Some rambling calculation on TPA3116/8 filters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That doesn't seem to work:

attachment.php

A highish resistance of 470 Ohms is like an open circuit (i.e. it doesn't have any effect), regardless of the capacitor used.

The low resistance value seems to be important. This is what happens when I leave it at 4R7 and only change the capacitor:

attachment.php

There must be something more to it than the time constant (which is around 1.5kHz for 4R7/22uF :confused:)

These plots were all done with the S6 speaker model, don't let the labels mislead you.

Attachments

• zobel01.png
    zobel01.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 326
  • zobel02.png
    zobel02.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 332
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Here's a first frequency response test with a blue "Sanwa" TPA3118 board, powered by a 19V laptop brick. The JVC speaker and model were used for this test.

I probably cheated a bit here, but maybe not. The simulation was done with 10uH and 400nF on the output filter, to achieve a peak around 90kHz, like in the real-world measurement. The actual ceramic filter capacitor measures more like 800nF in-circuit, but due to it being ceramic, it might have less capacitance with the output voltage applied. Apart from that, the graphs line up pretty well I think.

Red trace is speaker-only, black trace is with an added Zobel comprised of 4R7 and two anti-serial 47uF electrolytics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll make some THD measurements soon.

Attachments

• jvc_meas.png
    jvc_meas.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 275
  • jvc_sim.png
    jvc_sim.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 268
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Now check power dissipation inside zobel res and you will find it burning with 47uf zobel cap at frequencies of several khz with higher output levels.
zobel cap should not exceed 3xfilter cap, 47uf are an absolute no go.
a ltspice power loss simulation will confirm this.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
attachment.php

THD seems to be mostly unaffected. Above 5kHz it starts to increase a little less steep with the zobel (gray trace).

a ltspice power loss simulation will confirm this.

Sure, there's some current going through the zobel resistor, but how much high frequency energy is there in actual music? The switching frequency is of no concern, and a quick test (about two minutes) with a 7kHz sine wave at ear splitting volumes (1.5VRMS at the speaker) just barely got that resistor warmed up slightly. The resistor won't burn up from an idling amp and it probably won't burst in flames during normal listening.

attachment.php

Blue = total current
Red = speaker current
Green = zobel current

Attachments

• tpa3118_thd-vs-freq.png
    tpa3118_thd-vs-freq.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 279
  • zobel_current.png
    zobel_current.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 256
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
depends and what you call normal listening. for instance one microphone feedback at 5khz in a live situation, and your resistor is magic smoke.
All in all this configuration exhibits a power bandwidth limited far below 20khz. if that is acceptable for you i am fine.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
All in all this configuration exhibits a power bandwidth limited far below 20khz. if that is acceptable for you i am fine.

No mic's here, just music :D.

I guess I can live with that for some background music in my kitchen. I'll compare the stock version with the zobeled one, to see whether it really makes an audible difference. Probably won't use those small amps for my main speakers, though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
No mic's here, just music :D.

I guess I can live with that for some background music in my kitchen. I'll compare the stock version with the zobeled one, to see whether it really makes an audible difference. Probably won't use those small amps for my main speakers, though.
This may work under normal conditions. On the other hand this may work without the zobel as well. All in all this is a general weakness of pure prefilter feedback.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The THD actually got worse after my modifications :eek:. It's more like 0.07% now (blue trace) instead of 0.02% like before. Reducing the gain to the minimum of 20dB helped to counter this, but with a slight penalty above 1kHz still remaining (green trace).

attachment.php

I'm not sure what exactly causes this, but it's probably the output capacitors. For one they're now actually 1uF and not changing capacitance with voltage like the ceramics did, but being polyester types they surely have a somewhat higher ESR. Does that make any difference? :confused:

attachment.php

That's where the peak is supposed to show with 1uF caps: closer to 60kHz than 90kHz (colors swapped this time; peak without the zobel).

Attachments

• tpa3118_thd-vs-freq_mod.png
    tpa3118_thd-vs-freq_mod.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 353
  • jbl_mod_meas.png
    jbl_mod_meas.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 358
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.