500W of ICEpower for USD$100, deal or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
The P87B should be perfect for this purpose.
Please keep in mind it needs a carefully cleaned, stable +- 12-18 volt supply, which is included in some other designs.
The "better" supplies use LM 317/ 337 regulators, not 78xx/79xx ones.

Thanks for that info.

Project 87 link

Looks very simple and described as "...ideal to use as a power amplifier bridging adapter."

You may (should) find a +- supply in the amp module, as the custom pre amp of the module is powered somehow too.
I can not tell you if this bridging module will work well with tis raw voltage. I would always use some kind of conditioning. So if the housekeeping voltage of the ICE module is +-12V, put at least a resistor and capacitor (not too large!) in line with it to keep dirt out of the analog OP-amps. It doesn´t matter if you loose two volts, as the input is driven to clip with 1 volt anyhow. So +- 10 volt will give quite a lot of headroom.
Clean power supply is most important to any analog stage.
If your space allows, use something like this:
LM317 LM337 Adjustable Filtering Power Supply Module Voltage Regulator NJ | eBay

Be aware that any component you add will need a perfect grounding, so make some kind of plan how everything it is connected. A starting point is always to use a single post for all components, otherwise you will face humming.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.

The 125ASX2 supplies +/- 24VDC unregulated. According to 50ASX2 designer's manual, you can use up to 1000uF caps with 3 ohm res in series with Aux supply. Larger series resistors for bigger caps and 10 ohms for about 6 milliF on the graph. They have a sample +/-12V regulated supply circuit using L7812/L7912 under the statement: "If the application requires drawing pulsating currents with a frequency of less than 20kHz from the AUX supply special care should be taken to avoid unwanted tones being audible on the output."

The FA-500 used very simple circuit with NJM78L00/NJM79L00 series +/- 15V regs.

That is exactly the board I am planning to use. A couple suppliers with US address. Says "This is a finished product". I'll believe it when I see it. Also, I've had bad LM317s in the past. Bought them from the Shack (RS).

Grounding can be a challenge. I have found it's best to star ground the signal grounds connected close to the input, and separately ground the power supply grounds. That's where it may be best to buy a PCB from ESP in AU. Plan to perf board. I will need to carefully read the 50 designer's manual for proper grounding.

Last edited:
Here is a complète schematic with PSU section and pre-amp section for ASX SE modules :

attachment.php

Pre-amp section is not much different than this project that I use with 50ASX2 SE modules :

Project files: Opamp buffer for ICEpower ASX-modules | theslowdiyer

PSU section for ASX modules also available from same designer :

Project files: The BalBUF and PSU | theslowdiyer

BR Pascal

Attachments

• preamp-fur-xxxasx2_425208.jpg
    preamp-fur-xxxasx2_425208.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 694
  • 20160611_094917.jpg
    20160611_094917.jpg
    955.8 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
It seems there may be several factors. Does your case have vent holes? What is the chassis material, steel or aluminum? A perforated top cover would certainly help. The FA-500 tried to have the heat sink contact the bottom of the chassis, but on mine, only about 10% of the heat sink was actually in contact with the chassis, so bad execution of the design. It also has a fan. In my experience, the heat sink in the FA-500 chassis never got above 120 deg F. The fan never came on. The 125ASX2 has thermal protection, and will shut down if it gets too hot. Heat shortens component life. This is DIY, so try it, measure temps, brainstorm and modify.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.