The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Try to aim at a frequency range were the impedance is flat(ish) to get a more predictable/smooth response in the stop band.
Most of the time that implies a corner frequency well below driver's Fs.

Here is the data sheet: http://viawave.ru/files/GRT145_en.pdf

Impedance curve is flat(isch) around 700-900Hz.
Would that be the best corner point?
Fs is 900Hz
So a cap value of around 50uF.

Does rhe cap influence SQ?

1 biquad is 12db, 2 biquads 24.
I reread the manual, now iI start to understand. There are 9 biquad types:

Biquad function Parameters Use
Unity - Section is not used
Lowpass 1 - Cut-off frequency (always -3dB) - 6 dB First order lowpass
Lowpass 2 - Cut-off frequency asymptotically) Q - 12 dB Second order lowpass.
Highpass 1 - Cut-off frequency (always -3dB) - 6 dB First order highpass
Highpass 2 - Cut-off frequency asymptotically) - 12 dB Second order highpass
Shelf1 - Centre Frequency (halfway point) Gain Direction - 6 dB First order shelf. Useful for baffle-step correction
Shelf2 - Centre Frequency (halfway point) Gain /Q /Direction - 12dB Second order shelf. For steep corrections.
Asymmetric Shelf - Pole frequency and Q Zero frequency and Q - Equalising the bottom end of closed-box woofers with large magnets
Boost/Cut - Centre frequency Q /gain Dip/peak filter.

For my sub with the big magnet the Asymmetric Shelf is very interesting.
Because it is a center speaker a delay is not useful I think. So this tip is not valid then:
Delaying higher frequency drivers with respect to lower-frequency ones is a powerful alternative to using asymmetric slopes and yields substantially improved coherence through the crossover region [p15]

I have been looking into the "protection department", yould anyone please add:

- is there a possibility to set limiters (RMS, Peak, etc..) in the DSP?
- If driven by heavy bass, how much is the PMS capable of putting out? Any spec sheets available for the product range?
- The modules don´t seem to be air tight. This calls for the need of an closed chamber in the box - how about thermal issues - is there a protection, forced cooling option?
- the powercon of the Successor was nice, any reason why it was ommited?

During the past 10 years I have been developing amplifier module technology, also post-filter self-oscillating, but aimed at intensive professional use, including:
- Accurate limiting, also channel power and PSU limiting.
- Thermal management.
- Voice coil protection based in dynamic resistance measurement.
- Accurate compensation of thermal compression.

The idea of these features comes from the experience cranking up (and fixing) systems for events and parties for years.

I have just offered Hypex to start a partnership.

btw: Hornresp is great!

Does anybody know if its possible to use a mono sum from AES for one channel? Will the software provide such features?

I am thinking of using two of the 253 for a 2.1 setup: Both Modules supplied via AES. The third channel of one Fusion plate amp will be responsible for powering the subwoofer.

One could also trhink of it as a active 3-way setup where one LF driver is missing. Obviously, the single woofer needs to be fed a downmixed mono signal.

Thanks a lot!!

But they are available to consumers (living rooms) also...

I understand residential, it's related to color, shape and volatile chemistry.
th

There is also the discipline of transferring heat to the bodies of a crowd through sound waves.

Yes. Did you notice the form factor of these plates? They are tall, but narrow, just like many modern floorstanders. Do you think that's because of random chance or sound quality reasons?

To my eyes that's made so on purpose to allow use with narrow cabinet designs, among other things. I think that's a very smart move from Hypex! High performance doesn't need to be ugly. Actually, looks are rather important factor nowadays.

There are a few companies making a range of modules whose PCB has ~8cm width and ~20cm length now, Pascal, Powersoft, Hypex.

But these designs are clearly inferior to rack amplifiers in the protection, overload control, and durability areas. There is an uncovered gap of functionality between the modules and input DSP boards. The modules lack some key functions that are hard (noisy/inaccurate) to implement in input boards.

High SPL performance is not good. The modules have a unpleasant dirty clipping response when you need more SPL, or just shut down in the middle of the performance. The modules have no current monitoring for accurate power limiting, so the DSP has to be set conservatively, for less SPL. The power supply in Pascal and Powersoft is dirtier than a conventional rectifier, it has negative input resistance, drawing big peaks at begin and end of conduction! It seems Hypex decided to go for a more classic SMPS with conventional rectifier, I agree too, in case someone is not sure something is a step forward it is better to keep existing technology).

The width to length ratio >1 improves mechanical strength and control of cabinet resonances compared to a square plate. This format is suitable for tall narrow Hi-Fi enclosures, but also for trapezoidal professional enclosures, including line arrays.

Well, I have a design in that format, whose protections, overload control, and durability areas match or exceed those of the best rack amplifiers, it integrates all the functions hard to implement in input board. Power output also matches mid power range of rack amplifiers, at 2KW short term PSU per module. Modulation is balanced pahse-shift self-oscillating (Sigma Delta), doing one convergence calculation for each half switching cycle, with an integrator to improve THD and LF PSRR. Power supply is also based in a convergence calculation for each switching cycle, self oscillating (no other way to do a clean single stage PFC). Quality of power circuits matches or exceeds current Hypex work, with few RF resonances all well damped. It innovates over current Hypex work in the management of intermodulation effects between closely arrayed self-oscillating class-D channels. I was able to squeeze 4 channels in ~25cm length.

Last edited: