DAC gallery

TDA1543

My first one and the one I am using almost exclusively is one Peter Daniel's Audiosector DAC's. This is one of the last ones with the full BG package and also has the Bobken reg on it. Cased in massive ureol (very dense and hard foam) with Amboina veneer and a tinted stripe of plexi.

Attachments

• dac-4.jpg
    dac-4.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 2,217
  • dac-1.jpg
    dac-1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 2,153
  • dac-2.jpg
    dac-2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 2,018
wish I knew where to get those double C-Cores, do you happen to know what brand it is mate? lovely casework as always Stixx! I have a nice chunk of Amboina waiting for a suitable project, very sexy wood. cant say the tda1543 ever did much for me, much lower subjective and objective resolution than the other gear you are using, too 'musical' for my taste

ahh, my mistake, i'm not really up on transformer exotica, what type is it? (nevermind, the link looks right, split bobbin 'semi-toroidal')

I thought C-Core, because i feel pretty sure its exactly the same, or similar model as used in the Berkeley Alpha Dac 2 and when I saw internal pics of that dac, I posted to ask what type of transformer it was and was told double C-Core.

anyway Bas, do you know where I can get smallish dac size C-Core TX? i've seen other good press on C-Cores

Last edited:
anyway Bas, do you know where I can get smallish dac size C-Core TX? i've seen other good press on C-Cores
C-cores are great for output transformer duty. But I don't really see the point as a power transformer. The dual bobbin as used by Peter Daniel is great because it does not let as much rubbish through from the mains even compared to an EI transformer and much more so than a toroidal.

I've never used them...unfortunately I don't know where to get them from either...sorry.

I thought C-Core, because i feel pretty sure its exactly the same, or similar model as used in the Berkeley Alpha Dac 2 and when I saw internal pics of that dac, I posted to ask what type of transformer it was and was told double C-Core.
I did a google for the Berkeley Dac...and it uses dual single bobbin transformers as well. The guys on that forum misinformed you :). They may look similar to C-cores but they are not afaik.

that would be this forum ;) quite a while ago though, not long after the Berkeley Dac was released. yes, clearly incorrect.

I use Mouser all the time, I have mixed feelings about them, love the free shipping on $200+ orders, but their inventory system is quite terrible. not really interested in them if its hybrid EI/toroidal, i'll go R-Cores from selectronic before them and i'm otherwise pretty well stocked for anything in the near future, thanks for checking into it for me though!

nattonrice said:
As to your second q, the Japanese are fond of small C-core power and line transformers.
hmm, so nothing worth less than a small 4 cylinder used car then?

Last edited:
A local winder told me that the dual bobbin transformers as used in the Berkeley DAC are also called UI transformers. The EI as you may know has a single bobbin.
And just like the EI the UI has a laminated core....but its geometry looks almost like a single C-core. In this case a single core with dual bobbins. The advantage is that a larger part of the core is surrounded by the bobbins(similar to that of a toroidal) and therefore has less of a magnetic signature.

The winder told me that they (Berkeley) probably chose a UI transformer because the have a very low profile.

The advantage of a c-core compared to an EI is greater efficiency. (Smaller core (weight ) but with the same "power". This is because the core is a coil of silicium iron just like a toroidal. The EI AND UI have a less efficient geometry