XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Okay, my english language skills are killing all of us so, let's keep it simple:
1. This GB is for a daughter board (one that will be attached to WaveIO) which wants to improve WaveIO's functionality by adding USB isolation and retiming the I2S signals right before the DAC chip.
L

From reading through the thread and looking for information about the daughter card, I did not find much. Just the above and wanted to know if S/PDIF out would benefit from the daughter card?

Last edited:
i'm trying to power the board with a 6v 2000ma nicd battery but it can only keep it operational for an hour or so before the voltage drops off.

I don't think WaveIO would withstand to 6Vdc applied to power connector unless oyu find a way to make it work :)! LP5900 will be the first chips that will end up in smoke or simply will short itself internally. I saw this before and that's the main reason why I suggest 5Vdc for external supply (5.6V - 5.7V is the upper limit). In your case you should know that WaveIO is quite a power hungry board and at 5V/380mA in 24/192 streaming will squeeze your battery quite fast. The design wasn't optimized for battery powered option mainly because the PSU used for XMOS core is a linear one and not SMPS as used in XMOS stock designs.

From reading through the thread and looking for information about the daughter card, I did not find much. Just the above and wanted to know if S/PDIF out would benefit from the daughter card?
Not for the moment. The daughter will be designed mostly for the I2S lines but there's time to change my mind. As for now there are no reasons for me to take SPDIF into account... still, I'll not promise to keep my word on that! Anyway, the SPDIF is much easier to wire to the daughter card so any further HW improvements should be easier to do. The I2S is another story.

Hi,

In this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ding-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-478.html there is much to do about I2S signal attenuation to reduce ground bounce on the DAC chip.

Would it be possible to feed the isolator of the isolated I2S output with a lower voltage than 3.3v eg. 1.8v to achieve a similar result?
Thank you, marco
Hello Marco; from what I remember the NVE isolator is not capable to work with 1.8V voltages on its power rails as the minimum operating voltage is specified at 3.0V You can find all the infos here at page 2.
I guess a translator will be good in your case, with this one as a simple example (Edit: Make sure the supply voltages will not cross the 4.5V boundary).
I hope it helps,
L

Hi,
I tried to power the XMOS via J13 by jumping J12.
However, the pc then doesn't recognize that the card
is attached. I use a powered 32ft usb cable, which
works fine when it powers the board.
Any thoughts.
Thanks

Hello Ichiban! Be sure that PSU is capable to source 5Vdc @ 380mA minimum. Moreover, check the polarities on the back side of your card, right under the J13 power connector and that there's a jumper placed on the "EXT" position (again check the back side of your WaveIO card for text description). If all above are done then the Green LED LD1 should lit. Now, you probably placed the second jumper of J8 on the "EXT" position as well (it's a common confusion - I'm fully responsible for that). If so, then put it back to "BRD" position as J8 is wired to the USB multiplexer U2.
J8 on "EXT" = USB Bus is connected to J1 pin-header.
J8 on "BRD" = USB Bus is wired to J7 USB connector.

I hope it helps,
L

Hi Lucian,
the WaveIO board arrives on 9th April. It is a nice piece of art, congretulation for your clean work! Today i got the time to connect it and to listen to it. What i can say is: wow, as clean as your work is the sound coming from the board!

I did some changes to the software values and find out, that it is very essential to set the right latency. Too much or too little latency let the good sound performance go down. Since then i thought the higher the latency the better the quality. Did you or someone else do the same experience?

The board is now only connected via SP/dif and with the power coming from my notebook, this is the min. configuration and the sound is so detailed, open with very clean highs and very realistic soundstage, room and voices. All in all i am very impressed and very happy!

…….What do I2s and a separate low noise power station do to this board…..?

Thanks!!!!!! Lucian

Thank you diy it up for your feedback! With your approval, I'll make sure it will be posted on the testimonials section on WaveIO's web page! As for latency, please share with us your findings!
…….What do I2s and a separate low noise power station do to this board…..?
Well, I guess it's better for you to try and find out :) Coincidently or not, another WaveIO user sent me today his feedback related to I2S and external PSU powering scheme:
"Improvement is very big. I think its because of two reasons. First of all I don't have optimally implemented SPDIF application and secondary WaveIO SQ is fantastic. Now I hear what that converter is able to really. Biggest difference is in scene layering and definition. Its more three dimensional and there's gradation of planes, Sound is also bit smoother."
These are not my words and if he will read my post he can confirm it.
I hope it helps,
Lucian

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hmm, your 255 mA PSU could work for lower sample rates but I do not recommend to use it as I cannot guarantee that your WaveIO will be at its full potential in this case.

Was able to boost the current output of my regulator. Now the card is recognized by the PC . I hear greater resolution of details on low sampled music, will try out higher rates. Well worth the small effort. Thanks for this great board.

Installation Fails

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the WaveIO but the installation fails when he asks to connect the device.
The PC is just not seeing him.

I've tried another PC, also no help.
I supply 5,00 VDC to the Board.
One LED, just above the nameplate is illuminated. I believe it is called LD1.
The J1 Jumper is set to BRD because I choose to plug the USB cable in the existing USB connector on the board.
The USB Cable shows continuity so it is not broken.
I have tried all the versions of the installation software.

Is there something I can check or do?

Many thanks in advance,

Jordo

Hello Jordo, I sent you PM but, to answer here, I guess there's a problem with your external PSU meaning that it is not capable to source at least 380mA @ 5Vdc OR the J12 jumper/pin-header have some issues ?!!?. The LD1 LED will lit even if there are few mAmps on the power rail: is not driven by any XMOS' control pins to see clearly if the processor is "alive" or not.
I'll wait for your messages through PM,
Lucian