Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2014, 09:36 AM   #1461
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Indeed very nice!
Old 5th April 2014, 09:47 AM   #1462
G600 is offline G600  France
diyAudio Member

What is the strategy for the screen drilling ?

Is it mounted behind the 10mm panel, or is the panel reduced around the screen's window ?
Is there a protection to mount before the screen ?

If somebody is interested in a custom transformer for both 5V and 12V (drop in replacement on Doede's power boards), PM me : I have one piece not exactly to my needs and it'll be cheap (for 230V countries).
Old 5th April 2014, 10:15 AM   #1463
SimonJ is offline SimonJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Using LCD display to show status of input selected, and for USB input will display music playing the sample rate ;-)

It is mounted directly on the back of the panel and it fitted in those pictures. Panel thickness is not reduced, I will post more pics with it powered up once done
Old 5th April 2014, 10:18 AM   #1464
G600 is offline G600  France
diyAudio Member

OK.

I thought that a screen behind 10mm of metal won't be "visible".
I'm also planning to use an OLED display with my DDDAC
Old 5th April 2014, 12:11 PM   #1465
SimonJ is offline SimonJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I feel it will be visible and good enough to get the data I need, soon see!
Old 5th April 2014, 12:44 PM   #1466
rovinggecko is offline rovinggecko  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Nice case examples! Had missed the trick to lower the standoffs so it fits an 80mm case. Much nicer this way!

Also like the idea of both rca and balanced outs, nicely future proof.
Old 5th April 2014, 01:19 PM   #1467
ACvB is offline ACvB
diyAudio Member

It's for the four decks-dac, the innerside of this case is 80 mm, when you use the standoffs, delivered with, the dac is 90 mm high. It's off course also possible to buy a bigger case or use less decks.
Old 6th April 2014, 01:11 PM   #1468
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Testing of different DDDAC 1794 designs

Hi,

Yesterday we had a meeting for a comparison of different DDDAC’s at Klaus his system in Lindlar (near Cologne) in Germany.

It was an international gathering of audio enthusiasts from Germany, Great Britain and The Netherlands: Rheinhard (rhlauranna), Klaus, James (dwjames), Ian, Hans (owner of: http://www.musicalaffairs.com/), Cees “the Guru” Pel (from Pel Audio), and me.

We had some nice discussions on audio and have enjoyed listening to Klaus his nice system with the different dacs.

Dacs we listened to:
1) Klaus’s Standard Single board DDDAC1794 with 2,2uf Mundorf single ended outputs with Bernt’s big power supply
2) Rheinhards Standard 4 board DDDAC1794 with 2,2uf Mundorf single ended outputs with Bernt’s big power supply
3) James's single board DDDAC1794 with Tent Shunts, 2,2uf standard caps single ended output, standard IV resistors, and modified Doede power supplies as can be seen a few pages back in this thread.
4) James's single board DDDAC1794, direct balanced output.
5) Stefans 4 board DDDAC1794 with local Tent Shunts, Salas shunt power supplies, single ended output with Audio Note (Jensen) copper in foil capacitor of 0,22uf.
6) Stefans 4 board DDDAC1794 with local Tent Shunts, Salas shunt power supplies, balanced output.
7) Stefans 4 board DDDAC1794 with local Tent Shunts, Bernts big power supply, balanced output.

The source was a win PC with Foobar running with Wasapi output to the Wave IO of all dacs.

If I were to select a winner I would say setup 7 sounds best on Klaus his system. This gave the most detail, openness and compactness of the instrumens/voices of all dacs. And the power supply of Bernt brings more weight to the lows and lower mid frequencies that balances nice with Klaus his system. In my home set I would prefer the Salas power supply; this not a quality difference but a sound balance difference we are talking about; both supplies have their merits.

You can also nicely hear the differences between the 1 and 4 board standard dacs, where the latter sounds best.

