is the most simple to play dsd directly from it to drive the low impedance oHeadphone/earphone?
Thanks

You'll need some sort of headphone amplifier as there will be insufficient drive from the DSD signal alone. Bear in mind that the signal level from a direct DSD playback device will be low compared with normal line level.

Just to explain a little further, Jedy was correct in his observation about my erroneous schematic, which is why I checked. With a Cf of 2700pF the -3dB point would have been at around 19K Hz.

The corrected schematic, with Cf of 1000pF has a -3dB point at around 48KHz

Of course, you can choose your own filter parameters/component values.

Apologies again for the error.

Ray

The last few posts made me recheck and I noticed an error in the schematic I posted; it had the wrong value for the filter cap. Here is a corrected schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Apologies for the error and any confusion caused.

Ray

Last edited:
capacitors for high ...

The last few posts made me recheck and I noticed an error in the schematic I posted; it had the wrong value for the filter cap. Here is a corrected schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Apologies for the error and any confusion caused.

Ray
Dear Mr. NAUTIBUOY,

for a greater definition audio, you can increase the two capacitors from 1000 pF of your filter and for recover the loss of frequencies in high range, you can increase the capacitors from 1500 pF of my preamplifier.
You can see the linearity with instruments or listening with your ears for get the musicality that desires.
I desire to say to you that almost always the pentode with connection to triode offers a superior musical reality, because have more harmonic superior and inferior (from grid n°2 with connection to anode).
I hope that this preamplifier to satisfy an experienced audio as you.
I'm sorry to forget the electric scheme of filaments !
I send this electric scheme afternoon today.
Have to nice day.

P.S. becouse you utilize, in your filter, resistors from 47K ?
if you utilize resistors from 100K or 200 K, you can decrease the capacitors from 22 uF and get greater definition from the passive filter R/C.

JEDY

Hi,
I have the amanero usb to i2s, and can work with dsd, how is the most simple to play dsd directly from it to drive the low impedance oHeadphone/earphone?
Thanks
Apply isolator board/lowpass filter between amanero and headphoneamp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 856
Updating Valve Preamplifier

Dear Mr. NAUTIBUOY,

I'M SORRY for all.
I give this my special preamplifier with EL86 for your DSD DAC.
I with this preamplifier win a lot of competitions of HI END CAR (of special quality).
I adore the sound of 6H30, but the EL86 offer best musicality.
I make to you this my personal gift for your constant work and good result.
Sincere compliments for all and good continue work.

JEDI

Dear Mr. NAUTIBUOY,

in my preamplifier... the tension of anode arrives to + 295Vcc in about 2 minutes.
This increases a lot the duration of life of the EL86.
I prefer the EL86 VALVO because offer musicality more natural, real and "hot".
The other EL86 (Siemens, Philips, Mazda, etc...) have musicality cold and slow.
You utilize a small heat sink for mosfet M1.
You utilize a transformer with primary 0 - 230 Vca, a secondary of 0 - 234 Vca and another secondary of 0 - 8 Vca for the filaments.
Transform the tension of 0 - 8 Vca in continuous and stabilize to + 6.3 Vcc for the filaments.
The tension of filaments filtered and correctly stabilized to allows of get a high S/N.
I later send to you the electric scheme for filaments.
Thanks and All the Best,

JEDY

Electric Scheme of Power Supply for Filamants of EL86

Dear Mr. NAUTIBUOY,

in my preamplifier... the tension of anode arrives to + 295Vcc in about 2 minutes.
This increases a lot the duration of life of the EL86.
I prefer the EL86 VALVO because offer musicality more natural, real and "hot".
The other EL86 (Siemens, Philips, Mazda, etc...) have musicality cold and slow.
You utilize a small heat sink for mosfet M1.
You utilize a transformer with primary 0 - 230 Vca, a secondary of 0 - 234 Vca and another secondary of 0 - 8 Vca for the filaments.
Transform the tension of 0 - 8 Vca in continuous and stabilize to + 6.3 Vcc for the filaments.
The tension of filaments filtered and correctly stabilized to allows of get a high S/N.
I later send to you the electric scheme for filaments.
Thanks and All the Best,

