Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

My DAC for the Raspberry Pi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2013, 12:07 PM   #21
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usul27 View Post
@smallangryboy: There are 2 eval boards of the prototype, these are already reserved for 2 guys. There might be another 2 eval boards of version 2. The phono sockets will be parts of the kist, however, you do not have to solder them on the board.

@Turbon: This is not a USB DAC, it connects directly to the I2S port of the SoC.
Ok, rephrase - so we have a solution to get good sound outta the PI? I want one! Sign me up and let me see the bill!

Brgds
Old 24th October 2013, 01:22 PM   #22
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Any idea what the - 60 dB distortion is ? It seldom is better than 4% . I have been trying to devise a test for this . Perhaps record via an excellent CD burner like TEAC at - 60 db and use it for comparison tests . It should mean something to test the whole chain . An early Denon test disc was of a piano at 0 db - 20 dB and - 40 dB . Doubtless the disc as much as anything at fault . 0 db ( seldom used ) strong and clear . - 20 dB simlar but bleached out detail . - 40 dB like a Kazoo . Denon said construct an attenuator to test at identical levels . I did and didn't have to . From that I conclude pre 1990 CD had a real dynamic range of 20 db at best . Worse still is engineers were told not to go into the 0 to - 20 d range . To an extent dither added 20 dB to that ( 30 % THD became 3 % with dither ) . 4 % THD espeailly if not the higher harmonics at - 60 dB would be excellent . As someone recently said , analog recording fades to noise . Digital if dithered does also . If not one has to ask extra questions as noise is a full register of harmonics if white noise , 7 th and 9 th harmonics are not a great replacement no matter how small . One 24 bit chips maker said " no need for dither " . I wonder ?

Proof that - 20 db was typical is the input sensitive of tape deck inputs works fine with CD . In principle it is about 15 dB too high . Even knowing tape decks peak at + 6 dB doesn't account for it all . Build to the 2 v spec and CD will be too quiet . Not true of a pick up amp built with 6 dB spare gain . It is obviously loud .

Last edited by nigel pearson; 24th October 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 24th October 2013, 01:33 PM   #23
usul27 is offline usul27  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Nigel, there is no -60db distortion. The D2 peaks is at about -90db.
Old 24th October 2013, 02:00 PM   #24
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's great to know . I will do the chain one day as like vinyl one needs benchmarks . I said to a German guy . " Why do we insist on getting RIAA correct to 0.05 dB when the pick up might be + 7 dB 14 kHz " ? " We get right what we can " was his answer . It sounds right but is mathematical nonsense . The big picture often brings surprises . Doing the detailed study says sometimes why despite evidence one thing sounds different in a way where 0.05dB could not matter . Worse still if 0.03 dB becomes a quest . I get people tell me the NE 5532 is a rubbish op amp . It can be and often is . It is a great op amp with a few problems that need considering . It can go unstable due mostly because it is a high current device . Put in an OP 2604 will often sound better . The reason is it is more tolerant . DAC's might almost be op amps when saying this .
Old 28th October 2013, 01:46 PM   #25
rezbit is offline rezbit  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Any possibility of just SPDIF output, without DAC? I'm most certainly interested in this but since I already have DAC that I like, some mean of hooking my raspberry to it would be perfect.
Old 30th October 2013, 07:18 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I'm also working on SP/DIF out. However this will be a completely different device. It will be more complex than the DAC. You will find more information about it here: http://www.crazy-audio.com/projects/hifiberry-digi/. Note that it is still in the design phase. I hope to get the prototype running this year, but the device will not be available before 2014.
Old 31st October 2013, 07:41 AM   #27
kalinowski is offline kalinowski  France
diyAudio Member

This is a great project! I'll be interested in a prototype pcb if you decide to make them available
Old 2nd November 2013, 05:27 PM   #28
BRN is offline BRN  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm really interested in this DAC. What music server/player are you using with it?
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:00 PM   #29
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

hi,

just stopping by to say that i like what you do and your website.

if i were a computer engineer, i d be all over the Pi. What is not to like from such a tiny cheap computer?

Really cool that you successfully tapped from the I2s for the HifiBerry. Makes me want to buy a Pi, upgrade the regulators and try it with my upcoming 1794 dac just to see what quality it outputs...maybe it could replace my hiface,who knows!

keep up the good work!
Old 4th November 2013, 06:07 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

@BRN: I'm using it with RaspyFi, but it should work with every player software.

My DAC for the Raspberry PiHide this!Advertise here!