The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

My experience is this: I have 10 FA plate amps in various studio monitors in studios in Sydney. The first batch seemed to have some random failures within first few hours or week of use, mostly amp modules, but one DSP. Hypex replaced the failures and had decent communication throughout the process. I think when the prices have gone up, maybe the QC also, the recent modules have had less issues.

I would like to see FIR filters, PowerCon/TrueCon connectors for AC, and the ability to have both start on signal and auto input selections enabled at the same time.

I got my hands on a pair of FA503's not long after they were launched (2 yrs ago?) Had to RMA one of them for a faulty DSP module, then RMA the other for some sort of amp/relay power failure, and for a while now one of them randomly crashes every few hours and has to be restarted. I am weary of dismantling the speaker and shipping the unit overseas...

I should say that have also been using a newer pair of FA253 and they seem to be working OK. There has been a few software issues that were quite annoying but have seemed to be mostly solved with newer firmware.

These Fusion amps are a convenient and flexible way to power active speakers andf I am hoping Hypex hits its stride soon and gets everything to work reliably. I don't see much out there in the market to compete. Hypex customer service is good as well. However, IMO the complaints in this thread are legitimate.

Last edited:
I have a problem when my two FA253 forgets the settings after power off. I try to run them without remote, with a fixed gain and wake on optical for the left speaker. The right is connected to SPDIF (and wake on signal). Most times when I turn on the speakers they show as "muted" in HFD. How should I set up a 2-way just active speaker (with external preamp) that wakes on signal? Thanks!

The right is connected to SPDIF (and wake on signal). Most times when I turn on the speakers they show as "muted" in HFD. How should I set up a 2-way just active speaker (with external preamp) that wakes on signal? Thanks!

The right should be set to slave. When it's set to slave, the wake on signal option isn't available. So, if you see that option means you set both to master, which isn't correct. Set the second to slave.

The master will listen to input and wake up when there is a reasonably strong signal. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen in 100% cases. From time to time I have to turn modules off from remote and turn on again to make them work as expected.

I believe you need to buy a remote.

Thanks. Remote is essential is seems. To clarify from my side; right as master, without remote, should be able to wake on signal AND wake left (slave) without the remote kit installed?
I still have the problem: when I power toggle the amps they go into mute mode (but remember the right input). Can this be avoided with some setting? What I want is that both amps got to: RCA in (L/R) and 0dB, after power on. Without remote.

Other than this, the modules are awesome. I will post pictures of my build when I'm finished.

No, I'm done with the amps and Hypex products in general.

[...]

And no, they did not sound magical to me. They sounded like competently designed D-class amps, which are common and inexpensive these days. The DSP / DAC is not impressive by itself either. You can buy more for less these days and keep everything outboard to minimize the overall project risk.
Caveat emptor

My personal experience with Hypex is also not the best. I have a AS2.100 and Hypex did not solve the problem that the amp is not recognized by windows (as a USB device) which was my original intended use. There was also a part missing which I asked for and never received. Both after several e-mails which either have been ignored or partly answered in a not really friendly way.

Normally I would love to buy the fusion amps, but they also seem overpriced to me (for 2020) and they are too large IMO and due my bad experience I am looking for other solutions. Unfortunately there are not so many options out there, which do not require to built for your self or are built of more parts, which makes it bigger and more complex again to have a nice setup for active speakers.

So, which other options you mentioned come to your mind? I'm very interested in those! :)

Hi,
I am working on getting my LX521 right with the fusions. I am having problems with the steepness of a LR4 LP 7,5k. The fusion manual says 2 x LP2@q0.71.
It does not match when I compare with minidsp(or Najda). Can anybody help?

br,
Paal

Attachments

• Fusion_vs minidsp.png
    Fusion_vs minidsp.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 375
Oh my, stop the press.. It is a whole 1db of at -24db
Although the error seems small, there is something strange going on at higher frequencies.

Up to approximately 5 kHz all filter slopes are fine, but at higher frequencies the slopes are not accurate anymore and HP and LP slopes get different.
The sum of two LR4 filters is not constant at XO frequencies above 5kHz. I could not find a way to properly compensate for this behaviour.
Also when you move the XO frequency higher with your mouse, you see the slope change. You can also move them outside the graphical design window.
At first I thought this was only an error in HFD, but the response of the filter in the FusionAmp is similar to that shown in HFD.