JEDY

Attachments

• STABILIZER for Filaments of EL86 for DSD DAC.JPG
    STABILIZER for Filaments of EL86 for DSD DAC.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 879
JEDY 4 Way Preamplifier with EL86 VALVO for DSD DAC

Dear Mr. NAUTIBUOY,

is very very important !!!
You separate the tension of +6.3 Vcc and his GND from the other tensions and GND of all the project !!!
I'm SORRY for all my "English error" :<(
Thanks and All the Best,

JEDY

Dear Mr. NAUTIBUOY,

this is the 4 Way Preamplifier with EL86 VALVO.
I utilize this Preamplifier in important car audio audio demonstrations and with great success.
This Preamplifier have linearity from 10Hz to 150Khz with +/- 0.1 dB.
The DC/DC converter utilize the power supply that you see in this page ... with IRF840.
This sistem to make arrive to life of over 20000 hours of utilize.
Have a Nice Day to you and All your Dears,

JEDY

Attachments

• MIRCO CASONI 4 Way Preamplifer with EL86 VALVO for DSD DAC.jpg
    MIRCO CASONI 4 Way Preamplifer with EL86 VALVO for DSD DAC.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 837
  • MIRCO CASONI  4 Way Preamplifier with EL86 VALVO for DSD DAC.jpg
    MIRCO CASONI 4 Way Preamplifier with EL86 VALVO for DSD DAC.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 416
All the parts are arrived. I tested today the dedicated power supplies for the amanero board and isolator and it works great. No noise, humm or other sounds. Noise level is below -100db( that is the limit of my measure equipment ). So it is time to build everything together. I have now ready the USB to DSD board, tube headphone/output amp, volume and muting controll and a nice housing.

Summary:

- Amanero USB to DSD with dedicated tps7a4700 power supply.
- Isolator ISO7640fm with dedicated tps7a4700 power supply.
- 4th order lowpass LCLC filter.
- Coppling capacitor.
- ALPS volume control.
- 6n6p tube headphone/output amp.
- Relais muting circuit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Thanks Martin.

Jambul, i can not answer your question because your message box is full.
But my answer is also interresting for other people.

Below a summary of the cost of the

Amanero board- €85,-
Isolator board and parts- €10,-
2 x tps7a4700 power supply, pcb and parts- €60,-
lowpass filter- €10,-

So for the basic setup capable of driving a preamp. Vout is 3,7Vrms. The cost are €165 without housing.

You are free to use any headamp and/or housing.

I build,
6n6p headamp,pcb and transformer - €80
Alps volume control and muting board - €30
Housing from ebay - €125

So my total of cost is €400,-.

There is a good alternative as headamp, the wire design. Or as i have written about in thread " just for fun".

Just my two cents..looks like you totally know what you are doing... but.. I take it you are planning to put that Alps pot in the signal path. To my ears they sound muffled and dull. I would say a little bit more money spend here, would make a big difference..

Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Hello Stijn,

In the past i have tested a lot of volume control possebillities. I never heard a big difference between the passive controls. Important is the right implementation.

Ronny

hi nautibuoy,

thank you for the reference. yes jlsound has a good board, mostly if you want to go nos on multibit dac.

but i already own the amanero. and want to make use of it for my head/earphone

by the way is there any schematic for the filter? is any 1st order rc will do the job?

many thanks in advance

JRIVER ...

Hi Jedy, thanks for all your suggestion. The Saragon software seems pretty expensive, I believe JRiver does a similair job. Do you know if we can get a trial version of Saragon?

Hi Mr. STIJN001,

nice to meet you.
JRIVER is very different and doesn't convert many formats, for example from PCM to DSD and you cannot modify the High Definition Audio.
Many thanks for your good information.
Thanks and All the Best,

JEDY