The surprise of the day was number 4, James his Dac with direct balanced out. This was a nice 2nd place behind number 7. It had most of the openness and detail of 7 and I found it sounding clearly better than the standard 1 and 4 board units. If James changes the I/V resistors to some nice Tantalums than it would be the best dac price wize! Also the changes James has made in the power supply pays off here; well-done James!

During and after dinner we also tried the Raspberry Pi, with connected HDD (through a powered USB hub), through Wave IO and also with the direct I2S output on setup 7. Pi was powered with a linear supply from Tent Labs.
I found the Raspberry Pi through Wave IO nicer than the Win PC.

Switching to I2S direct was also a surprise for all, this was in my opinion the best sounding configuration!

That makes you wonder: the Pi has a crappy clock and the Pi generates the needed frequency itself. The Pi cannot even generate the exact frequency of 44.1Khz (the onboard clock is 19.2MHz so the closest division will be 192Mhz/435=44.137Khz) Also the ground of the Pi will be messy and this is directly coupled with the dac (I think the advantage of going balanced shows here, the ground noise will then be balanced out).
So what is going on here? I presume the Wave IO interface, although it is very good, also introduces jitter due to all the extra handling of the data; first all data needs to be packed into USB packages, sent to Wave IO, unpacked, converted to I2S, reclocked………
So also here the KISS principle is valid: Keep It Simple Stuped!

There is a lot of debate on the direct I2S subject elsewhere on this forum.

I have learned that I will focus in the near future on direct I2S streaming to the dac; as this is the spot where we can gain a lot in sound quality. I firmly believe that a small embedded computer will outperform all Win and Mac systems. This is due to building an OS system that only needs to perform the task of streaming audio; all unnessecay processes are taken out of the OS. And even more because the open source software is originated from audio entheusiasts around the world finding the best way to stream audio and not forced by a business model for making money on software.

And I will change the power supply toroid transformer for a simple EI core transformer. This is a tip from the Guru; a traditional EI core is better sounding (and cheaper!), this is also what the Bernt power supply is using.

The above results are my personal opinion but I think all attendees will agree with me

On attached pictures you can see, from left to right: Cees, Stefan, James, Klaus, Hans
The other picture shows: Rheinhard, James, Cees, Klaus, Hans
Unfortunately Ian was a bit later so he missed the group pictures.

A note on Klaus his system: the listening room is very good, very nice acoustics, the Goto units with front horns are super. If I may comment a bit: I would love to hear this system powered with nice triode tube amplifiers.

@Klaus,
Thank you for inviting us to your home and also for taking care of the inner person with the sausages on the BBQ and the soup!
Hans, Cees and I will be glad to invite you all to come to the Netherlands for a listening session at one of our homes in the future!

Kind regards,

Stefan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8524.jpg (570.5 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8526.jpg (1,004.7 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8529.jpg (981.6 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8535.jpg (984.6 KB, 517 views)

Last edited by Supersurfer; 6th April 2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 6th April 2014, 01:38 PM   #1469
ijscobar is offline ijscobar  Netherlands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
4) James's single board DDDAC1794, direct balanced output.

The surprise of the day was number 4, James his Dac with direct balanced out. This was a nice 2nd place behind number 7. It had most of the openness and detail of 7 and I found it sounding clearly better than the standard 1 and 4 board units. If James changes the I/V resistors to some nice Tantalums than it would be the best dac price wize! Also the changes James has made in the power supply pays off here; well-done James!

Stefan
Battle of the DDDAC's!

What were the changes made to James his power supply?

Could you describe the difference between single and multiple boards?
Old 6th April 2014, 01:43 PM   #1470
rhlauranna is offline rhlauranna  Germany
diyAudio Member

let me just "reserve" the space here to add some more photos of the session and text to come later on so that the "coherency" is guaranteed...

Last edited by rhlauranna; 6th April 2014 at 01:46 PM.

A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)Hide this!Advertise here!