True Wireless Stereo (TWS) Bluetooth for Speakers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
They just play mono and you can use either of the outputs. I suppose for safety, one should add a 200ohm 5W dummy resistor on the unused side. This is also useful for a two way speaker where you biamp the woofer and its crossover separately from the tweeter's crossover.

@Phase: you were able to get this board to operate in TWS mode?

Last edited:
I’ve been playing with these boards lately and have been impressed honestly by how they sound.
I had two of them connect at once the other day, but didn’t play anything to see if they were in accord with one another.

Bluetooth Audio Receiver board Bluetooth5.0 MP3 lossless decoder board Modu$s | eBay

They are based on the Jieli AC6925C receiver chips.

a) Are these TWS boards, they dont mention TWS anywhere?
b) As I understand, in TWS setup the source BT side transmits a stereo channel (typically a mobile phone) and on the receive side there are 2 TWS modules each acting as separate L and R respectively. Thus one can just buy 2 of the modules and make a BT stereo speaker system with it. Is my understanding correct?

From what I've read when in TWS mode one chip acts as the master and one as a slave. The master receives both L and R and transmits one channel to the slave. To overcome latency the master and slave send packets back and forth to determine the round trip latency. The master then sends one channel to the slave, delays 1/2 the round trip latency and then processes the other channel.

I just tried to repeat the dual-connection once again, and while two units will connect at the same time, only the last one paired will play.

Will have to wait a bit for a TWS solution from Jieli, it seems that after some reading that they do have such solutions, were just released earlier this year.

Sorry about the false hopes…

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On mine, you have to press the SW1 for 3 seconds to enable pairing with a new device. Once paired it remembers and you can have several different devices connect to it.

1000872d1638049530-bench-tonight-obt-87bb6553-c5c0-45de-8beb-fe2f8255deca-jpeg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I verified that it puts out the same mono from right or left channel of the same board. I suppose the output could be paralleled to allow driving 2ohm loads (pseudo PBTL?). Not sure if the amp will like that though without changing some other switching parameters. I am only using one channel. On second thought I should have put a dummy resistor on unused channel as Class D amps can blow out from back EMF on inductor when there is no load attached.

There is no DSP on this amp that I am aware of as TPA3116/3118 do not have built in DSP.

It sounds pretty good though. I did have occasional loss of BT connection - the music just stops playing but the phone thinks it is still connected and playing. You just have to do a re-connect and it works again. So that is mildy annoying but happens more if you are doing something else on your phone like surfing the web while it is playing.

TPA3116 is an amp, yes.
However, the brains of that setup (likely the CSR8635) has an ADC, DAC, processor for USB, 5 band eq, probably more.
I look forward to when all the features are configured or accessible anyways.

The Bluetooth 4.0 has much less effective range vs the 5.0 I’ve noticed.

Okay so there's a problem with that. Now granted I didn't watch the entire video but any half decent earbud is going to use the inbuilt Bluetooth SoC to perform DSP on the audio stream to correct for the frequency response irregularities in the earbud drivers.

Hookup some speakers to the output of the earbud system and it's entirely possible that things will sound terrible as the DSP is doing the wrong thing.

So while this could work decently there's also a big chance that it could sound terrible.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think many lower cost earbuds won’t have DSP. The video is more about how to build a speaker with crossover, amp, passive radiator etc. there was a funny comment: “I took a BT earbud and turned it into a house, all I needed was $400k worth of materials and labor”:)

One thing the guy overlooked is ability to push the button on the earbud to reset the BT pairing. It’s not simply done by power cycling. This is true on many earbuds.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Does TWS work with Windows 10 laptop playing youtube? I could never get my laptop to work with TWS ear pods.
Can somebody pls confirm that it works?

My HP laptop with Win 10 works with TWS earbuds. I’m in a 6hr videocon with mine (open ear bone conduction) “AirShokz” .

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just got the AIYIMA TWS amp boards. They look well made but components are smaller and leas expensive than the Tinysine boards. They are mono which is nice. And supposedly to pair TWS you press the button on either board but it becomes the right channel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FCA2736A-29BA-4208-9E5D-D2DC2E3A1AC6.jpg
    FCA2736A-29BA-4208-9E5D-D2DC2E3A1AC6.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,092
That looks like a cool setup. I started to read the CSRA64215 data sheet, is over 100 pages!

I’ll bet those will sound nice with some Panasonic FC caps on the power inputs, the only application (TPA3116) I have found where those parts actually perform better than others.

True Wireless Stereo (TWS) Bluetooth for Speakers

Hi Folks,
I am looking for a way to have two physically separated wirelss Bluetooth speakers play stereo. I do not want a wire connection between the left and the right and I want it to connect like a single BT device. I know that this is possible as I have several earbuds and headphones that do this. They ususally call this TWS (true wireless stereo) and I have searched and searched but have failed to find either a line level TWS receiver pair or a simple Class D amp pair with TWS. I know that if I hacked into the wireless earbuds, I could indeed take the headphone outputs and connect them each to a power amp and make my own TWS amplifier. But that seems silly. Surely, there must be a commercial off the shelf solution for this already?

The idea here is to have a stereo BT speaker set, physically placed in a room. I do not want clutter from a wire running from the left to the right one.

I do not need a lot of power. 5W or 15W woud be enough.
Just a thought, https://www.parts-express.com/home-a-v/Home-Audio-Components/bluetooth-wireless-audio-adapters