The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Meanwhile, let's talk about reliability. Too many of the Hypex's previous plate amp units have suffered from reliability issues. A clean slate with a new product range is a good idea, but can any of you highlight any improvements on reliability with FusionAmps? From what I've heard, the previous plates' amp modules were good, but it was the other circuitry that failed.

Is it possible that there may be a plate amp that has a slave out?

I was looking at getting a plate amp and then just having that plate amp also power the other passive unit. If not I would have to use a pair of plate amps instead. Just wondering about options is all. Dont need a lot of power. Could always make a channel go to a speakon and then connect from there on a 2 channel plate amp.

Is there an "application note" from Hypex or somewhere online, detailing how to use a Fusion plate amp to replace the amplifier modules in a Mackie SRM-450 active PA loudspeaker? These are ubiquitous PA speakers widely used professionally, that have been around for decades and are widely available for reuse and recycling due to aging built-in amplifiers.(see YouTube ).
Replacement drivers widely available: Amazon.com: CELESTION TF1230S 12" Replacement Woofer for Mackie: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: SS Audio 2 Pack Mackie Speaker Replacement Horn Diaphragm, SRM450, 1701-8, DC10, D-SRM450: Electronics )

IMHO this would be an ideal use of a fusion amp (e.g. FA252 FA502 or bridged FA253 w/ 500w for woofer, 100w for tweeter). The new plate amp would drive the high frequency compression horn formerly driven by Mackie's 150W Class A/B amp. The 12" woofer with "3 inch voice coil and servo feedback control" was formerly driven by a 300W Mackie class-D amp.

The main problem is using the DSP to emulate the unpublished active crossover, employing "24db/octave Linkwitz-Riley electronic crossover and electronic time correction, phase alignment and EQ". From the specs, "Crossover Linkwitz-Riley, 24 dB/octave @ 1600 Hz" http://www.veranstaltungstechnikmueller.de/pdf/Mackie_SRM_450_Datenblatt.pdf

I'm sure it's pretty "cookbook" to emulate "Linkwitz-Riley, 24 dB/octave @ 1600 Hz" in DSP, but the unknowns are the time/phase alignment between the drivers, and the relative level of the compression-horn tweeter w/r/t/ the 12" woofer. I would imagine those would be easy enough to measure if one had a loudspeaker testing facility, which I don't :) .

Anybody else think this is a good idea -- an audiophile SRM-450 upgrade?

I would think Hypex could sell a lot of units if they developed an "application note" and published the example DSP settings for such an active speaker plate amp replacement. It would also make for a much more ubiquitous and widely available and cheaper "intro to DSP-based active loudspeaker" project versus, e.g., the SEAS-based loudspeaker used by Hypex to demo [Review] Hypex AS2.100 active speaker module - [English] :

was sent two complete loudspeakers, built with SEAS drivers and including matching stands. They use the Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT H1499 metal dome tweeter with DXT lens, the Seas U18RNX/P H1571-08 6.5" woofer and the Seas SP18R H9944 passive radiator. The radiators are mounted in the side of the speakers, and the actual AS2.100 unit sits at the back, in a separate compartment. These are actually demo speakers built by Hypex for audio shows and are not available for purchase. If you want a system like this, you will have to build your own

-- Niels Mayer
http://nielsmayer.com

w/r/t specs on these plate amps, I note
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/18TH/Fusion.pdf
FA122: NC122MP
FA123: NC122MP + NC100HF
FA251: NC250MP
FA252: NC252MP
FA253: NC252MP + NC100HF
FA501: NC500MP
FA502: NC502MP
FA503: NC502MP + NC1

The datasheets on the above NCXXXMP modules are readily available on the Hypex Site, e.g., https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/ncore_mp/nc502mp/Documentation/NC502MP_02xx_03xx.pdf

However, for the FusionAmp, I'm not clear on the input circuitry, and other potential stages of A/D and D/A for analog inputs. Can A/D and the DSP be bypassed, for single channel use (e.g., FA251 FA501)? For the use-case of plate-amp-as-monoblock (equivalent to Nord Hypex NCore, B&O ICE Power 1200AS NC500 NC400 Amps For Sale ), what are the specs on the input circuit of the FusionAmp?

Other than the power-save-while-idle feature of the new "MP" series, how does the sound and specs compare to the now-venerable NC400 + SMPS600N400 combo? I understand the NC400 has a "discrete input buffer" whereas the new NCXXXMP require an external buffer provided by the system integrator.

In the new single-channel FusionAmp models, what is the signal path from XLR analog in to NCXXXMP? In the multichannel FusionAmps, what DAC is used tp render the output the SPDIF inputs and/or DSP? (Or is there a "direct digital" way of driving these class-D amps??)

In terms of audiophile use, is the NC400 potentially better-sounding with its built-in discrete input buffer versus whatever is used on the FusionAmp (and Nord)? Why is the NC400/SMPS combo so much more expensive than the above NC502MP and the corresponding FA502 or FA503?

Thanks,
-- Niels Mayer
Main.WebHome - NielsMayer