Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2019, 11:42 PM   #1901
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsidxxl View Post
Thank you Andréa for the report,what is the supply voltage of the new oscillator,always 6 Volt and 3Volt?
Not yet defined, it's a prototype to be tested and refined.
It's a different design with different power supply, maybe batteries powered.
Old 14th December 2019, 12:47 AM   #1902
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
This is the first measurement of the new oscillator prototype with the Laptech SC 3rd overtone crystal at 5.6448 MHz.

The plot compares the phase noise performance of the new oscillator (green plot) against the Crystek CCHD-957 at 22.5792 MHz (blue plot) and a custom made OCXO from HCD at 11.2896 MHz (pink plot).

The Crystek was powered by Lifepo4 battery supply, while the other 2 oscillators was powered by standard regulators (this explains the spurs in the plot).

There is still improvement margin, since the power supply is not the best (to be measured with Lifepo4 batteries), it was measured on the fly in air without any shielding box, there isn't an oven.

Hope this was a Christmas gift.

Andrea
Pretty amazing spec. Well done!

TCD
Old 14th December 2019, 03:17 PM   #1903
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks great. Now I can look forward to buying a Laptech SC 3rd overtone crystal at 5.6448 MHz and putting it into service in 2020. I hope you will do another group buy for the 5.6MHz oscillator.
Old 14th December 2019, 03:32 PM   #1904
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

At clsidxxl, You meant best to use LiPoFe without reg (while not stable volttage value but lowest noise) ?

My experience with Christeq is i have better result with ldo and c cors traffos than LiPo with the best low noise low ppsr LDOs... sonically speaking..

Hey thanks Andrea, nice picture...
Old 14th December 2019, 07:07 PM   #1905
gabor80 is offline gabor80  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Beautiful measures, Andrea. Much better than the AT-cut results at the first page of the topic.
Old 14th December 2019, 07:25 PM   #1906
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry to toss some cold water on the measurements but ÷2 in frequency and phase noise drops by 6 dab so making comparisons with widely different frequencies can be misleading. The 5 MHz seems the sweet spot for OXCOs but it needs to be multiplied to be useful. So you need to figure out multipliers or dividers. The Crystek divided may look much better.
Old 14th December 2019, 07:48 PM   #1907
mr_whocares is offline mr_whocares  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
battery powered? integrated battery design? :-)
super! me gusta la bateria ;-)
Old 14th December 2019, 07:52 PM   #1908
clsidxxl is offline clsidxxl  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Andrea,you should consider the Supercapacitor power supply,some like 5Volt,it could be done with the UcConditioner of Ian.

diyiggy,i use the SC Cut of Andrea,this one must be feed by 2 different voltage,3,3V and 6V,for the slicer at 3,3V i alternately used 1 Lifpo4 and LT3045 of LDOVR,I did not hear any difference between the two, at least it was not obvious,
I'm waiting for the new design of Andrea,I want to try the Supercap power supply.

Ad Astra 'long course pilot,they look good in their skin.
Old 14th December 2019, 07:59 PM   #1909
Joseph K is offline Joseph K  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Andrea, nice result.
May I ask, where did You get access to a Timepod?
What is used as reference?

And it's true that the Crystek looks worse than it really is, because of the frequency.

One should subtract 12dB fron the Crystek values as shown in the graph.
Now the difference is 40dB at 1Hz. After subtraction that will be 'only' 28dB difference, at 1Hz. 😅😆😀

Ciao, George
Old 15th December 2019, 12:22 AM   #1910
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

For reference below you can find a comparative table with the best OCXO on the market. The top performers in the range are the Oscilloquartz BVA 8607 and the Wenzel ULN, that means many thousands dollars to get one of these (no chance to get a frequency suitable for digital audio).

I also attach the phase noise plot of the two top performers. As you can see at 10 Hz from the carrier the phase noise performance of the prototype oscillator is very close to the performance of the best oscillators on the market.
The top performers are better at 1 Hz from the carrier, but as I said in a previous post I think there is still improvement margin by shielding the new oscillator and by feeding it with a better power supply.

It's true that the Crystek is a 22.2792 Mhz oscillator, so you have to divide it by 4 to do a better comparison, and theoretically its phase noise will improve 12dBc, but in the real world I'm not sure you really get 12dBc better phase noise performance. Anyway, assuming 12dBc better, the phase noise difference is 'only' 36 dBc (148.7 - 112).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OCXO_Comparative_Table.jpg (319.4 KB, 532 views)
File Type: png Oscilloquartz_bva_8607_phase_noise_1.png (16.9 KB, 552 views)
File Type: png Wenzel_uln-10MHz-5MHz.png (22.6 KB, 533 views)

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!