TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

But we remember that the THD figure doesn't really affect the subjective perception of sound? It is rather important that
a) the spectral composition of harmonics when operating on a complex load
b) the relationship between harmonics
c) a change in the spectral composition of distortions from power, frequency and load
d) the complex output impedance of the amplifier in the range of frequencies and loads and many more things that are one or two numbers in standard tests are not described, what can you do ... (С)

Can you share your test data now that weekend has passed and that setup was made?

I say that data is worth 1000 words.

For those who want measurements,

I share you a very good link with about 300 amps compared. (source ASR) :
from the best to the worst

And you will see that performance and price are not always concomitant...
Some enthusiasts will tell you that an Accuphase P4500 or a Mcintosh MA9000 will always sound better than a Purifi ... The Audiophile world also requires a sensory perception that goes beyond measurements, there is always a part of subjectivity in the preference , it is obvious .... But I am convinced that a good measure also reveals a good "musical and expert"ear)

SINAD list for 3rd party measured amplifiers - Google Sheets

I hope to see a worthy TPA3255 at the top of the list)
Cdsgames and Drmordor, we rely on you )

True, measurements are very important to get good sound. On the other hand it has its limitations. Just 2 examples:

1. Take a Japanese amp from the 80's like Yamaha and compare the data vs lets say an integrated 300B SE triode amp. Yamaha wins hands down by a large margin. But in direct comparison the Yamaha will sound unbearable.

2. Even a $300.000 measuring equipment cant tell you if the mid driver of a 3-way system is metal or paper cone. But the village idiot can hear the difference in seconds.

Measuring equipment is very useful and needed to get good results but it is endlessly stupid, it cant even sort out the simplest things...

Very important: low noise and low output impedance.
SMPS is better linear PSU

Is this another theoretical claim or did you made a listening test? I'm very interested cos some claim linear sounds better and others claim no difference in sound.

Last time I made a listening test linear vs SMPS (with a Tripath D-Amp) the linear was too slow and slightly muddy. Meanwell won over an expensive toroidal with top of the shelf Nichicon caps (KZ & FG) and chokes.

Last edited:
Even a $300.000 measuring equipment cant tell you if the mid driver of a 3-way system is metal or paper cone. But the village idiot can hear the difference in seconds.

Measuring equipment is very useful and needed to get good results but it is endlessly stupid, it cant even sort out the simplest things...

I agree.. take a look a this (got it from ASR) but keep in mind : SINAD at 5W 1kHz 4 ohms seems very representative measurement of real use (moderate volume, frequency that our hearing is most sensitive, most common speaker impedance), but probably does not tell all things.

SINAD list for 3rd party measured amplifiers - Google Sheets

I think there is always a part of marketing and commercial orientation in the measures ... take a good look at the above Excel table and check the measures announced by the manufacturers, I take the example for BOSC Gan Modules, in this table is only ranked 20th and when I wrote to Orchardaudio to announce this ranking to him, he rather seemed to tell me that the results of the table didn't mean so much ...
I think the measurements differ from one piece of equipment to another and probably the measurement techniques too!

Last edited:
Dude, I made 4 versions of the amplifier on TPA3255, made 3 versions of the SMPS, so this is not a theory, this is practice.

I disagree.

It's not about LPS or smps, but rather a few things that are measurable. Noise, first. Compare the 2 up to 20khz. LPS has an advantage in terms of load response since it has no feedback hence no delay. Keep in mind that not all LPS are equal nor are smps.

So it's not as simple as LPS vs smps but rather test data. Again :)

My self made preamplifier with mains filter and external mains transformer. The knob fronts are real ebony & ivory. All case sides are 10mm aluminium.
The transport case was made by me and a french friend.

7f7ebcabadc092ea7fbe5048edf7e4cf.jpg

Weight: 16,5kg The weight was calculated by 2 experts so I can put the pre in 1m distance to a speaker playing 20Hz@120dB without anything resonating.

Last edited: