True Wireless Stereo (TWS) Bluetooth for Speakers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
True Wireless Stereo (TWS) Bluetooth for Speakers

Hi Folks,
I am looking for a way to have two physically separated wirelss Bluetooth speakers play stereo. I do not want a wire connection between the left and the right and I want it to connect like a single BT device. I know that this is possible as I have several earbuds and headphones that do this. They ususally call this TWS (true wireless stereo) and I have searched and searched but have failed to find either a line level TWS receiver pair or a simple Class D amp pair with TWS. I know that if I hacked into the wireless earbuds, I could indeed take the headphone outputs and connect them each to a power amp and make my own TWS amplifier. But that seems silly. Surely, there must be a commercial off the shelf solution for this already?

The idea here is to have a stereo BT speaker set, physically placed in a room. I do not want clutter from a wire running from the left to the right one.

I do not need a lot of power. 5W or 15W woud be enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• TWS.png
    TWS.png
    420.7 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the link, Jjasniew. That looks like a good option as welll. The Tinysine amps seem to be really well built with large caps and a heatsink and bigger inductors. But of course the price is higher. I’ll get a few different varieties to try out. These seem like a great option to only have to plug in a small DC PSU. You could even use LiPo and battery management system with DCDC step up.

Here is just the TWS BT module. You can connect any amp you want. I am thinking the TDA7297 is a nice option as well as it is Class AB and we can avoid more DCDC switch noise.

How to Pair and Set the TWS Bluetooth Audio Receiver Board

Last edited:
Yeah, TinySine is pretty good, having a nice grasp on what people would want.

I was looking at that BT module, as I wanted something that acted virtually like my BT headphone / microphone set, but I could plug anything (a mixer) into the mic port, anything (an amplifier) into the headphone port.

That's the ONLY device I could find that will do that. That it does TWS too, well, such a deal!

One confusing aspect of TWS is, after target-to-target device pairing, which device assumes "Left" and which one assumes "Right"? If the device is stereo output, does it know to go into mono mode? I'd have to assume so...but assumptions like that lead to finding out you only get one working channel in TWS - after purchase, of course! ;')

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I ordered some from Tinysine and some from Ali. Will try them all. I was wondering about which is left and right also. In usual tradition of audio, I believe channel 1 and master is Left and channel 2 and slave is right?

This is going to be cool because we can have bookshelf speakers located anywhere with a wallwart for power. We power from our phones.

I wonder if in TWS, if you feed auxiliary RCA or 3.5mm stereo input to the master, does it play stereo automatically or that is only for BT connection?

Last edited:
I think I've found a few BT amp boards that will work with the 1Mii. Tinysine has a few, but I'd like to find strictly one channel boards.

1 x 200W Bluetooth+DSP Mono Amplifier Board - TSA7550B(Apt-X)

Dayton Audio KAB-100Mv2 1 x 100W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with aptX HD Bluetooth 5.0

This one is a two-channel in which you would only use the left channel:
2 x 50W Bluetooth Stereo Audio Amplifier Board - TSA3118B(TWS/Apt-X)

I like the idea of having a volume control on each speaker and the option to use batteries, like the KAB from Dayton Audio.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just received the Tinysine TSA3118B(TWS) amp. It is really nicely made high quality board. The inductors are on small side but caps are Rubycon. It was shipped from China FedEx Express so got here in like 4 days - this was the basic $25 rate.

Connecting it in TWS mode is a bit tricky if you watch the video as they did not make it clear that the button press sequence for the master vs slave are different. Master is S1+S3 and slave is S1+S2. Once connected though it remembers that it is a TWS setup with the phone or whatever device you connected to it. I am not sure if pairing a new BT device would be simply connecting only to the master and not having to do the TWS pairing anymore. The sequence would not be very user friendly if it had to be done everytime you had a new device you want to connect.

It sounds pretty good though - typical TI TPA3116 sound, which is to say, quite good. There is a small amount of hiss from the speakers but nothing audible from 12 in away. No annoying BT static/buzz or anything like that - typical Class D amp sounds. I am using 12v SMPS wall warts. I have big 24v ones but the 5.5mm barrel jack doesn't fit. The amp does have screw terminals for power in though. Also RCA's for auxilary input plus JST 3-pin jack for another source. Also JST header for external control buttons for volume, pause/play, prev track or next track too.

I know everyone is wonderin: the master is the right channel and slave is left channel. This can be reprogrammed if you have a 6pin programmer and follow their instructions.

Overall, a nice product. I checked the left right using a YouTube left/right test track video and it is stereo for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user