A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Hi, it is my first message here.
I read lot of the 495 pages but not all of them, so my apologies if my question has been already posted :)

I’d like to assembly a 1794 ddac, but before all I would have have info:

1) Is it possible to assembly one dac module and in a second time to add a second one? Or it is mandatory to assembly two in one unique step?
2) In term of sound quality, is there lot of difference between one and two dac modules?
3) I’d like to connect my raspberry to ddac using I2s connection. Does it work?

Thanks for your help

1) you can keep adding boards without any problem ....
2) looking at the number of DIY who keeps adding, I would say yes ;-)
3) yes, i know of enough people who did this. Not sure which version to make sure 192kHz works seamlessly

have fun with the DAC !
Doede

Thanks for your answer Doede.

considering that I will connect Rapsberry to main board via I2s, theoretically I do need usb input nor 5V power supply. Is it correct?

Hi guys, first post on the forums. Up to this point, have only done DIY audio projects such as power cords, interconnects, powerbars, etc. I'm very experienced with soldering, but not with circuit design, such as many in this thread. I've been looking around at new DAC's, this one has caught my eye. I'm currently reading the thread, up to ~ page 400 but have some questions.

I'm using a Simaudio 180Mind streamer as may source & basically all my digital audio is uncompressed FLAC 16/44. The 180Mind has a SPDIF connection (no USB), it seems most on here are using USB & the SPDIF connection might not be as good, is this the case? How well would this DAC work with 16/44 source material over SPDIF?

Is it possible to have additional inputs ontop of the signle SPDIF & USB options? Ideally a couple SPDIF as well as USB & possibly toslink would be ideal. My streamer also has an AES/EBU connection (which is said to be its best output), is it possible to add a AES/EBU connection to this DAC?

I don't know much about DAC design details but I believe this is still a delta sigma designed DAC & not an R2R/Multibit?

So far, I've read lots of positive info in this thread but not a lot of info comparing it to other DACS. What have people compared this too? To me, rave reviews don't mean much if the only other DACS you've used before this were commercial DACs that are half the price. Looks like, by the time you "mod" this DAC, your in the range of many popular DACs (new or used prices) such as NAD M51, Chord Hugo, Bryston BDA-2, Simaudio 300 V2/280D etc. Would this DAC be considered superior to these? I'm quite interested in the Metrum line of NOS DAC's, has anyone compared this to the Hex?

Currently I'm using a TeddyPardo DAC (~$1500 USD) & its been a great DAC but I'd like to move "up".

Hi Daren, Starting off with SPDIF is fine, especially if you play FLAC 16/44 and not plan to upsample. It limits you in tweaking the source. But it’s a limitation you impose on yourselve regardless of the DAC you might chose. At least with the DDDAC you can try to bolt on other inputs later. I’ve not seen anybody use a AES/EBU input. As comparing the DDDAC to others, its al highly subjective. The thing with this design is that’s its highly tweakable, which means you can tailor it to you taste and system, but the outcome depends heavily on time you can invest and willingness to experiment/learn. I’ve compared the DDDAC with a few dacs and the Metrum HEX I liked a lot (out of the box). But the Chord Hugo for example, was not for me.

I am building a DAC based on the DSD1794 (to get digital attenuation for volume control) by following the TI application notes and I came across your project which looks very impressive.

In my configuration workflow, Hirez audio data is read from SD card, Digital Room Correction http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/ is applied, then FIR filters for crossovers before going to DAC.

I’m not familiar with NOS versus OS but I understand as you stated, that your design permits to avoid the digital filtering. Since there is a lot of DSP In the above configuration, do you think there will be sonic benefits to try your method there as well ?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 463
Any experiences with the DDDAC + Odroid C1+?

Hi,
The I2S capabilities of the DDDAC allow a lot of mini computers such as the Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone Black etc. to be connected. A newcomer in this area seems to be the Odroid C1+ which has quite impressive specs (faster CPU, Gigabit Ethernet, RTC etc.) and is about the same price as the RPi.

I did not yet have time to connect it, however, I did some measurements of the I2S signal - and I'd say the results look quite promising:

Comparing the I2S Capabilities of the RPi and Odroid C1+ | Himmelbauer IT Blog

Any ideas / comments? I wonder if anyone already put the C1+ into action with the DDDAC?

Best Regards,
Hermann

I wonder if anyone already put the C1+ into action with the DDDAC?

..[/QUOT]

Most RPI implementation I've seen (in combination with the DDDAC) use a reclocker.

Btw. - do you know if anybody uses Ians reclocker for this task? I tried to use the Acko S03 reclocker with the RPi, but this actually increased jitter which I did not really find useful.

Best Regards,
Hermann

Did anybody directly compare mini computers (Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone Black, C1+ etc.) and USB Solutions (WaveIO / Amanero / JL Sounds etc..) connected to DDDAC ... conclusion ?

If you search the forum you will find quite some comparisons in this area. However, AFAIK there was no clear agreement which is better.

Regarding mini-computers and jitter, the best option currently seems to be the BBB with a specific reclocking board that switches between two base frequencies. However, I never saw any measurements that proof that the jitter really was improved.

My personal opinion is that the best could be a really good reclocker - maybe Ians reclocker - whereas the I2S source may not change a lot in the end.

Best Regards,
Hermann

If you search the forum you will find quite some comparisons in this area. However, AFAIK there was no clear agreement which is better.

Regarding mini-computers and jitter, the best option currently seems to be the BBB with a specific reclocking board that switches between two base frequencies. However, I never saw any measurements that proof that the jitter really was improved.

My personal opinion is that the best could be a really good reclocker - maybe Ians reclocker - whereas the I2S source may not change a lot in the end.

Best Regards,
Hermann

Hi, thanks for your summaraizes. You are right, Ians reclocker / FIFO may be one of the best solutions - to that effect to economize a lot of possibilities from Music File to I2S Signal ...